1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sweeny ISD (Texas) Students May Sit During the Pledge

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Not every day, but often. I didn't pledge allegiance to them in a militaristic fashion every morning. Additionally, "allegiance" or respect/obedience to ones parents falls in line with the Christian ideal for the family. Giving allegiance to an earthly kingdom, it would seem, falls distinctly outside those lines.

Public office is not something I aspire to do. I can't say absolutely never, but not very likely.

I would not voluntarily join the military as it stands today. I'm not a true pacifist, but I wouldn't ever put myself in a situation where I might end the life of an image-bearer. If our situation ever changed seriously and I were drafted, I would still do my best to stay out of that situation unless it was absolutely necessary to defend further loss of life (white, brown, black, Christian, Muslim, American, foreign, whatever).

I don't have a problem with people who do, and I'm proud of my grandfathers, who served in WWII.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like great motivation!

That reminds me of when I was in Army ROTC in college: The Captain informed us midway through the knot-tying training session that our knots would be the only thing that would keep us from slapping the pavement at terminal velocity when we rappelled off the seven-story fire tower to the pavement below.

There was a tangible shift in the level of attention to detail within moments. :laugh:

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Oh, forgot to address this.

No, at least not in this part of the country. The nationalistic sentiment is huge, by and large.

And you can love or hate the public school system, but most teachers are in there day in and day out, giving their all the teach the children who are sent to them. Most of us don't agree with the system, but we do our best because we love children and love our content area.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Lord called you to run for public office, and you won the election, would you then take the oath of office?

Very simple YES or NO

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, since they're no longer here to love. Anything that may breathe life into that word outside of our current incidental experience would be opposed to the biblical meaning of 'love,' which necessarily results in action-- which I cannot and am not capable of in regard to them.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Things aren't always black and white.

And here's the deal. I am almost certain that I would run for office, but if I did, I would probably affirm instead of swear.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wold make a great politican, as you cant seem to answer the question that is asked

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America; and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

-----

Fold One
    Life on Earth
    Fold Two Eternal Life
    Fold Three The veteran who gave a portion of his life for the defense of the United States
    Fold Four
    Humanity's Weaker Nature and the American's reliance on God during both peacetime and wartime
    Fold Five
    Tribute to our Country
    Fold Six
    The state of the American's heart
    Fold Seven The United States Armed Forces
    Fold Eight
    Tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that humanity might see the light of day
    Fold Nine
    A tribute to Motherhood
    Fold Ten A tribute to Fatherhood
    Fold Eleven
    The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Jewish citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
    Fold Twelve The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

-----

Regarding the Great Seal, the official explanation of the colors was given by Charles Thomson, who took the symbolism for the colors from a book called Elements of Heraldy by Antoine Pyron du Martre:
    The colours of the pales are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valor, and Blue, the colour of the Chief signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice.

#28 Don, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Partial Sources: U.S. Army Military History Institute; iCasualties.org
    CONFLICT NAME APPROX. SPAN CASUALTIES
    War of Independence 1775-1783 25,000
    Northwest Indian War 1785-1795 1,221
    Quasi-War 1798-1800 20
    Barbary Wars 1801-1815 35
    War of 1812 1812-1815 20,000
    1st Seminole War 1817-1818 30
    2nd Seminole War 1835-1842 1,500
    Mexican-American War 1846-1848 13,283
    3rd Seminole War 1855-1858 26
    Civil War 1861-1865 623,026
    Indian Wars 1865-1898 919
    Spanish-American War 1898 2,446
    Philippine War 1898-1902 4,196
    Boxer Rebellion 1900-1901 37
    Mexican Revolution 1914-1919 35
    Haiti Occupation 1915-1934 146
    World War 1 1917-1918 116,708
    World War 2 1941-1945 407,316
    Korean War 1950-1953 36,914
    Vietnam War 1964-1973 58,169
    El Salvador 1980-1992 20
    Beirut 1982-1984 266
    Persian Gulf "Support" 1987-1988 39
    Invasion of Grenada 1983 19
    Invasion of Panama 1989 40
    Persian Gulf War 1991 269
    Somalia 1992-1993 43
    Bosnia 1995 12
    Afghanistan 2002-2011 1,423
    Iraq 2003-2011 4,430

#29 Don, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the flag of the United States signify? A country that adopted, in the first amendment of its constitution, the statement: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof....

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not asking anyone to pledge allegiance to a country over allegiance to God; simply putting out a reminder that this country, when it was formed, made it a point to specify that one of our greatest freedoms is to exercise our freedom of religion.

Having spent time in countries that aren't allowed such freedom, I have a somewhat different perspective on supporting a country that does.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

A republic is not a kingdon. Sovereignty is with the people. And frankly I can't see why you would object to pledging to be "under God".

That's probably best for all involved. :tonofbricks:

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You really have a problem with people who don't serve in the armed forces, don't you?

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not trying to nitpick, but the actual Pledge does not have the comma between "one nation" and "under God."

In 1954, when Congress modified the Pledge in the middle of the Communist scare, they turned a political assertion "one nation, indivisible" (a rejection of the right of secession) into a theological assertion, "one nation under God, indivisible" (which sounds nice, but doesn't necessarily mean much).

Those of us who believe that all political entities are "under God" (that is, under the authority of God) see nothing particularly noteworthy about that. At best, the political entity known as the United States is irrelevant in the Kingdom of God. At worst, it is under judgement. The Soviet Union was "under God," even if they did not recognize it.

Some make the argument that the Pledge leads people to make the acknowledgement that we are under the authority of God, so it's a good thing. Well, that's just underscores that the Pledge (since 1954) has become a way for the government to urge students to make a theological assertion every morning, whether or not they believe it. Historically, Baptists have always rejected that kind of government meddling with the religious convictions of it's citizens, especially children, who may not be unduly influenced by their peers and authority figures to comply.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree!

However, we need to consider that since the Pledge requires students to make a theological assertion, "one nation under God," that we are trampling freedom of religion to some degree when we use the authority and influence of the government over children to promote their affirmation of this theological assertion every morning as part of a citizenship ritual.

True freedom of religion requires the ability to have freedom from religion without undue government influence or social ostracism if a citizen abstains. In a public school classroom, students would find that they are under heavy pressure to conform to the expectations of their teacher and the actions of their peers. They face something very close to compulsion.

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Or maybe it does mean something. It is a statement of the precedence of God's authority above that of the nation.

Then why object to saying it?

As the OP points out, individual colleges are free to not require the pledge. Local school boards are free to dispense with the pledge if they want. Is there a problem with local communities expressing their patriotism and their belief in God (or not) as they choose?

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's Satan's domain and has often looked antithetical to God's Kingdom. There is nothing inherently Christian in the founding documents of this country, either. Some of the founders were Christians, some were nominal Christians, and others weren't at all.

The fact that some of them had some concept of creating a Christian society doesn't make it Christian in any authentic sense. It's never been Christian and, though God has ultimate domain in the affairs of humans, it has never been under God.

19. billwald

billwald New Member

>A republic is not a kingdon. Sovereignty is with the people.

Non sequitur. When Rome was a republic half the people were slaves. North Korea is a republic. Is sovereignty with the people?

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I do not - I just have a problem with people who go off on a tangent and do not answer the questioned that is asked.

FTR - I have no probem that Obama was never in the military- he is still the Commander in Chief

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.