1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking Richmond

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you post suggests that I mischaracterized someone else. But sweat shop labor being worse than slavery seems to say the south was no worse than the north. If you understand it differently, pray tell, explain it for us. It is a waste of time to engage in I did not say this or mean this so you are a scum bag liar.

As far as not having a dog, truth should be your dog, and the truth is justification of slavery by means of twisting scripture is a destructive heresy. Note that the people finding fault with my behavior have not said they agree with the above statement. People who attack people but avoid taking a position on the topic are not to be emulated.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK!!
    I leave you to wallow in your on personal little "poor misunderstood me" pity party.
    See ya later!!:Frown

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic disparagement of me, rather than presenting their understanding of the topic.

As far as not having a dog, truth should be your dog, and the truth is justification of slavery by means of twisting scripture is a destructive heresy

please stop talking about my behavior and address the issue. The acceptance of slavery by Christian leaders introduced a destructive heresy into the body of Christ.

Again addressing the poster, rather than the position. Pay no attention to those who advocate that slavery was not a godless abomination but use implication to facilitate plausible deniability.

Here is my post, in case the massive number of deflections has hidden it:
    Some of the folks who wore blue and won the war were Pennsylvania farm boys, not yet 16 years old. I think Christ's ministry was deeply hindered by those who twisted scripture such that slavery was not condemned as a horrific abomination. How many wearing gray died thinking they were on the side of God? When thinking about Portland, do we consider that God visits the inquiries of our fathers down to the third and fourth generation. All through my life I could see the smoke, but nobody poured water on it, and now the godless Marxists are pouring gasoline on it. Make a list of destructive heresies.

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zealous condemnation of past slavery shouldn’t simultaneously justify present abortion.
    added:​
    Pay no attention to those who try to justify abortion by saying slavery was just as bad.

#44 RighteousnessTemperance&, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So was Paul wrong when he told a slave to return to his master?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Equating the 1 century slavery in the NT with the slavery practiced in America is erroneous. It represents yet another effort to twist scripture so as to justify the kidnapping, mutilation, raping and murder practiced under the heresy that slavery was ok.

And do not go past this, Paul is asking Philemon to accept Onesimus as a "beloved brother."

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, was Paul wrong with telling the slave to go back to his master?

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is was Paul wrong to tell the "master" to receive the slave as a beloved brother.

Scripture teaches we are to obey the law but work to undermine injustice. Had the slave done wrong? Yes. But just as Christ covers our wrongs, here Paul as a type for Christ says he will cover for the runaway's wrongs.

Slavery in America was wrong, and treating others as unequal or "different" than ourselves is wrong. Anyone honoring the advocates of American slavery is wrong. This is the scriptural view in my opinion. Those that twisted scripture to support American slavery introduced destructive heresy into the body of Christ.

To deny the southern baptists were wrong supports that heresy.

Southern Baptists Apologize For Slavery Stance

#48 Van, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020