1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking in Tongues: The Need for Caution

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Deadworm, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree or disagree?

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the biggest giveaways to the fraudulent nature of today's tongues, is that the first century tongue speaker knew what they were saying. None of today's tongue speakers have a clue.

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actual they were speaking in a real language that was not known/learned by them!

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with your statement.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a misconception. They spoke in a heavenly tongue to God and those with the gift of interpretation heard it in their native tongue.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not think God still does any healings today then?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is NO such thing as a Heavenly language tongue, such as used in personal prayers, rather it was a real langauge spoke forth to allow others to hear in their own tongue!

8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Paul: “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” (1 Corinthians 14:2) (KJV 1900)

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is rich. A pompous, arrogant statement that seeks to dismiss dissent because the person hasn't experienced it. What else must we not comment on unless we had the experience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That particular gift not given for today though!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What i disagree with is this:

NONE today have the gift to heal/do miracles as the Apostles didi!

13. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

• [Acts 20:7-12 NASB] 7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul [began] talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight. 8 There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together. 9 And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead. 10 But Paul went down and fell upon him, and after embracing him, he said, "Do not be troubled, for his life is in him." 11 When he had gone [back] up and had broken the bread and eaten, he talked with them a long while until daybreak, and then left. 12 They took away the boy alive, and were greatly comforted.

I guess that means that if no one can produce a death certificate for Eutychus, then the event in Acts 20 didn't happen either. :Thumbsdown

[FYI: You can go research what paperwork Hernando County Fire-Rescue filed on the incident yourself it you want. I have no idea. I just met the man before he passed on (about 5 years later and quietly in his sleep) and know the Doctor, two nurses and dozens of people who were there.]

14. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since there is already a topic to discuss "cessationism" and this is not it! Let me respond to your post with an observation that is on the topic of "Charismata: What to watch out for".

"If any miracles happen" ... you are starting off on a wobbly foot. God is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever. "For I, the LORD, do not change" [Malachi 3:6]. There is no "IF". Some offer the advice along the lines of "fake it until you make it", but that is not how God DID things in the OT, that is not how Jesus DID things when he walked the earth, that is not how the Apostolic Letters instruct the Church to DO things ... there is no "new dispensation" in which God ceases to be God and calls us to celebrate the impotency of the Holy Spirit by living without the perceptible hand of a very real God still at work in His creation. Beware "fake it" and beware "God doesn't do miracles any more" ... or go and worship with Joel Osteen or Secular Humanists (you will find their 'god' more to your liking).

"We have the prayer of faith that heals." ... When has it ever been otherwise? If any Charismatic or Pentecostal or anyone of any 'cult' attempts to teach you about some inner power coming from you ... RUN AWAY! Elder Norbert would say that we think that we are "all that and a bag of chips", but he would go on to tell us that what we really needed to get deep down in our soul is "Do you know WHO you are?" You are not your gifts, or your job or even who you think you are. You are who GOD says you are. WE are Children of the King, with a right to approach the throne.

No Apostle ever healed without prayer and faith. All "charismata" are of God and not grown out of how special we are. Beware any teaching or group where the Glory is not going to man. If you would really have the POWER that was promised (Acts 1:8) then you should focus on doing the work that Jesus commanded (Matthew 28:18-20).

"And we cast out demons in Jesus' name at times." ... Again, when has it ever been otherwise? No Apostle ever claimed to cast out demons by any power other than "Jesus name" at any time. The only ones to make a claim contrary to that were the Pharisees who accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Satan. Let no one think or claim that any manifestation of any spiritual gift has as its source of power anything but God!

A secondary warning I would offer to my fellow continuationists (especially Charismatics and Pentecostals) is to use the word demonic with care. That there are evil spirits I have no doubt, but when we start ascribing an evil spirit of high blood pressure when a little more exercise and a lot fewer calories would go a long way ... well it cheapens the genuine by lumping it with the absurd.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my final conclusion that in the sovereignty of the Holy Spirit, these things are always possible. I am saying no more.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know anyone who publical is known to have them then?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything recorded dowen to us in scripture happened, but the so called healings and miracles claimed today? Not so much!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, but not the normal ways He operates!

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe what the Scriptures teach.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then youy should believe that sign gift died with John, as it was ceasing even during the life of paul Himself, as he could not heal Timothy, but could advise him to take some wine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.