1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spurgeon on Limited (Efficacious) Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jan 18, 2010.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the off-chance that this has not been mentioned: 2 Peter 3:9 needs to be read in context. The ones Peter is speaking of are the elect. See the first verse of chapter 3. If he would have said "them" in v.9 then it might reasonably have tied into the scoffers of v. 3-7, but he goes back to "us" (or "you" - according to marginal readings), referring to the Christian readers being addressed.

2. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Maybe you fit in to my signature?

#42 David Michael Harris, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  3. David Michael Harris

Tom, we see things now, God see's them when it's all over. God is Righteous.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OR, I HAVE responded on several occasions to Winmans' and others' intentional misrepresentations of our beliefs. But I must agree with Tom, there comes a point where it becomes an exercise in futility to pursue it further. If Winman and others like him can hold a clear conscience while walking in craftiness, and handling the word of God deceitfully in order to deliberately malign the precious truths of God's sovereign grace and those that adhere to those truths, so be it. It won't be the first time that Baptists have been wrongly stigmatized. Besides, I believe they're insecure and alarmed at the resurgence of 'Calvinism'; and the more they harp on it the more God's Sovereign Grace becomes publicized.

5. David Michael Harris

And maybe man's response to God's grace. Grace alone for sure. Salvation. Blood of Christ and God's provision. Is this not the big question?

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Old Regular posted this from Spurgeon:
    I have to disagree with Spurgeon here. To argue that God did not address sin is absurd. Jesus clearly taught that a man must be conscious of his state of sin. It is only when we realize we are lost in sin that a person will turn to Christ for salvation. This is shown over and over again in scripture.

Luke 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
    2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

These persons thought they were righteous because God had been good to them. They thought that men to whom bad things happened was evidence that they were great sinners. Jesus told them they must repent or turn from this false belief and acknowledge that they too were sinners.

It is the Holy Spirit and word of God that convicts a man, so it is hardly a work. The conviction comes from God, not within a man himself.
    But a man must submit to God and acknowledge his sin.

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Look at the prodigal son, was he convicted of his sin?

Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
    18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
    19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
    21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
    22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
    23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
    24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

The Lord Jesus himself gave us this parable as an example. The prodigal son came to himself and realized he was a sinner. He came to his father and confessed his sin. The young man was not condemned for this, his father received him gladly and said he was dead, but now he is alive.

So, you are trying to teach that being convicted of sin and coming to Jesus under conviction is wrong, when the Lord himself showed this is right.

#46 Winman, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are correct Tom as Winman demonstrates in his latest post. But I suppose hope springs eternal in the human heart.

8. David Michael Harris

Core stuff being Calvinism and it's interpretation on Holy Scripture.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

What is wrong with my last post? Is it wrong to acknowledge our sin and come to Jesus?

Please answer that question.

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It is not wrong to acknowledge our sin and come to Jesus. It is wrong for you to keep accusing people of believing or not believing certain things because you are trying to build strawmen from your faulty understanding just to knock them down.

11. OldRegular

You have it backwards. We see things now, God see's them before it happens.

You got one thing correct: God is Righteous.

12. OldRegular

As Spurgeon noted it is wrong to make Salvation the work of Winman rather than the work of GOD!

13. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At best this is unclear. I can't believe you mean it the way it sounds. God does not foresee?

Also, I am not sure how this connects with what I had written.