1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Strong delusion.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Scribe, Jan 22, 2008.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From your link

1. Scipture is Infallible
    2. All practice and doctirne to be tested/justed "sola scriptura"
    3. Virgin Birth
    4. Substitutionary atonement
    5. Literal bodily resurrection
    6. Soon return of Christ

What group does that leave out???

BTW - it did not mention women pastors, the deity of Christ or the trinity -- so by that list - even the JWs are in

oops - they believe in bodily resurrection for all BUT the 144,000 so that leaves them borderline?

in Christ,

Bob

#21 BobRyan, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Given your link to Christian fundamental beliefs page -- what is it that Presbyterian's no longer believe in that list?

Bob

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Actually, I left the Independent Baptist Church for the true one Church that believes and teaches the true fundamentals of Christianity as was taught by the Apostles themselves.

INXC
    -

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Get ready to duck, brother. :smilewinkgrin:

5. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Well, wikipedia leaves out things sometimes. Maybe, a Catholic edited it. :saint:

A church can't have a female or homosexual pastor. Some Presbyterian churches are electing them to preach. They have strayed from Biblical doctrine.

Trinity is a must. The Father, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Spirit.

Another must is that Jesus is and always was the Messiah and was our sacrifice on the cross. Without Jesus there is no sacrifice for sin and that Jesus bodily raised in three days after His death on the cross.
    Bishops/Pastors must be the Husband of one wife.

Here's a good list. Doctrinal Beliefs

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Some Methodist might still follow Biblical Doctrine. Look at the link above this comment.

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Like I said before... Some of them are electing female and homosexual pastors.

They have also become too Calvinist.

Limited atonement
    Christ did not die for all men but only those on the "saved list"

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

WHAT!!?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Cara

Cara New Member

I can't speak for the other denoms you mention, but can respond to your statement about the Catholic Church. It is only the Latin (or what some refer to as the Roman) rite in which priests take a vow of celibacy. All other rites within the Catholic Church have a married priesthood. And even in the Latin rite, there are married priests (usually former Anglican or Lutheran ministers who are already married and wish to serve in the Catholic priesthood). The celibate priesthood in the Latin Rite is a discipline -- not a doctrine -- of that rite. It could change tomorrow, but probably won't. Moroever, the vow of celibacy is not forced but voluntary on the part of those who wish to serve as priests in the Latin rite of the Catholic Church.

As for being the "husband of one wife," I do believe that means no bigamists or divorced/remarried bishops. Certainly there are widowed bishops in Christian denoms, so that portion of the passage cannot mean "must be married" in order to serve as bishop, but "IF married, must be married to only one wife."

10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

When I joined the BB I had just left the IB Church and was attending a Methodist Church. I'm now an Orthodox Catechumen. I'm not able to modify my profile to reflect Orthodoxy.

I am fond however of some of John Wesleys older writings and thanks to John I discovered the Apostolic and Early Church Fathers.

INXC
    -

11. Cara

Cara New Member

This is probably a very elementary question for you regulars here, but I honestly don't know the answer. How can one tell if a church is "Baptist in name only?"

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. not sure how a Presbyterian becomes "too Calvinist". Isn't that like a Luterhan becoming "too Lutheran"?

2. Also - the things you list above - do not appear as "fundamental doctrines" in yor Wikipedia link. One would need to conclude that your reference to real truth must be some set beyond the list given there - right?

in Christ,

Bob

13. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

When they stray from Biblical doctrine.

As for the Catholics.
    Calling the priests father. God is the only Father.
    Praying repetitive words using the rosary beads.
    Praying to saints and Mary.
    The perpetual virginity of Mary.
    Saying Peter wasn't married, when he was.
    Sprinkling instead of full immersion for baptism.
    All false beliefs.

Catholic doctrine

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That link has a much more specific list of doctrines -- narrowing the scope down to ... "Baptist"?? If you accept those doctrines as listed there are you not "Baptist"? In fact might you even be a "certain kind of Baptist" (i.e. not free-will or not Seventh-day Baptist)?

in Christ,

Bob

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If teaching incorrect doctrine = feeding lies, then I would say all denominations including Baptist denominations are feeding lies to their congregants.

In my eyes, the solution is not about leaving any particular group to go to the "One right and pure" group but for groups and individuals to communicate and study the scriptures together so that all parties will become more biblical and orthodox.

There are some exceptions where the doctrine and practice are so far removed from biblical and historical Christianity that immediate removal from that toxic environment is more important than dialogue. Fred Phelp's independent Baptist church is one such example.

Sometimes an individual comes to a point in their spiritual journey where the church or denomination they are currently in no longer reflects their beliefs or is no longer able to support their spiritual growth, like what Agnus_Dei probably had to go through. At that point a switch is necessary. Whether it is to or from a Baptist, evangelical or protestant denomination, I support it if the person grows in faith and biblical orthodoxy.

16. jed101

jed101 New Member

I am with you Scribe! We have attended an independent Baptist Church for many years. I really appreciated their strong stance on separation, purity, moral issues and music.

We are now attending a Baptist Church which belongs to the Baptist Union of Western Canada, which is a member of the CCC (Canadian Council of Churches). The CCC includes Catholics in its membership who even hold positions of authority within. Most mainstream denominations in Canada are members of the CCC, and as such, part of their offering money is sent to this organization, which has been around for a long time, but has only recently allowed the Catholic church to become members. It is a real concern for my familly; in fact at the moment we are designating our tithes to separate needs which do not get sent to the Baptist Union.

We actually are fairly happy with the church other than this issue, and the music. The Independent Baptist Church we were attending actually turned toward Calvinism, believe it or not. But, I will never speak out against a church that holds high standards and does not compromise. It really bothers me when people get upset at an individual who only wants to promote the straight and narrow path that our Lord has set out for us.

Frank

17. jed101

jed101 New Member

What do you think about this Scribe? I know your heart is in the right place.

18. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

In reference to the OP, no, I have never considered joining an IBC. Far too heterodox for me to even consider joining.

19. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I checked out the 'catholic doctrine' link. It reminds me of something Jack Chick would come up with. Actually, when I was a Baptist I used to stand outside of Catholic churches and pass out Chick tracts to people after mass. I really regret that now as I have learned that I didn't know what the Catholic Church actually taught nor did I understand scripture (nor does Jack Chick!)

I suggest that you actually learn what the Catholic Church does teach regarding Mary, the rosary, baptism, etc. The website you are referring people to is very distorted and without valid arguments.

Calling priest Father? Lets see, you have a mother and you have a . . . . .? What do you call him? The bible also says 'call no one teacher' but then I suspect you do that too.

Repetitive prayers with the Rosary. I believe that bible warns about VAIN repetitive prayers. I don't think repetitive prayers are the problem. Many of us would be doing good to repeat many of our prayers. BTW, the Rosary is a meditation on the life of Christ. I think it is great for contemplative prayer.

Although I am an Anglican and not a Roman Catholic, I now do my best to learn what Catholics do believe before I make claims about their church. You might want to actually check out one of their sites such as http://www.catholic.com/
    and read what they have to say about the issues you listed above. I think we have an obligation to 'study to show ourselves approved'. Don't you?

#39 lori4dogs, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  20. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

People will be saved as long as they have repented and trusted in Jesus Christ. I don't think someone who is a Methodist for example is going to be sent to Hell for being in the "wrong" denomination.