1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

State held money

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Salty, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most if not all States/Commonwealths have an office to hold unclaimed/dormat accounts.This could include insurance money in which you were the benificiary.

When a person can prove his ID, the money will be released to him.

Often, you can get on the net to see if you have any money. Since this is public information - meaning anyone could access the info.

So here is the question - should a person look up someones elses account? It is legal - but is it ethical or moral?

Thoughts?

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I do it all the time and let them know if they have anything!

Why on earth would it be unethical? A lot of people have no clue it exists and it's fun to be the bearer of good news!

I never imagined anyone would be offended by being told "hey, you have money sitting there just waiting for you!"

Then again, most of my friends could use it, lol. Maybe people who don't need the break would be more likely to feel offended or something? I guess I have met some of those types who pretend to sniff at a few hundred dollars (or just do) and would not want anyone to think they might actually deign to go out of their way to pick up such a meager amount.

I look up people for fun, friends and family. I found one friend who had money and told her. I got into it after I heard it on the news and looked myself up and found out I had money. That was awesome! Wish it would happen again. LOL Everyone wants to READ my blog, nobody wants to hit donate. Harumph! I don't get why on earth it would be immoral or unethical to look up people and tell them they had money. ???? It's a public service. It's good news.