1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spurgeon: A man given to excess?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Jabbezz, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Jabbezz

Jabbezz New Member

Consider that Spurgeon:

1. Used tobacco.
    2. Was overweight.

Was he a man given to excess, or simply the product of his era?

[ September 27, 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Jabbezz ]

2. weeping prophet

weeping prophet New Member

There is something distasteful talking about the sins of past Saints.Whether he was given to excess in these areas or no I have'nt a clue. I do know that he was given to excess in preaching the gosple.He has more sermons published even today than most if not all of his brethern. He was given to excess in his love for Gods people, for how could anyone remain in the pulpit that long week after week and have a sermon that sounded like it came manna from heaven.He was given to excess in his love for children, he bulit an orphanage.He was given in excess in his love for the ministry, he founded a pastors college.Why is it that we Christians always wish to dwell on the negatives and not the positives, Jesus did not do this did HE?

3. Bugman

Bugman New Member

As I understand it his overweigth was partly a medical problem.

http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/cigars.htm
    Is some information on his cigar smoking. Aparently he also liked a glass of Brandy every so often.

Is this a big deal? No, we are not perfect. If this is the only stuff that can be dug up on him he has lived a much closer life to Christ then all of us I should think.

Bryan

4. Jabbezz

Jabbezz New Member

You know, the funny thing about this article is that the author tries to state the smoking cigars is not as bad as smoking cigarettes. Now this is really comical.

Perhaps smoking marijuana is not as bad as cigarettes either. [​IMG]

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Spurgeon was a great man inasmuch as God used him as a powerful powerful tool here on earth. I have been reading his sermons and they are apsolutly incredible. He IS a sinner though, he is NOT Jesus. Jesus saved Him, and he is just as deserving as hell as all the rest of us.

Was he giving to excess? Perhaps . . .
    But I love that man as any Christian leader today and will support him inasmuch as he glorified God with his live and ministry.

6. Jabbezz

Jabbezz New Member

I agree, there is something distasteful about the sins of past saints. But especially when contemporary saints try to justify bad behavior or practices, by stating that the past saints did it. For example, when today's believer tries to justify smoking by stating that Spurgeon smoked. I don't believe Jesus would have smoked, and he is the model. [​IMG]

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing that moves me about Spurgeon is his preaching... He said by his life... Look at Jesus not at me!... That's the way I see him!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when is smoking a sin? A bad habit - yep. But a sin - nope.

Since when is drinking an alcoholic beverage a sin? It isn't. It cannot even be classified as a bad habit. Drunkenness is a sin, not just a bad habit, by the way.

Since when is being overweight a sin? Bad for one's health - yep. But a sin - nope.

I wonder how many members of this Board are overweight. I am. I could drop about 10 pounds. I could also exercise more, get more sleep, eat healthier, be more loving to my wife, spend more time in prayer, spend more time studying the Bible, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe one of these days Christians will learn not to shoot their wounded. And we are all wounded to one degree or another.

Ken
    A Spurgeonite [​IMG]

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Zebedee

Zebedee New Member

He certainly loved Jesus and he blesses me everytime I read something he wrote. I wish more baptists would read his works.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] "AMEN"... Brother Ken and Zebedee!... Thank you for the link Ken!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

12. Pastor Shumer

Pastor Shumer New Member

Reading your post brought to mind 1 Cor. 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Please do not think I'm of necessity taking exception with what you're saying, however, I do believe if we do something which harms our body, we are defiling God's temple. From personal experience, I believe smoking and drinking (even not to excess) does do that.

Or, how about "temperance" being a fruit of the Spirit. If we are indulging in some of these things, perhaps we are sinning from that perspective? Well, I guess I lean towards that.

I am sure some will take exception to what I'm saying, and not agree. That's fine. Just adding my 2 cents. And from the # of posts I've made, I'm sure that's about all some will think my comment is. And, no, I'm not perfect.

Strikes me perhaps we do or can even defile the temple of God by spending too much time mulling over the comments of others, and "tit for tatting" as one put it in another post.

Agree, disagree. No problem. I probably won't see it. (And I mean no disrespect, I just don't log on much.)

[ September 27, 2002, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Shumer ]

13. Naomi

Naomi New Member

I agree with you Brother Glen. I heard a story a while back that reminds me of this discussion.
    If we were to look at sheep in a pasture on a sunny day, we would comment upon how (white) they
    were. Yet, if it began to snow, and we looked at them, we would notice that they were not as white as we once thought. Against the fresh white snow, they would appear darker.
    This is an analogy about how we compare ourselves to other's. Our standard should be Jesus and His righteousness. Not others. How many times do we do this?
    I know I am guilty of doing this :( !!
    God is still working on me! [​IMG]
    God Bless!
    Naomi

14. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

To be fair to Mr Spurgeon, the health risks of tobbacco were not so widely recognised as they are now. I'm sure he had his faults but we all have our "feet of clay". However, the Lord uses all believers who give themselves over to Him. If he rejected us because of our faults then none of us would get to heaven.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? It happens to be true.

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, maybe he's not a Christian after all ?

17. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Bro. Ken puts it quite well when he states the following:

A thing to ponder:

"Pure" tobacco vs. chemically treated tobacco. Huge difference. Just ask the Marlboro Man.

Other than these comments, let us consider the Scriptures, which state:

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink....Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 'Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!'? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom..."
    - St. Paul, Colossians 2

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, cigars and cigarettes are equally hurtful to one's health plus being addictive.

The nicotine from a cigar enters the body via the mucous membrane in the mouth and doesn't need to be inhaled for the effect. Cigars are claimed to cause cancer in the mouth and tongue.

But then again caffeine is also mildly addictive (some say moderately addictive).

HankD

19. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Cigarettes addictive? Yes.
    Cigarettes and smoke inhalation? Yes.

Cigars addictive? No.
    Cigars and smoke inhalation? No.

Cigars giving nicotine to the body? Yes.

Smoking sinful? No. (See Colossians ref. above)

Rev. G

20. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I think caffine mixed with some sweat suger taste (ie Pepsi) is extremely addictive!