1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Speaking in Tongues ... Does YOUR Church Allow it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 16, 2014.

?
  1. We have members who speak in tongues ...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. We do not allow tongues, period ....

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. While we recognize this as a viable gift, we do not teach that it is mandatory ...

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. We do not teach that tongues is for this day and age ...

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  5. I know of Baptist church(es) that have tongue talkers ...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I know some believers who talk in tongues and attend a Baptist church ...

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. I know some pastors that do not oppose the gift of tongues ....

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  8. Our pastor does not oppose the gift of tongues ...

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. This is preposterous, and nothing more than Scriptural heresy ...

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  10. I speak in tongues, and have no problem with it ...

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed. For instance the gift of prophecy is, at this point, the ability to teach God's written Word.
    Hence the admonition to "covet to prophesy", and "all prophesy".

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you can redine that term and gift, but in the context of acys, was when people spoke infallible revelation from God as a NT Apsotle/prophet, due to there being no completed canon yet!

same way for tongues, as no need to have them continue, due to their puropose being fulfilled!

3. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Joe 2:28
    28 And it shall come to pass afterward,
    that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh;
    and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
    your old men shall dream dreams,
    your young men shall see visions:

Act 2:16-17
    16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

1Co 14:31-37
    31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
    32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
    33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
    34 Let your women keep silence in the churches:for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home:for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
    36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? 37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

So your 'daughters prophesying' was the revealing of the canon?

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.
    Not!
    We prophesy when we preach the revealed canon, now.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    peter said that pentacost FULFILLED in their hearing those prophecies of Joel, and the last days in NT was time since ascension, as we have been in the 'last days" some 2000 years now!

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct--except it may not be in the native religion per se, but in the culture or legends.

6. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

So how was daughters prophesying fulfilled?

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it is you who needs to be judged?

The last time I heard something as preposterous as this was at a five-fold church, where the prophets were judging those in the fellowship of having devils within them ... maybe it is you who are in need of judgement, brother.

I don't take lightly my relationship with Jesus, and I know to whom I am a child of, and it isn't the "Evil one!" The question is, do you truly know whom you are serving? You sound to me like a clandestine, five-fold ministry prophet from the kind of churches, I stay a long way from!

Be blessed my brother, and try not to worry about me ... my heart is his ... my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life, and I am at peace with myself and the fact that I am headed to heaven! :thumbs:

8. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

I said " if" on purpose. I do not presume to know you.

I was speaking a principle, and testifying of that which I have seen and heard.

Here is another principle:
    Bible tongues, are heard in the language that the hearer was born in, and a sign unto the lost, not the saved.
    1Co 14:22
    22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Deviation from this, makes one a suspect of divination, of being a medium for devils.

Pray the Father in the language you were born in, sing in the language that your ears understand, or else how do you know if the spirits are tricking you? Have they no guile?
    Don't trust the uncertain sound, it cant be judged.

1Co 14:16
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

See, this is practical. How does anyone know that the prayer is done, or what was said, so that they can say "amen" to it?

And a reminder:

1Co 14:10
    10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

This is what tongues meant to Paul. The definition was limited.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the next day we left and came to Caesarea, and entering the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, we stayed with him. 9Now this man had four virgin daughters who were prophetesses. 10As we were staying there for some days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea.…
    acts 21:8-10 Esv

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, but consider this...

.... your argument on this topic has two camps. One believes as you and that Paul was speaking against the use of tongues. THE other camp believes that Paul has access to tongues, and was nly admonishing the church for making tongues the focal point of the Gospel message!

I don't believe that you or the others will actually know for sure what Paul was saying or meant when he spoke these things. This is one more issue that will not be understood fully until we all get to heaven and hear directly from Paul, as he teaches us and shares the true meaning of tongues in, let's say, his speaking in tongues, while a Baptist brother serve to interpret for those from the camp that didn't belief in tongues ... :smilewinkgrin:

Of course, I was only playing with you when I spoke of Paul speaking in tongues in heaven!

Thanks for you warm, intelligent response ... :thumbsup:

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's totally besides the point, brother. If God wanted us all to make lemon juice from oranges picked from an apple tree he could.

The question is not about "What COULD God do?"

The question is, "What did God SAY?"

He speaks in His Word and in his word we never see this foolishness of gibberish. It was languages. That's what everybody knew before the birth of this backwards mess. Read any commentary written before the Azusa Street Revival and you'll see that. This gibberish mess people spew out into the air while in a state of mindless ecstacy is TOTALLY unbiblical. "Tongues" in the Bible WERE LANGUAGES. I say again. Tongues in the Bible were LANGUAGES. LANGUAGES. Real, languages that men spake.

Also, in His Word we very easily see that the pattern of miracles is that they pop on the scene for a short while and then go away. Again, nobody expects to see the local Pentecostal preacher part the Red Sea. They figure that that is a miracle for a specific people at a specific time for a specific purpose. But when it comes to "tongues" their brains ooze out their ears and they think that all of the sudden, FOR NO APPARENT REASON, God has made miracles PERMANENT. There's NO precedent for that in the Bible, but... WHO CARES? Who cares what the BIBLE shows??? Somebody jumped up and shouted some nonsense at church last night and I felt something! That must be the HOLY GHOST!!!

And we don't want to let the Bible get in the way of feelings we like!!!

#71 Luke2427, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is you opinion ...

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." Romans 8:26 (NIV)

You know something ... I do not want to be around people like you on judgement day, people who refer to the language of the Spirit as follish gibberish.

I am not saying that you are right as to what you call the words of those who talk, sing and pray in tongues, but if in any way, this is of the Spirit, you will have some 'splainin' to do Lucy!

I have made it a practice, in my life, to not cal things that are from God ... FOOLISH! You see, I happen to disagree with you on prayer language and singing in the spirit, and because I practice it, it is not "foolish gibberish" to me, and I seriously doubt if it is foolish to the Holy Ghost! You see, I happen to believe it is for real, and for today as much as it was back at pentecost! I do not believe, for a New York minute, that what the Spirit has given to me is the devils words, or foolishness, or even gibberish! And more importantly, I believe that God knows exactly what is in my heart, in my spirit and upon my tongue every time I speak to him, be it in what you and I call English, or what I call, prayer language! I do not spend my entire prayer time in foolish gibberish, but rather, I flow back-and-forth, in-and-out of English and my heavenly language, and never once to I sense that God is not able to understand me! In fact I believe that he takes my spirutal "groanings" directly to the throne of God, and in turn God hears [because He supposedly already knows my needs - He is merely wating for me to verbalize those needs] my heart and replies.

It is not for me to question what I believe He has given me ...and wile you have every right to question the validity of tongues, I'd be extremely careful calling that language and questionable gift, "FOOLISHNESS AND GIBBERISH! That my dear brother is crossing a line that you may regret.

If you don't accept this, fine! But refrain from the names you call it. It could take away from any rewards you may have laid up for yourself in heaven! Just my opinion, but worth taking note of!

I mean, just because some people don't believe in let's say the baptism by immersion; or using substitutes for the Lord's supper [grape juice and leavened bread products]; or footwashing; or alter-call slavation experiences; healing; letting people absolve themselves through personal prayer; or being born again by simply praying and asking Jesus to come into more better than how we view these doctrines. After all, there are truly many different ways to worship, serve and minister the Gospel of Christ, and not one is better than or more incorrect than another, and for sure they are not worthy of being called foolishness or gibberish!

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RD2,do you also do your "tongues" in church services or just privately?

14. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right. This was years after the Day of Pentecost, and those girls' prophecies weren't made part of the canon.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    righteousdude2

"

This text does not speak of any kind of tongue at all.You and others appeal to it...but alaleo....means...NOT ABLE TO BE SPOKEN.....NOT UTTERABLE. So you trying to match it to the foolish rhyming noises and chanting have nothing to do with sign gifts....at all.

On judgement day all liars perish;

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

To boast of false gifts is a lie.To claim out of body experiences is a lie,prophecy,visions etc....there have always been such claims:
    16 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord.

foolishness is foolishness regardless if you believe you are practicing it.

Annanis and Sappharia found out what the Spirit thought about falsehood.

This mistaken idea does not change scripture.By the way...every phoney on TBN uses the "God in the box" excuse as to why we who reject this error and attack on scripture are they say somehow confining God.

This is the flesh not the Spirit.

This is a fantasy world where you construct in your mind what you think is going on...with a wrong Idea on rom8

you have no basis for it...so you need to question it.

Dude....you even call it a "questionable gift":laugh:

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

RD2 ...

Brother, will due respect, you knew when you started this poll thread that most would not accept your view. You knew that from having it rejected in the past.

Therefore, my question to you is simple: Why did you bring it back to the board yet again, only to be angered when the same thing happened as before?

Chuck Swindoll said once, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting a different result."

No offense, I do not believe you are "insane." But surely you couldn't have expected more than you have received in the past, and now you have spoken angry words to a fellow member, and brother. You might want to consider that, as it is said lovingly and gently.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That has NOTHING to do with tongues. Tongues is not a million miles from that context.

The idea in context there is that we are so weak we don't even know how to pray, but fret not, when we don't have the words or we don't have the right words- the Spirit of God prays for us.

To read tongues into that is a tremendous eisegetical error. Tremendous.

Well, Bud, if I'm right- and I am because I have Bible for it- the ones on judgment day who are going to have a bad time on this issue are the ones who misrepresent the Spirit of God by saying that he says things that he has never said, that he does things that he never has done. These people have cheapened the work of the Holy Spirit. They have reduced it to some carnal, emotional ecstasy. The work of the Spirit is far nobler and grander than the madness that goes on in these churches.

Yea, but brother here is how this conversation is going. I am giving you Bible facts which you are ignoring. You are exalting this emotional stuff without supporting it biblically (except when you prooftext with a text out of context).

It does not matter what you believe- it matters what IS. There are Muslims and Buddhists who speak in gibberish too. Many of them think it is prayer language. Ecstatic languages existed a long time before Pentecost in the demonic mystery religions.

They believe in it too. They "feel" something too. Jamie Coots FELT that God wanted him to take up serpents. Who cares what you or me or ANYBODY "feels." Better do away with such nonsense and go by what God SAYS.

That's what matters. And if you can't argue out of what God says any better than you have thus far, you ought to stop this stuff POST HASTE.

Again, it does not matter what you believe. It matters what God SAYS.

"sense, feel, think, believe..." These are your arguments for it. They are not good arguments. Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Satan Worshipers, and all kinds of other religious people "sense, feel, think, believe" all kinds of nonsense.

The LAST thing... I mean the DEAD LEVEL LAST THING IN THIS UNIVERSE you ought to follow is your feelings.

Jeremiah said, "The heart is desperately wicked DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS..."

Your heart is more deceitful than SATAN.

The LAST thing you ought to put ANY confidence in is your heart. Listen to SATAN before you listen to your feelings. You'd LITERALLY be better off according to the Bible. The heart is "deceitful above ALL THINGS."

"believe"

You could not be more dead wrong. The Bible says the dead level opposite. The Bible... that matters to you, right? The Word of God. It means infinitely more than what you "feel", right?

The BIBLE says, "TRY the spirits whether they BE of God."

The reason you believe this stuff is the same reason all charismatics believe it. You put more confidence in your carnal, deceitful, human feelings and experiences than you do the Word of God.

And calling it the work of the Spirit when the Holy Spirit may oppose it vehemently is something I'd caution you about. That is something you will likely regret.

18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Privately...

.... not that it matters, but privately. Once in a while, if the congregation is moving in the spirit, and I mean in prayer or singing or both, I may cross over. However, I am extremely cognizant of how some may feel about tongues, and in order to avoid being that proverbial stumbling block, I avoid tongues, or prayer language out of love and order.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No Bible for such a notion. None. "moving in the spirit" is Charismatic gobbly gook. It is new, pentecostal jargon that, like sewage sloshing out of a tanker, has spilled out onto Baptist life.

RD2, would just CONSIDER... just CONSIDER that you have no bible for this stuff?

Will you not even CONSIDER that this is something totally unbiblical?

It is something that did not exist before 150 years ago. Exceptions are a few cults that popped up for a brief span here and there throughout two thousand years of church history. Other than that- NOBODY- NOBODY practiced this stuff.

Will you not even CONSIDER that??? Does that mean NOTHING... NOTHING to you??

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please show me?

If I, like you say, spoke in anger to a brother, I humbly apologize. However, if you took time to look at how others have addressed one another in other debates, I doubt if what I said could hardly be construed as anger?

I have felt that, while there has been so strong redirect, there is nothing like the name calling or down right anger being shown by many others on this board to one another. If I appeared terse, I am sorry, but I was simply feeling some emotion regarding this topic, especially when it came t be compared to speaking in the tongue of devils.

I have tried to present my case, in love but also in strength, just as others have presented theirs, and there has been no real signs of ugliness demonstrated [like in other OP's], just pointed comments to make a point.

So, if you feel I demonstrated un Christ like behaviors, please cut and paste those supposed angry comments and the thread numbers so I can take a look and see if it was anger or just making a stand to enhance my side of the issue! I have tried my best to avoid ugliness, and if at any time I slipped, I apologize to you and anyone I offended...

As for bringing the issue up once again, I did so this time, in a poll, and I actually got what I wanted out of the poll, finding three others who speak in tongues. This goes a long way in supporting that the use of this gift is once again being tossed around and considered by Baptists! As I said, a mega-SBC that I follow on line is now teaching that tongues is a gift and does not frown on their members using it. That is encouraging, at least to me, and probably to others who are curious, but afraid to come out and say what they secretly hold to, and that is speaking in a prayer language and singing in the spirit!

BTW - I want to recognize my good brother, ICON, and thank him for jumping in the debate. Like me, I know where he is coming from.

And as for Luke, I hold no bad feelings. I was just pointing out that there is a strong possibility that those who call tongues foolishness and gibberish, may live to regret it! I also know that lUke holds to the importance of seminary teaching, but, in doing so, he seems to LOOK DOWN his nose at those who do not have a seminary education! This is really something that Luke will have to deal with, as I think it is a sin to hold oneself up as being better than another, I believe the word calls it flaunting or being puffed up! Seminary has its merits, but, it doen's t always make for a better preacher or teacher, and that is something some seminary grads don't seem to understand! But, that is between them and God, yet they need to know that their hauty spirit is demeaning to others, and un Christ like in my way of looking at things!

However, like I say, regarding ALL the other ridiculous topics of discussion eing brought to the floor of this forum for debate, nothing will be settled in this LIFETIME! The topics mean something to the person who started them or they never would have put them up. It's just that all the arguments, bac and forth, settle nothing at all, because I think, IMHO, that God looks down and chuckles to himself about the arrogance us humans tend to behold! we will all be in for some surprises, besides, nothing I believe in, other than that Jesus has saved me and He is why I am going to heaven ... matters that much in the greater scheme of spirituality, religion, doctrine and theology!

We all have opinions, and we all claim to hold strong reasons for holding to a certain school of thought about anyone issue! Some even go so far as to claim that they hold the true answer to the subject of debate, because they have a better understanding of the Word of God than those who don't have a verse to stand on [so to speak].

I hold no bad feelings toward any of my brothers or sisters, for what they think they believe. In fact, I do not wish to change minds or thoughts by posting these topics, entertaining a discussion on a certain OP? It's just that I needed to post this topic because I had heard, like I said in the opening statement, that some SBC's are no longer holding back on the use of tongues, and I simply wanted to know if any others out, there were of same mind.

I do believe my poll speaks for itself; 11.11% of the respondents do speak in tongues, and a tenth is a tenth. IN fact, in the greater scheme of things, 11% is similar to a tithe, and a tithe is an important number in all our churches. Right? In fact, while a tithe or tenth is a simple beginning point, I think it is a base, or foundation for the start of something better to come!

In fact, I believe that the spirit of Pentecost will one-day sweep over the Baptist church. Like my theology, professor once said, theology is like a pendelum; it swings both ways, and where it is today, does not mean that it will be there a hundred years henceforth!

There was a day when some Baptists spoke in tongues, and there is a coming a day, again, when they likely speak in tongues, again! So, should the Lord tarry, many of you younger die-hard may be in for a gentle moving of the spirit, and like a wind that goes where it wants, it will not be able to be redirected by theology or doctrine. The wind blows where it wants and at the strength it so desires. BESIDES, folks, there are a far lot worse things that could befall the Baptist church as a whole, then the use of the gift of tongues!

Shalom and peace to all of you who disagree! I still love you, and I pray you still love me! Because the fact remains, one day be neighbors in heaven's untied community, tongues or not; we will all worship and praise the Father for eternity. Now that is not open for debate. Shalom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.