1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured StopBaptistPredators.org -- are these scandals real?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

And there is at least a couple of people on this board who do not care about this.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently.
    It's just plain old paranoia. People need to learn to depend on God for everything. If they did they wouldn't be so paranoid because it would all be in God's hands.
    MB

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I just talked with a pastor friend who has taught and ministered to children for over 20 years in both secular (public school) and ministry positions (all Southern Baptist churches) and asked his opinion of our discussion.

He said, "If you believe it can't or won't happen in your church then you are a fool" and "People don't see it because they don't want to think it CAN happen."

I am not paranoid, just realistic.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

That is far different than saying it has happened in every church.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Which I never said...

6. mandym

mandym New Member

When you argued that others who said that it has never happened in a church they have been in that they were either blind or whatever it came across that way.

It doesn't happen in most churches.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. FundyPat

FundyPat New Member

As someone who was almost a victim of sexual molestation. I am grateful for this woman's work. When I was 9, a student in the Baptist School I attended exposed himself to me. I was too ashamed to admit that it happened.

So, Yes, it does happen in IFB circles too. Cute thing is, he never went to jail for it. [​IMG]

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We really don't know how often or where it happens. My pastor friend I previously quoted says "A LOT!"

10. mandym

mandym New Member

As a pastor I can tell you it is not all the common. Having said that any amount of this activity is far to much.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And many, if not most churches do the bare minimum unless the parents and/or pastoral leadership demand more. To do it right takes diligence as well as time and money.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

On that we can agree.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To your point, lots of these pastors feel they can reform the pervert & so they actually try to work with them to convert them ... when statistics claim otherwise. Think of yourself as the Orkin Pest Control guy & your living in Florida (Pedophiles & Perverts & other sick individuals want in to access your kids, your teenage daughter, your wife). Spray & treat often. Its no laughing matter when your kid ends up sitting in a bedroom & wont come out for fear of Brother Johnny who is exposing himself in the church Boy Scout meetings.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does getting your kid psychiatric treatment. Tosay nothing for the cost of a lawsuit

#74 Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

While I'm reading this thread, what strikes me is that some believe it really doesn't happen that often in Baptist churches.

While this board is called The Baptist Board and Baptist issues are the focus, please don't forget that these issues are present in in all types of institutions. Baptists aren't immune. If anything, places like churches and charitable organizations are more likely to have it happen because of a more lax attitude and trusting nature towards volunteers.

But...it can and does happen in any type of organization, from churches (ALL types of churches) to Scouts to public and private school schools to Little League and so on and so forth.

I strongly feel that churches need to step up their security measures and whether they believe an accusation or not, do the right thing and report any accusation made. Full local and federal background checks should be done.

A lot of groups also believe it's okay to have teens help out with younger kids, thus bypassing typical rules for who can work with kids, even if they make sure they do their best to assess all adults who work with kids. This is just as worrisome. Why? I'll tell you. Kids can be predators too. I have worked with kids with a certain mental health diagnosis, and some of them have perpetrated against younger children. One committed over 100 acts, including repeated r**e, but nobody outside the family saw her but anything but sweet and charming. That's a hallmark characteristic of the illness...they are one way for others, another way in private. BTW, they sealed her records because she was a juvenile and now, as an adult, she works with...guess who? CHILDREN!

The system doesn't protect us from these people. We have to be proactive and too many people are not. Appearances are deceiving and predators are masters of deception.

I urge everyone to check out their own church policies and make sure they are strong. Never waver from them or make exceptions. You may have a close friendship of 20 years with someone and never dream they would do such a thing, but you never know what is in someone's heart.

Can't say it enough...predators like this are MASTERS AT DECEPTION. They're usually the last people on earth that one would suspect. Think about how many times you've read "oh, they were great neighbors. We just can't believe the allegations, there's no way. They were so kind and helpful to everyone they came across." That nice sweet kid? They then turn and blame the parents. It's the parents fault, when the parent may have tried to do everything in their power to help the child and guess what? Half the time, the church rejects them as just being weird parents, maybe even abusive for trying to keep others safe from what they see as charming, sweet, and helpful children.

BE AWARE! Be cautious. Don't take chances.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Excellent post, Gina!

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wejj said Gina! :thumbs:

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well maybe Paranoid was to strong of a word. My apologies; this kind of thing get's my dander up if you know what I mean.
    You are right that it can happen anywhere, anytime.
    Do you feel the accusation made in the op was justified?.
    Or do you feel the accusation as it is, was uncalled for?
    That this kind of thing is perpetrated by Baptist ministers more often than any other type of ministry. If you feel that it is maybe you shouldn't bring your children to a Baptist Church.
    MB

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hard to say if it is "more often" or not. It's more like mandym said, "...any amount of this activity is far to much."

We need to exercise the UTMOST diligence in this matter.

20. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

There are all kinds of predators everywhere; not just at church. ALWAYS exercise vigilance when taking your kids anywhere.

I walked my kids to the bathroom at public places until they were 13 years old. If it meant my meal at a restaurant wasn't hot, oh well. It was not going to happen on my watch.

That being said, I too am surprised at the number of people questioning the scope of the number of incidents of predation. If successful, where would the Enemy have the most impact? Answer: Church.

Also, predators go for the easy marks and people tend to let their guard down there and other 'family' oriented places.