1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supreme Court of the CSA

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think slavery should be illegal. :Wink

The article makes sense. The CSA would be focused on the rights of the state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granted that the American Civil War of 1861-1865 was fought over states rights ( which, in the South did include slavery but was not the main focus of the war ),
    I see that this article puts forth the reason that the CSA did not organize its own Supreme Court, and it is stated clearly in the first paragraph.

" The Confederacy never organized a Supreme Court because her founders generally interpreted the U. S. Constitution strictly."

The states were experiencing a shift towards big federal government in the United States even back then,
    and where it was going they didn't want to go.
    IMO, in the United States of America, this problem has existed for a very long time...
    and it is present today ( and growing ) and being felt by many.

The power of a federal government that is bound by a constitution ratified by all the states, was something that those who founded it were convinced needed to be established in order to protect both individual and group freedoms.
    Today we see how far that has come, and how many who serve the federal government on behalf of the states do not seem focused on upholding that Constitution near as much as was emphasized in years past.

Ultimately and as a Christian living in a country that the Lord has graciously seen fit for me to be born in,
    I agree with slavery being abolished and the equality of all men under God being upheld...

But one thing that I see as having come out of the Civil War, is and was the gradual establishment of the United States federal government as the head of the states,
    and not the states as being the head of it, with its power being subject to the states as originally envisioned.
    This has not only not changed, but has progressively become much worse...
    Especially in the last 100 years or so, and very much so in the past 20 to 30.

As examples, the treatment of the events of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks ( which brought about the establishment of the DHS ), the increasing violence across the United States in cities and in mass shootings over the years ( which continually bring up a review of the Second Amendment ), and the outbreak of SARS-COV2 have only brought much of that to light, as I see it...

and clearly shows the desire of the United States federal government to impose its wishes on the states,
    regardless of the spirit or letter of a Constitution that exists in order to limit that power.

That being said, I view all of this as an outside observer...
    Being mindful that I don't look to this world as my home, but rather to the one that is to come.

#3 Dave G, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should keep in mind that Rhode Island was blackmailed into signing the Constitution.
    Ratification of the United States Constitution by Rhode Island - Wikipedia

This earth is our home - for now - and we should live as such.
    By stating that "this world is not my home" we are telling non-Christians that we are better than them and how can we tell them what to do.
    Granted we don't need to be so involved that there is no room for Christ - but by showing we care - then we may open doors to those who need Christ.
    Think of it this way - suppose a British subject was to move next door to you and then proceede to tell you how the United States (and local govts) should operate. Our first thought would be - "when you become a citizen..."

Dave - Post # 3 was excellent!