1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Symbols in the word of God.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Jan 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

The Revelation is about Covid 19, huh? I don't know where to go from here. I will wait for a sensible, rational, reasonable point and if I don't get one I will consider this a wrap.

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, was COVID 19 a plague (a pestilence)?
    *Revelation 6:7-8*
    When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!” And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death, and Hades followed him. And they were given authority over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by wild beasts of the earth.

Read Revelation. Nowhere does it say that these seals are opened in a 3.5 year window, after a pretribulation rapture.

So, was COVID-19 in alignment with the 4th seal?

Of course it was. As was smallpox, the measles, the Spanish flu of 1918 and the plague in the Middle Ages.

God is showing you why all these things take place and you are just sticking your hands in your ears and screaming "la, la, la" to keep from hearing what the Spirit is saying to the Church.

3. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read these verses and the context.

Isa 2:12 For the day of the LORD of hosts [shall be] upon every [one that is] proud and lofty, and upon every [one that is] lifted up; and he shall be brought low:
    Isa 13:6 Howl ye; for the day of the LORD [is] at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
    Isa 13:9 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
    Isa 34:8 For [it is] the day of the LORD’S vengeance, [and] the year of recompences for the controversy of Zion.
    Jer 46:10 For this [is] the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates.
    La 2:22 Thou hast called as in a solemn day my terrors round about, so that in the day of the LORD’S anger none escaped nor remained: those that I have swaddled and brought up hath mine enemy consumed.
    Eze 13:5 Ye have not gone up into the gaps, neither made up the hedge for the house of Israel to stand in the battle in the day of the LORD.
    Eze 30:3 For the day [is] near, even the day of the LORD [is] near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.
    Joe 1:15 Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD [is] at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.
    Joe 2:1 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for [it is] nigh at hand;
    Joe 2:11 And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp [is] very great: for [he is] strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD [is] great and very terrible; and who can abide it?
    Joe 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD [is] near in the valley of decision.
    Am 5:18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end [is] it for you? the day of the LORD [is] darkness, and not light.
    Am 5:20 [Shall] not the day of the LORD [be] darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?

Ob 1:15 For the day of the LORD [is] near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.
    Zep 1:7 Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord GOD: for the day of the LORD [is] at hand: for the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests.
    Zep 1:8 And it shall come to pass in the day of the LORD’S sacrifice, that I will punish the princes, and the king’s children, and all such as are clothed with strange apparel.
    Zep 1:14 The great day of the LORD [is] near, [it is] near, and hasteth greatly, [even] the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
    Zep 1:18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD’S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.
    Zep 2:2 Before the decree bring forth, [before] the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD’S anger come upon you.
    Zep 2:3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD’S anger.
    Zec 14:1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
    1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
    2Co 1:14 As also ye have acknowledged us in part, that we are your rejoicing, even as ye also [are] ours in the day of the Lord Jesus.
    1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
    2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Ro 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

Ro 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Re 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Re 6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Re 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief.
    Blessed [is] he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Ro 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Ro 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Col 3:6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

1Th 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, [even] Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

1Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Th 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
    3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
    4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
    5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
    6 Therefore let us not sleep, as [do] others; but let us watch and be sober.
    7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
    8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
    9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation (deliverance) by our Lord Jesus Christ,
    10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.
    11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Ro 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

You are in great, great error, and there is no excuse, especially now.

The day of the Lord is coming until Revelation when it is come in Re 6:17

4. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you think there is only one day of the Lord that is ever mentioned in the entire Bible?

If, you are right, then every mention is referring to the very moment that God burns the earth with fire.

*2 Peter 3:10-12*
    But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn!

So, if I grant you your claim, it still means we are in the tribulation since the day of the Lord is clearly the end of this wicked earth.

5. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

You are engaging in a very dangerous practice. You are denying a theme of the prophetic word of God in favor of the imaginary doctrines of heretical men. This is not the definition of believing God, whose word John says the Revelation is.

Re 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
    Re 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
    Re 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
    \
    The same mystical mind that has persuaded you to ignore the theme has also persuaded you that words don't matter, and so you quote from a translation that makes it difficult to understand time frames. Following is the correct words that gives us light on the mind of God;

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

The day of the LORD in it's immediate context is always a reference to the beginning of the 1000 year day when God destroys sinners from off the earth and reigns over those who were redeemed through the tribulation of those days. Peter is the only prophet who deals with the end of the day and that time frame is congruent with the following context of time and prophesy.

Re 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
    2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
    4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
    5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
    6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
    7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
    8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The day of God is the eighth day. We have been instructed about the number 8 throughout our Bibles. It is the beginning of a new week. It is the day after the seventh day sabbath. It is an eternal day. There will be no night there. It is not that men will be with God in heaven, but that God will be with men on the new earth, and they all will be his people.

For the broader context of the day of the Lord, one will note that God says so and so will take place "in that day." The day begins in the night and ends in the night but the daylight is glorious during the day when Jesus rules in righteousness with a rod of irion and is the provider for all the needs of the earth. Examples.

Isa 30:26 Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Isa 2:17 And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
    Isa 2:11 The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
    Isa 4:2 In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel.
    Isa 11:11 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.
    Joe 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.
    Am 9:11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:
    Zec 2:11 And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.
    Zec 14:9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
    Joh 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

The Bible is a Jewish book. In Jewish thinking, the evening and the morning constitutes a day. The day of the Lord begins in the evening and ends at the very end of the day and the week and time, and the new Day of God begins without sinners and without sin.

6. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks to me like you've got the calculations down and with all these events in the book of Revelation, from chapter 4 on, being set in the future somewhere, then the Beast can't be here now and possible even lie and deceive you.

Remarkable.

Congratulations.

Sweat.

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    What "theme" am I denying? The woman is Eve and the line of the Promised One to Mary and Jesus and then to the Church established by Jesus. Satan is the dragon.
    *Revelation 12:1-6*
    And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth. And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems. His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it. She gave birth to a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God and to his throne, and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which she is to be nourished for 1,260 days.
    You have never addressed Revelation 1:19 which openly tells us that John is about to have the past, the present, and the future revealed to him by Jesus.
    Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this.

Again, you have this unsupported "theme" that you never actually tell us.
    The day of the Lord is very clearly the end of humanity, the burning of the earth by fire, the judgment declared by the angel in Revelation 14.

You keep imagining I have a "mystical" mind, yet I am the one who is actually reading and understanding that much of Revelation is revealing past and present activity of God. It is an amazing encouragement in this present darkness. You are the one who is pushing everything into some ethereal future.

JD, the only time the number 1000 is used is in Revelation 20. Since the number is symbolic, not literal, the day of the Lord never is referencing the beginning of Jesus reign. It is always referencing final judgment.

Agreed. It is the destruction of the earth, the winepress of God's wrath (Revelation 14).
    You struggle with the symbolic 1000 years. I am an amillenialist.
    The Millennium: When Is It? | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org

Does this make any difference in our positions?
    After God destroys the earth, he will make it anew. Do we not agree?
    (to be continued)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    continued...
    You are plucking verses all out of context, with no teaching on each passage, and then demanding I accept your assertion.
    First, it doesn't matter when a day begins or ends. Evening or morning, it's irrelevant.
    The day of the Lord is used for a variety of events, all within the context of a passage. Peter is referring to the final day when God wipes the earth by fire instead of water.

The Bible is God's word. Is God strictly Jewish? Were all writers Jewish? Stop forcing something on God.
    If the day of the Lord is before a literal 1000 year reign and there are no sinners and no sin, then why, in your timeline, is there...all of a sudden...sinners and sin...again...at the end of 1000 years. Does Satan do another Garden trick all over again? Do you see your conflict?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

You may not spiritualize the whole Bible and then worship your work, because it is not wise. The scriptures do not have anything to say to folks like you that you can take to the bank. Why can't you accept the definition of the beast from the testimony of the one who gave it, Jesus Christ. This is not hard to do for men like me, but for men like you, it is impossible. Let's look.

1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
    2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
    3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
    4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?
    5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
    6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

So, first of all the beast is a collective consisting of seven heads and ten horns that suddenly appears from the sea, symbolizing the multitudes of peoples.. Verse 1.

Then one of his heads is singled out in V 3, who according to the next 3 verses, Verses 4-6, is personified in this single head.

So, what do the heads symbolize and what do the horns symbolize? Do we know? Can we tell?

Re 17:7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

Re 17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

We learned earlier that a mountain represents a nation, and the taller the mountain the greater the kingdom.

Isa 13:4 The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together: the LORD of hosts mustereth the host of the battle.

We learn from out teacher, the Lord Jesus, that "horns" represent kings of the nations.

Re 17:12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

This brings me to say that I think your faith is not in a person, the Lord Jesus, first of all, but a system of religion. You make stuff up or you follow others who have made stuff up. This is not wise.

BTW, we do not need to wonder who the dragon is; We are told that plainly.

Re 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

10. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is obvious from this set of comments that you do not read my posts, or you cannot follow simple logic and cannot reason with the argument. I have not been under any illusion that you can, but I comment anyway for the benefit of those who can.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read your post and I understand it. I lived in dispensationalism for decades. It is you who cannot see outside the bias of your training so as to actually understand the fullness and practicality of Revelation to every person who has ever been blessed by reading the great words of comfort that encourage us to persevere. Instead, you make Revelation of no practical good. For you, it's just a book of fear that you are imagining you escape by virtue of a pre-trib rapture. JD, it is sad to see you missing out on a great and amazingly precious gift of encouragement from God to every believer today. I am blown away with worship and encouragement as I read Revelation. Let antichrist come. He is under the leash of my King. He can do nothing, but snarl and scratch. He is defeated and he knows it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Praise God!

13. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The heavens passing away is after the Millennial Reign, just before the eighth day begins.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning -
    This thread will be closed no sooner on Saturday than 1430 GMT /
    330 am EDT / 1230 pm PST

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have it half right. Of course the other half is left. Which you interperted the New Heaven and New Earth as being in the eigth day.

16. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think The Lord will Come Back, today?

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    If today is the harvesting of all the elect, then, yes. (Revelation 14)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PLEASE DO NOT USE "WINNER" ON CLOSING A THREAD - IT CHEAPENS THE MEANING OF "A WINNER"

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.