1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Steriods in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by DeafPosttrib, Mar 18, 2005.

1. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Yesterday, 5 baseball players faced Senators for Hearing in Washington D.C.

I watched some of them, not all. I otice two players - Mark McGwire and Jose Cansico, both seem not telling truth completely. No doubt, McGwire must have invloved steriod during that time he hitting over 50 to 70 home runs. I remember McGwire back in year 1986, when he was with Oakland A's. His shape body was normal, almost thin. By during in year mid of 90's, his neck became so thick and bigger. Obivously, he must have used steriod.

Also, I saw Barry Bonds of his picture as rookie, when he played for Pittsburgh Pirates in year 1989. He was thin, and not show of muscle. Now, he is 41 years. He have a big chest and his face is bigger. He must have use steriod in his late age 30's.

Mark McGwire, Joe Cansico, Jason Gamabi, and Barry Bonds, all of them were in Bay Area of San Fransisco, I am no doubt that all of tem were invloved steriod, because of under that seller who selling steriods somewhere area in San Fransico.

I remember Jason Gamabi's face and body, when he played for Oakland A's, he was so big and muscle. His neck was so big, and have long hair. When he transfered to NY Yankees, he got smaller. No doubt that Gamabi used steriod while he was in Oakland. Later, about a month ago, Gamabi finally admitted that he used steriods, and ask forgive for using. I glad that he confessed it to Media, and Yankees people too. He was doing the right thing to confess, then he would get healing soon or later.

Barry Bonds..... He is underway trying to break all-time home runs possible this year. Bonds keeping on deny for use steriods. I am no doubt, Media pressure on Bonds so much this year, make him so neverous, and will be more fraustrate with media, even Congress too. No doubt, the world is WATCH on Bonds this year than any MLB players because of chasing home run record, even investigating on Bonds so heavily right now. I would not be surprise, he will be retired this year instead for one more season next year. Because of Media, Congress, investigation make him so stress and neverous.

The big question, will they punish Bonds, if they find out that he use steriods, will ban him for baseball life include his record of home runs career?

I would not be surprise, none of MLB players will hit 50 home runs this season, because of stress or pressure from Media and investigation are watching on them.

Last year, none of them hit 50 home runs, obivously, I am no doubt, that they were seem stress cause by media and investigation.

Also, recently Jose Casinco released his book selling. Several players were UPSET with him. They saying he tells lies about players' past of use steriods.

Detroit Tigers catcher Rodigeruiz was so upset with Cansico about that book. That Rodigeriuz was invloved with Cansco for steriods. He told that he does not hit many home runs in his career , he just swinging so hard fly over the field, that's all.

One thing that impress be was, Reggie Jackson's comment on Hank Aaron. He said, Hank Aaron never hit reach 50 homeruns all in his career.

I remember well back in year around 1987 or 1988, New York Mets Howard Johnson hit 48 home runs in that season, while used tart (oil) on the bat as cheated, THen shortly later, it become legaled. Howard Johsnon never hit 40 home runs afterward in the rest of his career. Obivously, he was doing dirty and cheat work.

I curious, what do you think of from yesterday's Hearing on Baseball steriod? I would like to hear your opinion and comment about this. Thanks.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

2. Dina

Dina New Member

Absoulutely no point to it whatsoever!!!!

Congress has NO business wasting tax payers money on those hearings.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think steroids are a huge issue and need to be dealt with by baseball. However, I think Congress is putting on a huge show, and it will amount to nothing but a lot of money wasted.

4. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Everyone was waiting for new revelations from these hearings. Well, it ain't going to happen! The involved players have lawyers and advisors and you're going to heat just what they tell them to say. What can McGuire say? Steroids are not just a recent trend; players were using them in the 50's and 60's also. Someone is always going to try and get the edge, especially, in this day of "big money".

5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Wally,

I agree with you, several players used steriods back in 50's and 60's.

But, I notice Mar McGwire's body is not normal likr any baseball players in baseball history. He is so bigger than all because of muscle, his neck, chest, and arms looks so big like as bodybuilding, or in muscle contest. Obivously, he invloved steriods. He should be aware that he is wrongful using it, and cheat. Even, steriod is harzardous for health.

Many people saying, Congress should not get invloved with MLB on steriods. I think they are right, it looks ugly, and hurts MLB so much.

But, I think all sports not just baseball, should have new law for use Olypic methods to testing players for using steriod. I like Olympic system. All pro sports should have same this. Because steriod are harzardous to players' health. Steriods are not good idea. Even, many sellers use selling steriods making lot of money by selling steriods to players, that's dirty.

Same with doctors, doctors making lot of money from women by aborting many babies. Doctors know it is wrongful, but they don't care, they want money, because they are so greedy.

Everything are greedy, cheat, messy. MLB looks ugly now because of Congress get invloved MLB. I think, Congress should get invloved with them. But the question, how can any way to be deal with MLB players, if they are having steriods, who shall questioning them, who is the responsiblity doing investigating them? No choice, Congress have to take over MLB. I know it is ugly. Oh well. God take care of them.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What steroids were available in the 50s and 60s? And what players were using them?

7. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

some points:

1. Howard johnson never hit 48 HRs i na season. His career high was 38. pine tar DOES NOT make a ball go further. The rule was changed because the original reason for the rule was no longer valid.

2. Yes, Hank Aaron never hit 50 HRs in season. This is because he played his peak seasons at Milwaukee County Stadium which had a deep left and left center dimensions. Twice Aaron hit 30 HRs in road game in as a Milwaukee Brave. Had aaron played in a nuetral ballpark he would certainly have had several 50 HR seasons...

8. west

west New Member

I know this is about baseball but ! I have been into bodybuilding since 1965 I was 15 I am 55 now and still train hard just about everyday . I have read many books on the sport of bodybuilding power lifting and weightlifting ( also know as Olympic lifting ) and went to many contest over the last 40 years as a spectator and a competitor .

The difference in the bodybuilders before 1967 and after is amazing .I heard a well known bodybuilder that no one has placed in a National or International contest since 1968 that hasn;t been on drugs I agree with him .

The records in lifting in those years is also amazing how they they zoomed up .In the mid 60's the average weight of a Mr.America was 189 at 5'9" the average now is well over 260-280 at the same height and bodyfat % is much lower now .

Drugs has made Bodybuilding a joke .Guys like Arnold have a cloud over him meaning how great was he and how who would he really compare to natural guys like Steve Reeves that won the Mr Universe in 1950 and is considered the best till Arnold came on the scene . I see the same thing with guys like McGwire and Bonds .Are they really better then the natural guys like Aaron .I wish they had Hearing's in bodybuilding just to here them plead the 5 th .

I also disagree when they say .Its the little weak guys that take drugs so they can compete .I have found in the last 35 years its the opposite ! Its the big guys strong guys that want to get bigger and stronger !

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dunno...There's guys like Griffey Jr. who, while strong, certainly doesn't measure up to McGwire or Bonds in size & weight. Then, there were some smaller fellers like Joe Morgan & Jimmy Wynn who hit a few taters, & some really large men...Gil Hodges, Ted Kluszewski, Boog Powell, & Harmon Killebrew, whose power was highly-respected, but are not at the top in career homers.

Then, there was linebacker-size Dave Parker, who insisted he was not a power hitter, while swatting 339 homers over, I believe, a 17-yr career, battling a cocaine habit over much of that time.

A whole bargeload of steroids won't help if the TALENT aint there.

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Speaking of Size- the sports talk radio station I listen to has taken to calling Barry Bonds the Big headed Barry Bonds in reference to the fact that Bonds' head is now physically much larger than it used to be!

Also saw a report this morning that Jim Haslet the coach of the saints admitted to using steroids back in his playing days - and that the Pittsburg Steelers essentially pioneered the use of steriods back in the 70s - no wonder they beat the Cowboys in those superbowls!