1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supporting Mitt Romney

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Mar 24, 2012.

?
  1. Voting for Obama

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Voting for Romney with little or no reservation

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Voting for Romney while holding my nose

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. Will vote for a 3rd party - even if it means Romney loosing

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Other answer

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. I cannot vote as I am not a US Citizen, (just want to see the results)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the only time these southern states vote for a non-Republican is when the candidate is from the South (Wallace, Carter, Clinton) otherwise they are solidly Republican. Just look at the composition of the US Congressional reps, the governors and state legislatures in the southern states.

AL: 2 GOP US senators, 6 of 7 US House members GOP, GOP governor, state Senate GOP controlled, state House GOP controlled.

GA: 2 GOP US senators, 8 of 13 US House member GOP, GOP governor, state Senate GOP controlled, state House GOP controlled.

LA: 1 GOP and 1 Dem US Senator, 6 of 7 US House members GOP, GOP governor, state Senate GOP controlled, state House GOP controlled.

MS: 2 GOP US senators, 3 of 4 US House member GOP, GOP governor, state Senate GOP controlled, state House GOP controlled.

And these states have been like this for decades. Yet you believe that these citizens will suddenly vote for Democrat Obama because they can't stand Romney.

#21 InTheLight, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

First of all, you do not have a clue about southern culture. Secondly, did you look at the links since you failed to look them up on your own? Why do you expect others to look up references for you when not only have they already been posted, you can look up reference material as well as the next person.

Again, your figures are meaningless. First of all, in the south, voters view state and local elections differently than national. It just so happens that the Republican candidates since Reagan have for the most part carried the South. However, in your expert analysis, you failed to mention the following in your theory of the solid Republican south.

In 1960 the Democrats carried TX, LA, AR, GA, SC, NC and a third party carried MS, and AL
    In 1964 the Democrats carried TX, AR, KY, TN, FL, NC, VA
    In 1968 the Democrats carried TX and a 3rd party carried LA, AR, MS, AL, GA and part of NC
    In 1976 the Democrats carried TX, AR, LA, MS, TN, KY, AL, FL, SC, NC, GA
    In 1980 the Democrats carried GA
    In 1992 the Democrats carried LA, AR, KY, TN, GA
    In 1996 the Democrats carried LA, AR, KY, TN, FL
    In 2008 the Democrats carried NC, VA, and FL

In this year's Mississippi primary Romney came in third behind Santorum and Gingrich. Of those who voted for Santorum and Gingrich, only 60% would vote for Romney according to exit polls. Blacks are 38% of the voters. There is a core of at least 10% are white voters who vote Democrat in national elections regularly.

You know what, this pattern is also true in the other southern states. What is also true is that you have no idea what you are talking about, and are too lazy to look up points to back up your arguments, yet you expect others to do that.

I do not know Minnesota politics (thank the Lord), but my guess is you do not even know your own state. You have no idea what Romney did as governor. You probably have no idea of what Mormon doctrine consists of.

#22 saturneptune, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Waiting on your links to the several bills that Romney signed that are pro-abortion, pro gay rights, pro gun control. Please post them.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The links in post 19 are all you are going to get from me. That is enough evidence. There are many more already posted in other threads. Either look them up yourself or stay in the dark as you are. Your avatar is quite descriptive, lost in space or is it spaced out?

#24 saturneptune, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Evidently you are good at a LONG continuing rant against Romeny, yet when asked to support you allegations, you fail to do so.

This could either be because you are lazy and don't want to look up this information, or you cannot do so because what you accused Romney of is a lie, or you just don't care if what you say is true or not, as long as it hurts Romney.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why dont you read the links? Or better yet, just vote for Obama, which is what you are going to do anyhow. Read before you talk.

I have no problem with a difference of opinion or a back and forth. However, when the links are posted to support my position and the other person does not even bother to read them, or that person has no links of his own, that is just sheer laziness.

#26 saturneptune, Mar 25, 2012
  7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in those links showing that Romney signed "several bills" that were pro-abortion, pro gay rights, or pro gun control. This was your assertion and it hasn't been proven.

I did post a link showing that Romney vetoed a bill to provide the morning after pill but that his veto was overridden by the Democratic controlled Massachusetts legislature.

I would advise you not to make comments about my avatar and being spaced out Mr. SaturnNeptune. LOL.

#27 InTheLight, Mar 25, 2012
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Actually, all kidding aside, that name comes from a hobby of using a scope to look at the stars and planets. I really enjoy it. Saturn is a sight to behold. I remember years ago on this board, one person asked me if I worshipped Roman gods, and he was serious. I was just kidding about your avatar. I used to watch the Twilight Zone and Star Trek growing up. The worst space show to ever come on was Lost in Space. If I ever see that robot swinging his arms around again saying "Danger, danger", or one of Dr. Smith's antics, I will throw up.

Back to the op, I did post a link that showed the bill you are talking about. That is true. The two links I posted in 19 were just summaries, but many more are in other threads. So who did you vote for in the Republican primary? Ours is in May, and since we have closed primaries, and I am a member of the Constitutional Party, I cannot vote until the general election.

I have looked back over most of the links, and one could make a case either way on abortion and to a lesser extent gay rights. Really, the political differences between us is so slim that it comes down to judgement and personality. Looking at the bigger picture, until we start getting two candidates instead of having to vote for the "lesser of two evils" or against someone, or for a third party, nothing is going to change. We need to be putting this in a positive frame of mind. Instead of voting for the lesser of two evils we should be saying, I could have voted for either one, but candidate A is a little better.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did take a look around the massresistance.org site and there was some disturbing info about Romney apparently pandering to gay voters and for awhile he favored civil unions as a compromise to stop gay marriage but as far as I know he never signed any legislation to curtail gun rights or expand abortion rights or gay rights.

If Romney becomes President I suspect that he would not sign any similar type of legislation. If he becomes President I would hope he would nominate pro-life Supreme Court justices. We KNOW Obama won't do this which is reason enough to favor Romney over Obama. We also know that Obama is pro-gay rights and favors gun control. (But that's a whole different thread.)

We have caucuses in Minnesota and I didn't attend. If I could have voted in a primary I would have voted for Santorum.

10. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I've posted my view on this ad nauseum in this forum, but since this is a thread devoted solely to Romney, I'll do it once more for old time's sake. I just can't resist. My vote says I stand behind and support the nominee I am voting for. I can not in good conscience vote for Romney because he refuses to sign the prolife/personhood pledge(s), he has current ongoing flip-flops on the Personhood Amendment instead of taking a consistent stand for it, and he has refused to attend pro-life events where candidates have been questioned on their positions. There are numerous sites on the internet discussing the various points I have mentioned, but the link below briefly ties them all together.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/romney-is-gop-holdout-on-personhood-pledge/

Romney floats with the wind. I just have to mention that if I didn't have a problem with Romney already, the endorsement of him by Jeb Bush would have me re-examining him in a big way. J. Bush should have fought for Terri Schiavo in Florida until either he saved her or he was impeached. I'm not at all surprised by this endorsement. These are two spineless men and they deserve each other.

In the poll I voted Other, because if Romney is the nominee in November, I'm not 100% sure yet whether I will vote third party or write-in.

I'm staying true to my conscience and letting God deal with it. These are my final two cents worth on the subject.

#30 PamelaK, Mar 25, 2012
  11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me. Vote your conscience the rest is the hands of God and an unknown computer programer. :smilewinkgrin:

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romney has said he will reinstate the Mexico City Policy and cut off funding for the United Nations Population Fund. FYI, the Mexico City Policy is a policy that Reagan started by executive order that prohibits tax payer money from funding international family planning clinics that provide or promote abortions.

Reagan started it, Clinton rescinded it, and George W. Bush re-instated it (his very first executive order as President) and Obama rescinded it once again.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...tions-Population-Fund-Planned-Parenthood.html

#32 InTheLight, Mar 25, 2012
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Look at the poll. Two would vote for Obama, and two for Romney with little reservation. Despite our minor differences about the matter, this paints a very stark picture of the situation.

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Courtney, I created a new thread for you to discuss Mormons and Christianity. I trust you will be a good source of information since you once belonged to their church. I pray you will not be defensive but would carefully consider the truths about the LDS as different board members post some facts about the church. God Bless and welcome to the board!

Are Mormons Biblical Christians? Sorry, this link is not working. Just go to "Other Christian Denominations" and you will find the thread.

#34 steaver, Mar 25, 2012