1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Starting a church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Duzt, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Duzt

Duzt New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi.

I am wondering if this is the right place in the BB Forums to ask this:

How do I start a church as a believer of Christ as a Baptist, with no theology degree whatsoever, and only a KJV Bible in my hand?

All sensible answers will be appreciated. Thank you and blessings of faith to you all!

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The world already has enough KJV-only independent Baptist churches pastored by untrained men. In fact, the US already has enough churches. Starting new ones just weakens the Church.

#2 thatbrian, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has to gift you/Equip you to do such a work. How Long have you been a Christian? How do you know you're called to start an assembly? Do you meet the qualifications in 1 Tim. 3 and Titus 1?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may be best to start a weeknight Bible study in your home -
    and there is nothing wrong with using literature - just dont let it
    replace your Bible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, I prefer the principle of "Being sent out from a church" type start-up. Do you belong to a local assembly?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Duzt

Duzt New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thing is, I am not based in the U.S. I am also consider a 2-year degree to Bible college just to have legitimacy of starting up a church, which will be Biblically-correct for a KJVO, hard-preaching, IFB church, that will tackle lots of social issues and how it relates with the Bible.

7. Duzt

Duzt New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently unmarried, and within my church, searching for the impossible: a Proverbs 31 wife. Pretty much, that qualification I have not met yet, and that will easily fall apart of my wonder if it is possible for a non-Bible college graduate to start a church.

That is a good way to start indeed, only after I am legitimately and Biblically qualified though.

Yes I do, yet I am a member for 2 months now.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If possible, don't be a lone wolf. See if there are other brethren of like mind with a burden for a given geographic area or demographic grouping.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hung alongside the twelve pictures of the current and past senior pastors of 137-year-old Hamilton Square Baptist Church of San Francisco is the picture of the brother honored as the congregation's founder, Gustavus Schroder, a Swedish Merchant Marine captain. He wasn't the church's first pastor. He was the "chairman" of the concerned brethren who gathered in his front parlor to organize a new church.

My point is you may be the catalyst to the founding of a new church, but you may not be that congregation's first pastor. Though, if you follow the Russian Evangelical Christian-Baptist pattern, you may be in the preaching rotation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, how I wish you would have said that your heart yearns to preach the gospel to men, to preach Christ and Him crucified for sinners. . .

Again, the world has enough KJ-only, IFB "hard-preaching" (i.e, legalistic) places where some people spend their Sunday mornings. What the world needs is men who will bring the good news, the gospel of reconciliation, to them.