1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supreme court justice souter to retire

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Apr 30, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

One vote Maybe for Napolitano... Got it... :thumbsup:

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

It's scary he would even consider her.

She actually said that illegals who cross the border...illegally...are not breaking the law.

She defended the now infamous DHS "extremist" report.

She has proven time and time again to be over her head.

And we're considering giving her a lifetime appointment to the Supreme court?

Souter was a flaming liberal...but at least he had a functioning brain stem. And to my knowledge, he didn't think of people who oppose immigration, support the 10th amendment, and oppose abortion as "extremists."

Please tell me you don't defend this woman, LB...

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm not familiar with most of the things you listed but no she wouldn't be my pick. I haven't given much thought to who I would like because it really doesn't matter to me. The supreme court is too political to be called a court. Just about every decision is 5 to 4. If they were really deciding by the law I think there would be more unanimous decisions.

A bigger joke, how can we wait until the composition is changed just to get previous decisions overturned? That is not a court, it is an extension of DC.

I will say this is one place where Obama and I part. Rumor is he may choose a non-judicial person. Perhaps a politician. Though that would make the true colors of the political court shine through, I would like to see justices chosen for their love and commitment to law and the constitution. Politicians spend their time changing the law and constitution, I don't think that's what we need in the SCOTUS.

I also don't think we should choose justices by their judicial record but by their judicial record that stood unchanged before a higher court. This means it must have been a fairly sound decision. I would like to see a court whose only concern is are we as a nation getting the law and constitution right...

Since I know we won't ever have my flavor of court, I generally don't care who they pick. Thomas was the last straw for me...