1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking Richmond

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, please stop talking about my behavior and address the issue. The acceptance of slavery by Christian leaders introduced a destructive heresy into the body of Christ.

The northern baptists did not split from the southern baptists over sweat shops.

Any professing Christians who presents rationalizations to justify slavery is unstudied and wrong.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr Reynolds again disparages me and does not address the issue. Pay no attention to those who present rationalizations to justify slavery.

Sweat shop labor in the North was as brutal as or worse than slavery. The implication is that two wrongs make a right, since people were exploited in the north, exploiting blacks in the south is just as "ok."

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RT claims abortion is worse than slavery. So what. Does that mean slavery is not a horrific ungodly abomination? Nope
    Pay no attention to those who try to justify slavery as "not as bad as ...."

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    or say 'well don't we all have skeletons' in the face of such vile stuff.

Reformed theologian R. L. Dabney's POST Civil War foulness:

"we know that the African has become, according to a well-known law of natural history, by the manifold influences of the ages, a different, fixed species of the race, separated from the white man by traits bodily, mental and moral, almost as rigid and permanent as those of genus. Hence the offspring of an amalgamation must be a hybrid race, stamped with all the feebleness of the hybrid, and incapable of the career of civilization and glory as an independent race. And this apparently is the destiny which our conquerors have in view. If indeed they can mix the blood of the heroes of Manassas with this vile stream from the fens of Africa"

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that rather than ASSUMING what a person means, when not SPECIFICALLY stated, one would ask first for a clarification.
    Many a “hoof & mouth disease” would be avoided if such were practiced.
    IMHO, of course!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, your commentary.

8. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just twisting another's words, which perhaps you would better understand if someone were to interpret your objections as amounting to an approval of abortion.

You asked, "So what?" Well, here is the so what. The big difference here is that slavery was outlawed long ago, whereas abortion on demand is protected and encouraged. If slavery were still legal, there would be need of standing against laws protecting and encouraging it.

As it is, those who actively oppose the slavery of the past, already deemed wrong and outlawed, are pushing and practicing a particularly hideous form of murder when they should be calling for it to be outlawed. That degree of hypocrisy is outrageous, completely indefensible, and should be called out.

Given the way you are twisting the argument, why shouldn't your apparent defense of these hypocrites be interpreted to mean that you are in essence approving abortion?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is justifying slavery

• Like Like x 1
  10. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that really, in your opinion, the absolute most horrible act of depravity ever committed?
    The comment made was that nothing was worse than slavery, and someone suggested that abortion for convenience was more depraved. That does not make slavery “good”, it just challenges the assumption that slavery is the greatest evil possible.

Are you really prepared to defend slavery as the absolute greatest evil? Worse than the purges of Stalin or the Khmer Rouge? Worse than the Nazi death camps? Worse than abortion or sacrificing infants in the fires of Molech? Is there really no evil greater than slavery?

• Like Like x 1
  11. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read about the life, and life expectancy, of a chimney sweep. Then get back to me on that opinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again addressing the poster, rather than the position. Pay no attention to those who advocate that slavery was not a godless abomination but use implication to facilitate plausible deniability.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, abortionists say it is about "women's reproductive rights" and those who honor the defenders of slavery say it is about abortion. Good grief, Miss Molly.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see, those who call me a liar. Those that say I am twisting words. Those that say my words indicate

Here is my post, in case the massive number of deflections has hidden it:
    Some the folks who wore blue and won the war were Pennsylvania farm boys, not yet 16 years old. I think Christ's ministry was deeply hindered by those who twisted scripture such that slavery was not condemned as a horrific abomination. How many wearing gray died thinking they were on the side of God? When thinking about Portland, do we consider that God visits the inquiries of our fathers down to the third and fourth generation. All through my life I could see the smoke, but nobody poured water on it, and now the godless Marxists are pouring gasoline on it. Make a list of destructive heresies.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed the quote where I said or suggested "slavery is the greatest evil possible." Note the consistent misrepresentation of my view to hide the truth.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Here is the conversation all laid out for you (including YOUR quote) ...

I admit that I took some liberties paraphrasing you, however "as demonic as it gets" [your exact words] and "the greatest evil possible" [my paraphrase] do seem to convey approximately the same meaning ... unless you meant the statement literally and somehow believe that slavers and slave owners were not actually human beings but were literally "demons".

So now, for the record. Did I misrepresent your view to hide the truth, or have you borne false witness against me?

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why ask the question, your post proved I never said slavery is the greatest evil possible. I did imply slavery is as demonic as it gets. This is consistent with the fact that if you break one point of the Law, you break the whole Law.

1) Two wrongs do not make a right.
    2) Any depravity can be rationalized by saying, well it is not as bad as.... Think about this claim, Hitler was not as bad as Stalin, and Stalin was not as bad as Mao, Or if you murder your father, that is not as bad as murdering both your father and mother.
    Anytime you see the "not as bad as" defense, see it as depravity on display.

18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said ...
    Since you reject my question, I will rephrase it as a statement:

Since "as demonic as it gets" [your exact words] and "the greatest evil possible" [my paraphrase] convey the same meaning, I did not misrepresent your view to hide the truth; you have borne false witness against me.

[Talk to the hand.]

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those presenting falsehood like to charge their victim with their malfeasance.

]Here is a link to an article on misuse of scripture to rationalize slavery.
    How Christian Slaveholders Used the Bible to Justify Slavery

20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a dog in this fight, BUT, refer to post #26 and see the escape - honorable - that was available to you. Now I know this applies to some others as well, BUT AGAIN, you could have nipped all this at the start had you so desired!

I speak from experience cuz I've done the exact same routine before, and repented after my PRIDE withered a little and saving face was off the table. So much bandwidth AND unneeded heat could have been avoided so easy IF-----! I now try to ask the intended meaning if I am going to challenge a statement, unless it is very pointed and unequivocally blunt.

Even now, if I have misread your intents, I apologize and am open to correction!

MARANATHA

• Friendly Friendly x 1