1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Military Funeral Protesters

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is part of my point - even though a school is "public property" there are still limitations. Actually there are many restrictions on school grounds now days. Likewise I contend that even if a cemetery is "public property" especially a government owned Veterans cemetery - then limitations should still be available.

C4K stated "he said that you can't 'falsely' yell fire." (supreme court said you cannot yell fire in a crowed theater)

but suppose, I take out my cancer stick lighter, flick (now there is a flame) and yell "fire". I would not be yelling it falsely. According to the recent SCOTUS, I have a right to do so.

I do appreciate what PreachinJesus said: "Now if they happen to have a wall of willing volunteers who will block their view and the view of their protest that is also a lawful assembly."

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

How do you get that from this ruling?

The court ruled that there was no basis for a lawsuit. The Westboro cult were acting peacefully and in full accordance with the local laws. How is that like walking into a theatre, lighting a lighter, and yelling fire?

Are these folks wrong for doing this? Certainly.

Are they acting illegally? Nope.

3. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Roger how do you ignore people who are picketing our deceased soldiers funerals?

4. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Westboro Batptist church thinks they have won with the Supreme Court backing them up. Uh uh. there is a judge who will make thins injustice right.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Simply do not acknowledge their precense. Family friends show up to block the view and turn their backs on these publicity grubbers. They love to make a show. Take that away from them and their effectiveness is gone.

6. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

It pleases none of us to admit that the SCOTUS made the correct decision. Yet it is the right decision. If we were to say that the Government has the right to curb and control speach that is "inflammatory", then when they say that our preaching against sin or about judgment and hell is likewise inflammatory, have we not given them the right to silence us as well?

7. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

You are certainly correct. Isn't it ironic, however, that the group that argues that the US Government is illegitimate will likely tout this victory as vindication.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

All 17 of them... That is about the total membership of the church.

I guess if they have the right to protest at funerals, that the reverse may also be true -- someone might consider protesting their church...

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Actually, they can't, and it would be interesting to see if they try. The reason they cannot, is that they would end up negating their primary message -- that God is judging America for homosexual behavior by killing our government-led soldiers -- and to suggest that the same government handed down an edict in their favor would be to mix their message. Is God using America or not?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That would just give them what they want. They are like spoiled children craving attention.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this: attend the church....

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

If you can't ignore them, block them out -

VIDEO HERE

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alito, a sound mind in the midst of a Marxist choas.

Here's the thing. Phelps' protests aren't about speech anymore than burning the U.S. flag. They're about harassment, and you bet the liberals will let him do it. If they don't, then they pull the rug out of all the intimidation and sedition in which they themselves engage for their causes.

People give in to them mostly for the sake of peace, but liberals are about to push too far. Phelps is going to find himself shot one day, and the liberals will shrug their shoulders and say, ho-hum. He had it coming.

(But let one person even suggest that George Tiller had it coming, and God help him.)

The conservatives are just confused.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It may not just be the only way. It may be the best way. First Amendment rights used responsibly vs. First amendment rights used for harrassment and evil.

Thanks for the video.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This is definitely NOT about harassment. This is a free speech issue. The City had an ordinance that mandated a 300 yard stand-off to the funeral, and the Phelps cultists abided by that. The family did not even know about the protests, until AFTER the funeral. The charge of "harassment" is ludicrous.

If you allowed that to stand, what is to keep me and my evangelist friends from being arrested for the SAME charge, just for sharing the gospel? And before you say "that's different," please understand that #1 It is already happening, and #2 The Phelps crew is the first group that lawyers and anti-christian activists point to, in defense of their silencing us.

Had the supreme court ruled against the Phelp's, the flood gates would be open, and within weeks legitimate evangelists would be getting arrested for "harassment." Homosexuals would be saying they were "harassed" because the evangelist called down their sin. Silliness would ensue.

Note: that there are two groups SCREAMING about the "unjustness" of this, and it is not the conservatives. It is the liberals, who think that Christian free speech should be silenced, but no one else, and the veterans groups, who are reacting to this more out of emotion.

I support the right of every American to stand up and say whatever he wishes (with the exception of lewd speech), even if I hate what they are saying.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney. Alito: Funerals are unique events at which special protection against emotional assaults is in order.

Simply because in this one Maryland case the protestors couldn't be seen, that is not the way it is in each one. Often they can be seen during the procession and the graveside. And 1000 feet is beans.

This is not a freedom of speech issue.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether you call it a free speech issue or not, the court made the right decision. If they had implemented legal restrictions on these numbskulls, the next question is: where does it stop? This case would have been used as precedent by anyone that wants to stop someone else from saying something they don't like.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Westboro had a protest at the Catholic church just around the corner from my house over the weekend. I don't even know why they picked the church in Shively -- no funeral, nothing of note to cause a picket -- just closest to the airport, I guess...

I was saddened to see the local news cover them in a way that let Phelps and company proudly display their signs for all to see. They have quite a routine, each holding multiple signs, shuffling them constantly like a big deck of cards so each message is clearly shown for long enough to read it.

Over 400 community members, including a nice bunch of motorcyclists interested in promoting American freedom, were on hand to make sure that Phelps and company did not have his day.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Hundreds-gather-to-protest--117493134.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.