1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Still waiting on a answer....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Please make a list of the top 50 theologians before the year 1900 that held to freewill.

1) Wesley
    2) Finney <<<( Its hard for me to call this guy a real theologian)

48 more and your have it.

#81 Jarthur001, Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2007
  2. johnp.

johnp. New Member

They make up their own meanings as well GordonSlocum. :) For instance: Did Bush get elected because he elected himself? Why has the meaning of election changed into something alien?

The US is a democracy and Americans understand what the word 'election' means, why do they tried to kid us that the word doesn't mean what it means?

The Jw's are like that. Trying to kid us with false meanings when the obvious would bite you if it was a dog. But they pick up the ones that want what they offer as free will does.

Pelagius James. Is that two or three? :)

john.

3. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Does Darwin have any relevance to this issue? Who is obsessed with Calvin on this board? Why don't you stick with Scripture and drop this genetic argument?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is 1900 the magic number? Was "classic" Holy Spirit better than modern day Holy Spirit?

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Maybe we're living in the time of apostasy, when men are falling away from the true faith, as foretold in scripture. Maybe not, but that's a possible reason for the cutoff point.

6. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Why did Bush Get Elected? He first made a decision to present Himself for the office. Second, enough people voted for Him. Third, He was ask if He would accept the nomination at the convention. Fourth, Election is not just based upon arbitrary choice. People are elected on the BASIS of something all the time. Christians are Elected on the basis of their faith in Christ.

The problem with Calvinistic thinking is this: It is wooden literal, not normal literal.

Gordon

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

I started to respond but decided that ... there is no point in it. No one is listening anyway.

#87 Allan, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2007
  8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Was asked on the last page...

Plus you added...

And now we have Darwin being compared to Calvin on the table, :)

So it is fair to ask who has changed...and who are these theologians? I would say 95% that you would list, come from after Darwin.

BTW...I have my list ready to go, when I see yours. Being that I recognize that this is a daunting task to list 50 respected free will theologians before 1900, I will reduce this number to 25.

You can thank me later. :)

anyone up for it????

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dead wrong.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says:

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; The Ephesian believers, who actually existed unless you want to deny, like that lunatic president of Iran that Jews who were slaughtered by Hitler did not exist, were as dead in sins and trespasses as dead can be, no feeling of remorse, no feeling of guilt, not knowing they were in that condition;

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
    (A continuation of verse one, showing how these children of God in times past walked in the same trespasses and sins according to the ways of this world, under the influence of Satan, the same influence that even at this present time is at work in the ungodly;}

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires F4 of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. (The ungodly among whom the Ephesians lived and cavorted with, satisfying the mind and the flesh, the ungodly who by nature were children of wrath [which the Ephesians were not], like everyone else who are not of God)
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
    (But God, because of the great love which He had for the Ephesians)

[/FONT]2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

(Even when the Ephesians [and those whom He loved], were dead in sins, uncaring, unmindful, enoying fleshly and spiritual sins, unrepentant, have (not will, not shall, but have) regenerated them, brought them back to life, caused them to be born again, and, oh, by the way, you are saved by grace)

To be elected on the basis of your faith in Christ is to be elected by merit, and makes God a respecter of persons.
    To be able to exercise faith in Christ is the result of being "born from above", enlightened by the light, as you yourself said in your other post, now closed, and to be born from above is to be born by the will of God, again, as you yourself said in your other post.

If one is elected on the basis of his faith in Christ, it follows therefore, according to your thinking, that God causes you to be born again, and then elects you because now you have faith in Christ as a result of your being born again.

Mark that I am not putting words in your mouth, or misinterpreting your doctrine.
    I have simply put into thought and sentence what you have said in your own posts.

On the other hand Paul has been very consistent with his theology. God foreknew, predestinated, called, justified and then glorified, as he wrote to the Romans. And now he writes in the beginning of his letter to the Ephesians:

Please don't apply your freewheeling free willing logic to these verses by saying that God foresaw the faith of individuals and based on that foreseen faith elected them in Christ.

Because that makes God a respecter of persons, respecting persons on the basis of their faith, when the Bible clearly says "not by works of righteousnesses which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us" (Titus 3:5), a faith which He himself gifted them with (Ephesians 2:8-9).

So, now, that thickens your broth, doesn't it ?

First He sends the Light to enlighten all men.
    Then, He causes the light to really light up some, but not all.
    Then, He causes this really lit up ones to be born again.
    Then, He gives them the gift of faith.
    Then, He elects them according to the gift which He gave them, after He Himself caused their rebirth.

Now, who has a puppet master God ?

#89 pinoybaptist, Feb 17, 2007
  10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Humm should I drop the number down again??

Being that I'm a nice guy, how about 15? List the top 15 theologians that held to "free will" before the year 1900. I'll add a few to help.

1) Pelagius
    2) Caelestius
    3) James/Jacob Arminius
    4) Wesley..Methodism
    5) Fletcher another from the Wesleyan / Methodism Tradition
    6) Adam Clark flaming Methodist
    7) Phoebe Palmer (the only lady on the list)...Wesleyan / Methodism / Holiness Tradition
    8) Henry Orton Wiley.. from the Holiness movement

9) Finney ....I saved this guy for last, for he came back to Pelagianism as we see it still growing today. Check out the link below..
    A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Now that is 9...all you need now is 6 more.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll just keep waiting until you supply them, you're doing a great job! :)

I see you are into history pretty heavy. After this can you do the 1800's?

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

That is the end of the list. Kinda short...is it not? And...which ones would you call "great" doctors of the Word of God? AND.....Why are there no Baptist?????? :)

NONE believe in OSAS...which shows that given a deep study of Gods word...OSAS is not part of a free will system of man.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought I'd let you finish your list before I informed you again of what I said originally that you had a problem with...
    I don't personally know any non cal theologians over the age of 107... :)

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I did not want to reply to this earlier until the "great list of freewillers" ran out. You see the list...its rather small.

Now to address you proper...

Yes..this is a new found movement idea. Freewillism was always...always rejected till Arminius put a twist on the subject of salvation. It stated with Arminius saying man could reject Gods call. Before this time, nearly all in the faith claimed man could not say no to God, if God called him. No one believed all men were called by God. Though everyone in the faith was not Augustinian in nature, most did not agree with predestination as Augustin had said it was, they still felt God was in control and man must respond if they were called by God. That is all but Pelagius and Caelestius who said man will was not dead at all from the fall, but was free to do as he wished. This of course was rejected by all, till Arminius came on stage with this new idea rejecting Gods call.

The list of well know men holding to this doctrine in the early years from 1600s to the 1900s are very small. Very, very few Baptist. Now a days many Baptist on this board go back to Pelagius and have no problem with it. Sad indeed.

Below is a clip from...

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

And this was my 1st post...

The ones I listed no Baptist would claim as "great".

So far you have listed NONE. :)

Would you care to see a list of Calvinist theologians before 1900???

Does the web server have the space to hold the full list???? :)

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Please make a list of the top 50 theologians before the year 1900 that held to freewill."

I didn't see that anywhere in your OP...your "first post". For some reason you decided you wanted to limit your little list before 1900. At any rate, my first post came before your first post.
    Replying to my...
    "Most theologians I know believe the truth that Romans 9-11 is dealing with the Jews, not individual salvation."
    with...
    "Please make a list of the top 50 theologians before the year 1900 that held to freewill."
    really makes no sense.

#96 webdog, Feb 17, 2007
  17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Jarthur001, I don't know if your OP was answered and I'm not really getting into the thread, but I did notice 95 posts to it. That should either somewhat answer the question, or raise a whole bunch of new ones! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

18. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

If I quote you perhaps I will not get accused by the accuser. "Dead wrong"

Can't say anymore I was told there are - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .

19. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luis de Molina (who conceived of God's intermediate knowledge to allow free will and predestination to co-exist)'

Erasmus (who dueled with Luther over this very topic);

Hugo Grotius;

Gregory of Nyssa;

St. John Cassian;

Thomas More;

Menno Simons;

Balthasar Hubmaier;

John Smythe;

Thomas Helwys.

#99 rsr, Feb 17, 2007
  20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Even the most cursory review of history will quickly show that the theological underpinnings of the modern church has followed the current laid down by social movements - mainly, democracy and populism - which has led to the embracing of human determinism as the sovereign lord of today. The most ghastly thought to the modern/post-modern man is a personal, omnipotent, sovereign deity that is neither electible nor impeachable. We Christians call Him God.

Of course, that's history as a natural observation. We know God is in control of history, and if this is a day of a great apostasy (and I agree that it is), God has a glorious purpose in it.

#100 J.D., Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007