1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Strange fire Charleston, TN The Church of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tim71, Dec 15, 2016.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they still seem to lack certain characteristics of a cult: extreme top down control, different levels of membership, anti-social activity, etc.

2. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand his Lordship salvation. I think a majority of Christianity today is not separated at all from the world. When you hear that 80% of Americans claim to be Christian. That statement goes against what Jesus said in

Matthew 7:21-23
    21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I understand it, I just don't agree with it. The main problem with it is (not to derail your thread) that he tries to define the Gospel strictly from the teachings of Jesus, when God gave us the Apostle Paul to define it. And we have the sermons in the book of Acts to show us how to proclaim it--something MacArthur appears to forget completely. (Do you emphasize the resurrection in your Gospel?)

4. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="John of Japan, post: 2297870, member (Do you emphasize the resurrection in your Gospel?)[/QUOTE].
    Yes we emphasize the resurrection

Yes getting back to the subject of this thread. I just copied and pasted this from the original post (It was at this point that the true Church ceased to function but the organization continued. This event was foretold in Isaiah 54:7 and 2 Thessalonians 2:3.)

How would you correctly interpret these scriptures?

#44 Tim71, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 54:7 is very clearly a promise to the Jews. (1) Isaiah was to the Jews (1:1). (2) The context in Ch. 54 is to people who will "inherit the Gentiles" (v. 3) and whose Maker is the "Holy One of Israel" (v. 5). To make it apply to anyone other than Jews is to twist Scripture.

2 Thess. 2:3 is a little more difficult, but not that hard. It is an obvious reference to the Antichrist, who will cause the "Abomination of Desolation" (Matt. 24:15, Dan. 9:27). The context of both of these passages shows that this event will take place in a Jewish event--probably the desecration of the Jewish temple of the tribulation period, looking at 2 Thess. 2:4. It is taking the event totally out of its Jewish context to make it refer to the Azusa Street Revival and the work of Tomlinson.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he teaches very well on certain doctrines, but on the issue of Lordship salvation, he tends to skew almost towards a type of legalism!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did God state that he requires a state of sinless perfection before we can get saved though?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we emphasize the resurrection

Yes getting back to the subject of this thread. I just copied and pasted this from the original post (It was at this point that the true Church ceased to function but the organization continued. This event was foretold in Isaiah 54:7 and 2 Thessalonians 2:3.)

How would you correctly interpret these scriptures?[/QUOTE]
    Must keep in mind that the Lord prophecy deals with Israel and the Church/Body of Christ mainly, as there were none that refer to various groups arising by name, so God did not foretell that their church would arise in end times, nor any other church for that matter!

9. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must keep in mind that the Lord prophecy deals with Israel and the Church/Body of Christ mainly, as there were none that refer to various groups arising by name, so God did not foretell that their church would arise in end times, nor any other church for that matter![/QUOTE]

I should be able with confidence....tell the members of the church of God that Isaiah chapter 54:6 and 7 have already been fulfilled in Isaiah timeline?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should be able with confidence....tell the members of the church of God that Isaiah chapter 54:6 and 7 have already been fulfilled in Isaiah timeline?[/QUOTE]
    If you ask the pastor for what the Gospel is, what would he say?

11. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got this off their website. It disappoints me that 1Cor. 15:1-4 is not mentioned

There are alot of questions in this life which can lead to uncertainty. Do you long for purpose and significance in this challenging life? Do you feel as though you are all alone? Do you know Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour? The Word of God has an answer for each of these questions, and God has a purpose for your life. The answer to all of these questions begins by recognizing our need for salvation which only comes through Jesus Christ.

The Word of God tells us that "...As by one man [Adam]sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"(Romans 5:12). The writer of this book also stated, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"(Romans 3:23). When Adam sinned, man's peaceful relationship with God was disrupted and broken, and every soul that has been born into the world since then has needed to be reconciled to God. God, in His infinite love and mercy, provided a way – His only begotten Son – that all humanity might be restored.

God's Word reveals to us that, "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive" (1 Corinthians 15:22). Death comes to those who are guilty of sin; however, freedom from the judgment of death is available through Jesus Christ. "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:3, 4). God is a merciful God who "...is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9).

Receiving Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour is not a difficult process and is the most important decision you will ever make in your life. "...The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15). The first step to being restored to God is to believe the Gospel which you have heard. The Gospel is God's good news that He has given us a Saviour to save us from our sins. When we hear this good news, we must believe it and accept it as truth by faith. Perhaps you have heard the Gospel and are feeling a godly sorrow for having sinned against God. This is the Spirit of God convicting you of your sins and drawing you unto Him.

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of:..." (2 Corinthians 7:10). Conviction and godly sorrow will prompt you to repent of your sins and forsake your sins and sinful way of living. "The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken [convicted] heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite [repentant] spirit"(Psalms 34:18).

Once you have repented you can accept God's forgiveness. His Word assures us that once we believe and repent that we are "Therefore...justified [acquitted of our sins and guilt] by faith [simply believing], we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1). We stand before God forgiven and accepted just as if we had never sinned! God promises, "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more" (Hebrews 8:12). Immediately upon being justified by faith, God begins His work of regeneration in the innermost parts of your heart. This is a renewing in which you pass from spiritual death unto spiritual life. You are born again into the Kingdom of God – a new creature in Christ. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Now that you have accepted the salvation which God provided for you through Jesus Christ, the Word of God admonishes that you should profess Christ boldly."Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven"(Matthew 10:32, 33).

If you have accepted Christ and asked for His forgiveness, you have experienced the greatest joy that anyone can have in this life. No longer are you bound by sin, and you are free to begin your new life of living for God. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, we encourage you to share your testimony with us! You are beginning a new life with Christ, and we would like to help you as you begin that journey with Him.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are their works and extra revelations mentioned then?

13. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the extra revelation just start watching the video at 1:07:10 to about 1:15:00. This is where they believe the Holy Spirit tells the Church who is going to be their next General Overseer. I'm going to warn you it's pretty spooky

15. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find the whole thing strange However at 1:10:00 when the second man stands up and starts speaking gibberish he is the one who does his own interpretation of the gibberish. My heart is saddened and grieved. Satan is devouring these people I can only pray that God will open their blinded eyes to the glorious gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ amen

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This shows exactly what happens when a church and people no longer value the sure word of the lord in scriptures, and seek outside help!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They misunderstand the person and works of the Holy Spirit and the scriptures, so no wonder messed up!

18. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y
    Yes I agree. Just wondering what would be some good ways at witnessing to these people. My heart grieves for them. I understand now why Jesus said you won't turn to me that ye may have life. It just a sad state of affairs

#58 Tim71, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    talk to them on an individual basis, telling them what God has done in your life and how you understanding the scriptures, and the Spirit Himself will have to take their blinders off!

20. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have finally been able to get in touch with someone at The Church of God (Charleston TN):) This is the question I asked

(Reference the original post to understand my questions)

I don't read anywhere in scriptures where the Church fell asleep from 325 A.D. to 1903A.D Let God be true and every man a liar Romans 3:5

If this happened then how do you explain this scripture?
    Matthew 16:18
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. It looks like for over 1500 years the devil may of prevailed.
    Some great men of God for example William Tynsdale lived during this time that you claim the Church was asleep. The Church of God wouldn't even have the Kings James Bible if it wasn't for God raising this man. I just don't understand why people have to lie about Gods word. We live in times where we need to be like the bereans We need to take what men say and compare it back to the Word of God.

I'm looking for some advice on this Baptist Board on how to answer his questions (below) in a manner where it will be gentle. I know this will be tough. I know only God will open his eyes to truth. I believe some people have the gift of explaining things without being harsh and I pray I get a good response
    from the members of this Baptist Board

This is his response

Tim thank you for your question! I would like to say I think the world of the work William Tyndale did for our Christ. I believe your question should be looked at from both a historical and biblical point of view. First let me establish a few points (1) the reason we call this period of 1578 years the "dark ages" which lasted from 325 A.D. to 1903 A.D. is because our rule of faith The New Testament was put down and a creed of men took its place. (2) The Church of God is said to be the pillar and ground of the truth (1 Timothy 3:15) but starting in the fourth century our rule of faith was replaced and the Church is covered over by creeds and doctrines of men. The organization that ceased to be The Church of God stopped being that pillar and ground of the truth because the true faith was not being taught. (1) the new birth i.e. being born again was not being taught (2) the second definite work of grace subsequent to Justification namely, Entire Sanctification, stopped being taught (3) The Baptism with the Holy Ghost which is always subsequent to sanctification and always accompanied by the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance stop being taught (4) Divine Healing: James 5:14 - 16 (5) Washing the Saints' feet: John 13:4-17 (6) Repentance: Acts 3:19 (7) Justification by Faith: Romans 5:1-9. All these truth stopped being taught.

So with all these doctrines not taught how do you say Tim that God's Church did not cease to function? I'm not saying that God's divine institution under the New Covenant died never to rise again but that it according to prophecy would arise again (Isaiah 54:5-17) (Isaiah 60:1-5). So I would like to ask you a question; were in history from 400 A.D. to 1500 A.D. is the pillar and ground of the truth? because there is not one group that taught all those points of biblical doctrine between those years. Now if people didn't teach sinners to repent and be born again how can you say that the Church did not cease to function? If justification by faith (Romans 5:1-2) is not taught how are people being born again? It is our belief that one is born again upon repentance into the kingdom of God. The Bible teaches that being born again and added to the Church are two different things. That is a sinner must be born again before he can be added to the Church.