1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Standing for Scripture reading

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the practice of some churches to have the congregation stand when the pastor reads the scripture text.

Some say we stand to honor God Word.
    If this is true - then should we not stand every time we read out of the Bible?

If you visit a church, and they do not stand for the Reading of Gods' word - do you somehow
    feel they are being disrespectful?

Or is standing simply a Baptist tradition! (or dont you believe that Baptist have traditions)

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This practice was not part of my upbringing, and we don't practice it in our church. It is the practice of some preachers/churches we fellowship with, and we respect it among them.

If people have been taught to stand at the reading of God's word, then they may tend to think those who don't stand are somehow being disrespectful. On the other hand, there are some people who are respectful to stand for the reading of God's word who aren't that respectful in the practice of it! In Nehemiah 8:5 there is a reference to the people standing when Ezra opened the book to read to them (cf. Nehemiah 9:3). In Luke 4:16 it mentions Jesus standing in the synagogue to read from Isaiah. Afterward he sat down and began to teach them (and every word he taught them while sitting was the word of God!). I think these two and maybe other references are what some base their practice on. The eunuch sitting in his chariot reading Isaiah was not being disrespectful (Acts 8:28).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty. If a church wants to do that, there is no issue with me.

I went to a large Baptist church that had kneeling racks and we knelt for prayer before the REAL act of worship (giving our offerings). Stand, sit, kneel, just so they're not laying down sleeping :) :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I see some "rituals" that are fine but some men make a huge deal out of them. We had an evangelist who would always intro his sermon, maybe tell a story, etc, then "get serious" and pray. He always "knelt down" on the platform.

I asked him if he felt his prayer was somehow "better" or "special" by kneeling since he obviously did not kneel others times when he prayed. He said he did it to humble himself before God and in the eye of those hearing him. That he was a servant.

I've never done that in 47 years of pastoral ministry, but appreciated his candor.

I bring this up because he would also always have the congregation "stand" to honor God's Word. But only when reading at the beginning of the sermon. He would often read other biblical passages in his sermon but never "honored God" by standing then.

Like I said. Liberty.

• Like Like x 1