1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stay-at-home Dads Part II

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marco, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Other translations say WORKERS AT HOME, both mean the same thing.

I think I am arguing a point most on this board would agree with.....with guys who are staying home and trying to justify why. Am I right ?

I will leave it at that.

2. Marco

Marco Guest

Proverbs 31 is the well-known passage about the wife and mother of excellence. From the description of her, we learn that this mother did work outside of the home.

The deal is Glory-to-God is not a man and making statements like "But like any man would he feels" is just a stereotype of what she thinks a man should be. Nothing more.

I think taking scripture out of context or being a zealot is not healthy. But I do acknowledge that the Bible does advise us on certain issues.

However, glory-to-god certainly seems to care for the family which is nice.

p.s. Glory-to-God, I don't need to justify anything to you. My church, my family, and my faith are secure with it. It's done. Peace.

3. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Hi Marco yes you are right she went out to the market place. But she unlike most women today took care of her home, kids , and husband FIRST I'm sure. I list those verses if you'd like ?

It is important to note Proverbs 31 isn't talking about a real woman....but an IDEAL one.

More than likely a woman that we can never truley be. But one we can obtain to be.

The Bible says to be perfect as our father in heaven is perfect....we will never be perfect but our GOAL is to be perfect.

We are to be like Christ.....we can't be now but we can try to be. And some day we will.

All of proverbs was for guidlines and goals not exactly reality.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, both don't mean the same thing. The Greek text says "oikourous" (oikos means "home" and "ouros" means to watch over). "Ouros" exists in the NT only in compound words like "kepouros" (which means keeper of the garden or gardener). "Oikourous" simply means "to manage the home" in this context. There is no mandate to remain in the house to do so. What your'e doing is straining at a gnat to swallow a camel.

How a wife manages her home is entirely between her and her hubby, so long as her home is managed by her.

Don't think do. Most men here aren't staying home. One is, and in his example, there appears to be no scriptural violation that anyone can point to. Uncommon, probably. Scriptural violation, no.

5. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

I think you just agreed with me. Most translations and comentaries say Worker.

WORKERS AT HOME: oikourgous: (Ge16:8,9; 18:9; Pr7:11; 31:10-31; 1 Ti5:13) "homemakers" (Amp), "to take care of their homes" (ICB), "diligent in home work" (Darby), "to take care of their homes" (NLT), "to be busy at home" (NIV), "to be good workers at home" (NCV), "working in their houses" (BBE), "good managers of the household" (NRSV), "industrious in their homes" (Weymouth), "fulfilling their duties at home" (NET)

"Workers at home" (oikourgós from oikos = home, household + érgo = to work) one devoted to home duties, preoccupied with domestic affairs, or as we might say today "a homemaker" and stands in contrast with the conduct of the younger Ephesian widows who were "idle" and going "around from house to house" (1Ti5:13). The KJV translates this section "keepers at home" because it uses another Greek noun (Textus Receptus has "oikourous") but most authorities (A T Robertson, Marvin Vincent, etc) and most modern translations (NASB, etc) favor the older manuscript use of oikourgós. Even if one favors the KJV, it should be emphasized that “Keepers at home” does not suggest that the woman's home is a prison where she must be kept! The idea is that she is “Caring for the home” and the wise husband allows his wife to manage the affairs of the household, for this is her ministry. It was estimated that in year 2000, up to 80% of women age 25-54 were involved in the the workplace. More women are entering or staying in the work force after having a baby. These numbers are interesting in light of a survey by Family Circle magazine which revealed that 68% of women surveyed would prefer to stay at home with their children if economically feasible.

6. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

And single women can raise kids without a father that has been proven.....But is it Gods best and the way he created us and ordained it NO !

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What I disagree with is your claim that "God's best way" is for the wife to remain at home. There is no scriptural mandate for this, and it is not even suggested. The only thing mentioned is for wives to manages the home. They need not stay at home to do so.

8. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

John go back to page three I added something to my post....I found interesting

9. Marco

Marco Guest

I like you. You have a lot of passion. The thing is Glory-to-God is that my family, and others like me, made a choice. It's good for the kids. Better than daycare. I'm happy and I love Jesus Christ. It's cool. I'll be back to work again and the world will still turn.

I think some things in the Bible are Black and White, while others are advice. It's human nature for us to view some things differently concerning the Bible, hence all the denominations in Christianity.

You may not respect me for your own reasons, but I would ask you to reflect more on this issue.

I began this thread because I was a new Christian and was unsure about this issue. I quickly learned from a variety of peoples that I had nothing to worry about.

10. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

I agree your choice is much better than day care. I also like the fact that you see it as tempory. God will bless you and provide.

I guess my passion comes from our society trying to change Gods roles for mankind to fit their own feelings or wants. As long as you see your situation as tempory and so does our friend and not a lifestyle. I don't see why you can't do it.....I was just talking about what is Gods BEST.....we all make choices that are not always Gods best and he still blesses us. I respect you...I respect everyone....I may not always agree.

God Bless [​IMG]

11. Marco

Marco Guest

12. Petrel

Petrel New Member

What would you think if he were working as a junior high school teacher?

See, I don't think it is "God's order" that men not be the primary caregiver for their children and that women not work.

Oh, and in response to your implication that we're all just lazy layabouts, I am married and we're both quite busy. :rolleyes:

13. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

I never said that you must be thinking of someone else. :confused:

By the way did you read this ?

WORKERS AT HOME: oikourgous: (Ge16:8,9; 18:9; Pr7:11; 31:10-31; 1 Ti5:13) "homemakers" (Amp), "to take care of their homes" (ICB), "diligent in home work" (Darby), "to take care of their homes" (NLT), "to be busy at home" (NIV), "to be good workers at home" (NCV), "working in their houses" (BBE), "good managers of the household" (NRSV), "industrious in their homes" (Weymouth), "fulfilling their duties at home" (NET)

"Workers at home" (oikourgós from oikos = home, household + érgo = to work) one devoted to home duties, preoccupied with domestic affairs, or as we might say today "a homemaker" and stands in contrast with the conduct of the younger Ephesian widows who were "idle" and going "around from house to house" (1Ti5:13). The KJV translates this section "keepers at home" because it uses another Greek noun (Textus Receptus has "oikourous") but most authorities (A T Robertson, Marvin Vincent, etc) and most modern translations (NASB, etc) favor the older manuscript use of oikourgós. Even if one favors the KJV, it should be emphasized that “Keepers at home” does not suggest that the woman's home is a prison where she must be kept! The idea is that she is “Caring for the home” and the wise husband allows his wife to manage the affairs of the household, for this is her ministry. It was estimated that in year 2000, up to 80% of women age 25-54 were involved in the the workplace. More women are entering or staying in the work force after having a baby. These numbers are interesting in light of a survey by Family Circle magazine which revealed that 68% of women surveyed would prefer to stay at home with their children if economically feasible.

14. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Here's your implication:

By the way, using someone else's text without attributing it is plagiarism. You ought to give us a link to the original source if you quote something, as you did from this page.

And I will agree with Johnv here--how a woman chooses to manage her home is up to her.

So what do you think? Would you think it is unmasculine for a man to be a junior high teacher while his wife is a paralegal?

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hope not. My brother in law used to make big bucks as a technician for SBC/PacBell. He gave it all up after 10 years to pursue his lifelong dream of being a high school teacher. His wife works part time, now that the kids are all gradeschool aged. And they're IFB, I think.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Petrel,

have you ever SEEN Junior High students? [​IMG] Im kidding! A little....

I think being a Junior High school teacher is one of the most noble, masculine jobs a man could ever take on.

Those kids need to see good men as teachers and examples.....and imagine how honored they ought to be that a man gave up a great paying job just to teach them.

I also know Im interjecting in the midst of a discussion....... [​IMG] sorry.

17. Petrel

Petrel New Member

[​IMG] You're right! Junior high kids are vicious creatures! Perhaps I should have said kindergarten teacher, although they can be wild too.

18. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Petrel you sound very angry...... I do not know you so why all the rude remarks towards me ? My opinion is just as valid as yours or anyone elses.

I did nothing wrong please read what the Moderator wrote on this matter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------