1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spurgeon vs Hyper-Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Nov 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the name of a book by Iain Murray (Banner of Truth, 1995). It is subtitled The Battle for Gospel Preaching.

Murray, writing in 1995, tells us that H-C was not a major threat to the churches, but that with the revival of the Doctrines of Grace, it was to be expected that there would be a revival of H-C as well. Judging by some of the threads on this Board, that was a very prescient observation.

Spurgeon began his ministry in London in 1854. His flamboyant preaching style quickly caused him to become well-known, his sermons being taken down and published weekly. He espoused the Calvinism of the 17th Century Puritans, and Baptists like Kiffin, Keach and Bunyan who called upon all to come to Christ in repentance and faith (see Bunyan's Come and Welcome to the Lord Jesus Christ). Indeed, Spurgeon agreed with Andrew Fuller who wrote in 1787 that, "No writer of eminence can be named before the present (18th) Century who denied it to be the duty of men in general to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for the salvation of their souls. However, at the start of the 18th century, a book was published by a man called Joseph Hussey called, God's Operations of Grace but no offers of His Grace. As a result of this book, many Baptists and Congregationalists made sure that they never called upon any sinner to believe savingly since, according to Hussey, Christ had never done so.
    Murray quotes the articles of the Synod of Dort which declare, 'As many as are called by the Gospel are unfeignedly called; for God hath most earnestly and truly declared in His word what will be acceptable to Him, namely that all who are called should comply with the invitation. He moreover seriously promises eternal life and rest to as many as shall come to Christ and believe on Him. It is not the fault of the Gospel, nor of Christ offered therein, nor of God, who calls men by the Gospel, and confers on them various gifts, that those who are called by the ministry of the word refuse to come and be converted. The fault lies in themselves.' [quoted by P. Schaff, The Creeds of Christendom]

Spurgeon had not been at his church in New Park Street, London for more than a year before he was attacked by a fellow minister, James Wells in the pages of a publication called the Earthen Vessel. Wells believed that the idea that all men should be called to faith in Christ was 'Fullerism' and 'mongrel Calvinism.' This attack provoked a lively debate within the pages of the Earthen Vessel but Spurgeon did not involve himself in it, preferring to let his preaching answer for him.

Spurgeon believed that a universal proclamation of good news along with a warrant for every creature was at the heart of Scripture. To the 'rulers of Sodom,' for example, God says, 'Come, let us reason together.....though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow' (Isaiah 1:18). "These were men, " says Spurgeon, "Whose very religion was hateful to God," yet it is such that God invites to receive mercy, just as the crucifiers of Christ were to be invited at the day of Pentecost.
    Spurgeon continued, '"Repent and be baptized every one of you," says Peter. As John Bunyan puts it, one man might have stood up in the crowd and said, "But I helped to hound Him to the cross!" "Repent and be baptized every one of you!" But I drove the nails into His hands!" Says another. "Every one of you!" "But I pierced His side!" "Every one of you!"..........I do feel so grieved at many of our Calvinistic brethren; they know nothing about Calvinism, I am sorry to say, for never was a man more caricatured by his professed followers than Calvin. Many of them are afraid to preach from Peter's text..... When I do it they say, "He is unsound." But I do not care for that; I know that the Lord has blessed my appeals to all sorts of sinners and nothing will stop me giving free invitations as long as I find them in this book.' [MTP, vol. 7, pp. 148-9]

Another argument that Spurgeon addressed in his sermons was the 'warrant of Faith.' He addressed this in a sermon on 1 John 3:23.
    'In our own day certain preachers assure us that a man must be regenerated before we may bid him believe in Jesus Christ; some degree of a work of grace in the heart being, in their judgement, the only warrant to believe. This also is false. It takes away a Gospel for sinners and offers us a Gospel for saints..... Brethren, the command to believe in Christ must be the sinner's warrant if you consider the nature of our commission. How runs it? "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature." It ought to read, according to the other plan, "Preach the Gospel to every regenerate person, to every convinced sinner......." But it is not so; it is to "every creature."
    'I believe the tendency of that preaching which puts the warrant for faith anywhere but in the Gospel command, is to vex the true penitent and to console the hypocrite; the tendency of it is to make the poor soul which really repents feel that he must not believe in Christ because he sees so much of his own hardness of heart. The more spiritual a man is, the more unspiritual he sees himself to be.' [MTP, vol.9, p.537]
    'If we begin to preach to sinners that they must have a certain sense of sin and a certain measure of conviction, such teaching would turn the sinner away from God in Christ to himself. The man begins at once to say, "Have I a broken heart? Do I feel the burden of sin? This is only another form of looking at self. Man must not look to himself to find reasons for God's grace.' [MTP, vol. 33, pp. 114-6]

If the Mods believe that this thread belongs in the Books section, I have no objection if they move it.

#1 Martin Marprelate, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two other points about Spurgeon's Bible-based opposition to Hyper-Calvinism.
    The first was his belief in the absolute freedom and universality of the Gospel invitation: 'Sinners, let me address you with the words of life. Jesus wants nothing from you, nothing whatsoever; nothing done, nothing felt; he gives both work and feeling. Ragged, penniless, just as you are; lost, forsaken, desolate, with no good feelings and no good hopes, still Jesus comes to you, and in these words of pity he addresses you: "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.'[MTP. vol. 30, pp. 54-5]

The second was his belief in human responsibility. Since the Fall, men have not lost their responsibility. but they have lost the ability, the will, to obey God. Spurgeon once declared, "I dread more than anything your being left to your own free will."
    In an early sermon on 'Sovereign Grace and Man's Responsibility' he said, 'The system of truth is not one straight line, but two. No man will ever get a right view of the Gospel until he knows how to look at the two straight lines at once.....Now if I were to declare that man was so free to act that there is no presidence of God over his actions, I should be driven very close to atheism; and if, on the other hand, I declare that God so overrules all things, as that man is not free to be responsible, I am driven at once to Antinomianism or fatalism. That God predestines and that man is responsible, are two things that few can see. They are believed to be inconsistent and self-contradictory; but they are not. It is the fault of our weak judgment.....it is my folly that leads me to suppose that two truths can ever contradict each other.' [NPSP, vol.4, p.343]

All the quotations and much of the comment come from Murray's book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Modren "Reformed/Calvinists" reject "repentance" as a "work", even though the greater majority of the older theologians from these camps, clearly taught this requirement FOR salvation!

• Like Like x 1
  4. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hyper-Calvinists sarcastically called one's faith --"Duty Faith." They regarded it as a 'work' of man.

It's a shame. Despite the various errors of Hyper-Calvinism, and they are significant --there have been some worthy gentlemen (and women) among their tribe. I like many books and articles by Ben Ramsbottom of the present and J.C. Philpot, William Gadsby and J.K. Popham of the past --to mention a few.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is indeed a requirement for salvation, but it is not a work; it is a gift of God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you saying that "repentance" for the forgiveness of sins, is a Gift from God? If this is the case, then why would Jesus tell people, like He did in Luke 13:1-5, "unless you repent, you will likewise perish"? This clearly makes repenting something that the sinner themselves must do. If it was God not giving this "Gift", then Jesus' Words are pointless!

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, this demands the application of 'audience relevance', soooo important. If one doesn't repent are Roman soldiers going to come out of the woodwork and put them to the sword? Does this apply to us today?:

23 And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people. Acts 3

No folks, it applied to 'that generation' that rejected and murdered Christ. Period.

#7 kyredneck, Nov 15, 2021
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you mean that what Jesus told these people, only applied to them, and not all sinners? With this reasoning it can be argued that Jesus only told Nicodemus, that he was ONLY to be "born-again" to get to heaven!

Your reasoning is purely theological and has nothing to do with the actual teachings of the Bible!

Jesus at the start of His Ministry, Mark 1:15, and at the end, Luke 24:47, is clear that REPENTING is FOR the forgiveness of sins, and not AFTER. Peter in Acts chapter 2, verses 37-38, made this same point when asked by those who were "cut to the heart", "what must we DO", "REPENT" says Peter! This takes place under the New Covenant.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. "These people" were the Jews of 'that generation' of which the righteous blood of all those slain in the land was to come upon. Matthew 23:35-36

You're distorting (intentionally?) what was said:

3 Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;`

Not just Nicodemus, but anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes indeed;
    Acts11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying,
    Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

11. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    SavedByGrace. Modern Reformed Calvinists do not reject repentance as a work. And the sinner must actually repent. But Calvinists still say that repentance and faith are graces that are granted to us. They tend like Spurgeon to say salvation is all of God. And they would say that you need to repent if you don't want to perish. This thread is about differences between hyper Calvinism and Calvinism of a more moderate sort. You otta start a thread about covenant theology versus dispensationalism with kyredneck if you're not interested in Spurgeon versus hyperCalvinism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone at that time only to use your reasoning :Biggrin

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply put this means that God opened up the way for non Jews to be saved, as initially Jesus came to His own which were the Jews. No need to spin this with reformed theology :eek:

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    everyone without exception?

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
    2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
    4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Lu 13

Pilate did not himself 'mingle their blood with their sacrifices', his soldiers did. It was the Roman soldiers garrisoned in the Tower of Siloam that 'fell upon' 'those eighteen' (Josephus records it).

You're grossly misapplying this. 'Perishing' does not mean 'burning in hell for ever and ever' here. It's the wrath that was to come upon 'that generation' that murdered Christ.

#15 kyredneck, Nov 15, 2021
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You correct Van, but now you step in it,
    The gentiles were graced with repentance, you try and avoid the clear statement granted repentance unto life;
    preceptaustin;
    GOD'S GRACIOUS GIFT
    OF REPENTANCE

Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also - Note that the critics did not just say God had granted salvation to Cornelius and his household to the Gentiles. By saying Gentiles they acknowledged that God had flung wide open the door of salvation to even non-Jews.

The repentance that leads to life - Repentance is not a pre-condition as if a man must first by his will determine to repent before he can believe. This passage makes it clear that repentance is not self energized but Spirit energized (God has granted).

Men cannot repent relying on their own natural state, for our natural state is adamantly, inveterately opposed to God. In Acts 3:26 Luke record that "God raised up His Servant and sent Him to bless you by turning every one of you from your wicked ways” which is an excellent description of repentance. In Acts 5:31)

He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." It was God's gift to Israel even as it is God's gift to the Gentiles. In Romans 2:4 Paul asks (rhetorically) "do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?" In Paul's last letter he instructs Timothy to teach "with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,." (2 Ti 2:25) In short, repentance is a gift from God's gracious hand.

C H Spurgeon in a sermon entitled The Plumbline (Amos 7:7, 8) wrote that…

Side by side with that faith, God puts true repentance. When a man attempts to convert his fellow-man, he gives him a sham repentance, or perhaps he tells him that there is no need of any repentance at all. Certain preachers have been telling us, lately, that it is a very easy matter to obtain salvation, and that there is no need of repentance; or if repentance is needed, it is merely a change of mind. That is not the doctrine that our fathers used to preach, nor the doctrine that we have believed. That faith, which is not accompanied by repentance, will have to be repented of; so, whenever God builds, he builds repentance fair and square with faith. These two things go together; the man just as much regrets and grieves over the past as he sees that past obliterated by the precious blood of Jesus. He just as much hates all his sin as he believes that his sin has been all put away. (Amos 7:7-8 The Plumbline)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He tells them because unless they repent they will all perish and that is as true today as it was when He said it.
    But men will not repent of themselves because they have wicked, unbelieving hearts. Therefore repentance, like faith, like salvation itself, is a gift of God (Acts 5:31; 11:18; Romans 2:4; 2 Timothy 2:25).

#17 Martin Marprelate, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I ask that people confine themselves to the topic, please? There is no shortage of threads on Calvinism in general on the forum devoted to it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    we do not reject it, both both godly repentance and saving faith are bestowed as gifts to the beloved by the Holy Spirit!

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not able to be produced by spiritually dead sinners though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.