1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stetzer's Plan for SBC to Join National Association of Evangelicals Rebuffed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    June 20016 - "SBC to consider joining National Association of Evangelicals"

February 2017 - Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee meeting in Nashville

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave it up to the churches -- seems a wise move, and consistent with past practice.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've got to love how they cast it: "those churches so inclined" may "affiliate with a non-Southern Baptist organization."

But why would they want to hop on a sinking ship? Albert Mohler has declared:

"I do not believe evangelicalism has sufficient resources for a thick enough Christianity to survive either this epoch or much beyond."

http://www.albertmohler.com/2017/02/13/benedict-option-conversation-rod-dreher/

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm... I've never considered myself or anyone in the historical Baptist movement to be an "evangelical."

Evangelicalism was a term created to distinguish those from mainline churches who still believed in the fundamentals of the faith from the rest of the mainline churches. It had a better sound to the ear than "fundamentalist" since the name had been tarnished in the public mind as someone who is bitter and angry at those who are not in their faction.

Since the Baptist movement did not arise from mainline churches - it began in the Radical Reformation and was quite distinct from the mainline churches which were heirs of the Reformation - Baptists are not evangelicals. The historic Baptist distinctives are also often at odds with mainstream evangelicalism.

However, since the meaning of evangelical has slipped in the popular mind to mean "a conservative that is evangelistic," I can see why some Baptists think they are evangelical. However, I think they are mistaken in either their Baptist identity or evangelical identity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, after looking at the member denominations, as a Southern Baptist I must say no thank you to joining the organization.

http://www.nae.net/denominations/

There are denominations in there with critical theological differences, as well as Pentecostal/Charismatic denominations that are really just a trap of the Enemy in terms of doctrine and "Gifts."

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet there's Russell Moore on the "Endorsements" page:

https://www.nae.net/about-nae/endorsements/

"The National Association of Evangelicals models both conviction and cooperation. When the NAE speaks, it is with careful theological reflection and with a tone that never compromises the gospel of Christ or the mission of the church. As the Body of Christ engages often complex questions facing civil society, it is a blessing to have a strong, unifying, biblically-anchored ally in the National Association of Evangelicals.
    Russell Moore President, Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention"

7. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK I must remind myself to not sin in my anger. The reason that strikes me as so terrible is that he is talking about denominations that hold onto doctrines that most southern baptists in church would have a very hard time ever accepting as having come from the bible if we brought it up in a small group.

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree with your historical analysis, I don't think the last paragraph follows. Evangelical in modern parlance is exactly what you described: Conservatives in the Protestant tradition (and please, I don't want to get into a "Baptists are not Protestants" debate. It's shorthand for "not Catholic.") Southern Baptists share more with Evangelicals than they do the the mainline denominations, so far as basic beliefs are concerned, so it's only natural they may find common cause.

I'm a cultural Evangelical, but I wouldn't use that term to describe myself. Baptist, with no qualifiers, is enough. But that doesn't mean I can't find room for agreement with people of other traditions, even Lutherans, Anglicans and even Latin Rite folks.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have any concerns about your reasoning here, but I think Baptist distinctives are contrary to much of what the NAE represents. I'm happy to find agreement where I can, but I don't like joining institutions where our core convictions are not congruent.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As "he starts his job...at Wheaton—the flagship evangelical Christian college," former Lifeway pollster Ed Stetzer explained that he had stuck with the SBC over the last decade because he thought the denomination's rightward momentum had ended:

http://religionnews.com/2016/06/24/southern-baptists-are-going-to-need-a-bigger-tent/

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what Russell Moore taught when he was employed at Southern Seminary:

http://digital.library.sbts.edu/handle/10392/4195
    [National Association of Evangelicals was formerly headquartered in Carol Stream, Illinois]