1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking of Elijah....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by ktn4eg, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Last Sun PM (Sept. 30, 2012) I was privileged to attend Immanuel BCs (Belle Meade, TN [a "suburb" of Nashville-- towards the SW]) choir and pianist & organist's performance of a "Reader's Digest" version Felix Mendelson's oratorio Elijah, Op. 70.

This particular performance included the almost word-for-word Biblical account of:
    1) God's telling Elijah about the forth-coming drought,
    2) Elijah's staying w/, subsequent healing of the widow of Zarepeth's only son,
    3) Elijah's confrontation on Mt. Carmel w/ the prophets of Baal, and
    4) God's triumph over the prophets of Baal & the subsequent, but slowly-ending of the 3-yr-long drought.

This was the 1st time I'd ever set foot in a more "upscale" BC building in many a year. (EX: How many BC buildings do you know of that have an actual "pipe" organ [2-3 keyboards] along with actual pipes w/in the "choir loft"?)

I must say that for a BC of their size, they might just put "The (late) Robert Shaw Chorale & Orchestra" to shame!!

I love this type of musical performance, esp., when it's in English and performed by "classically-trained" soloists and choir (i.e., singers that use their lungs to produce the songs that they sing [and w/out microphones!] which can be heard clearly and distinctly throughout the entire sanctuary (& IBC has a rather large & long one!).

Thanks, IBC, for doing what you do in the way of musical excellence to the praise, honor, and glory to the God of Elijah (&, by His grace, my God too!)!!!!!! :thumbsup: