1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tank Man

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by James_Newman, Jun 7, 2007.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

The Tianamen Square video, that everyone in the western world is familiar with, has effectively been disappeared in China. I read recently where it was shown to some Chinese college students who had no idea what the event was.

'Tank Man' may well have been disappeared himself.

(Was that in the video also? My connection is too slow to actually view it)

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Yes, they did show the picture to four modern day students there who were unable to discern what they were seeing. It was a chilling demonstration of the power of censorship. As for the tank man, there were differing opinions as to what may have become of him. I hope he is well.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is hard to wrap my brain around is that this event is almost 20 years old. What happens to time?

It may have been censored in Chinese classrooms, but I used that photo many times in my American history classes to teach quite a few things.......I never failed to have children and teenagers moved to speechlessness over that photo and story.

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Outstanding documentary...thanks James.

Long live Tank Man!

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one knows, but his legacy of bravery and boldness lives on and continues to inspire many in China fighting for freedom

7. Walguy

Walguy Member

For those who don't recall it, soon after the famous images made their way around the world, the Chinese officials systematically removed all journalists and spectators from anywhere near the area, and the protestors then vanished from the face of the earth. I think it's reasonable to assume that if the protestors were merely going to be arrested, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of removing all the witnesses. Logic indicates that 'Tank Man' was either killed on the street, or died in prison soon after. They could not afford to have a symbol of rebellion like that ever finding his way into the light of day again.