1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taxing the Rich Won't Solve Deficit, Says Tax Foundation

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. When do I start getting my share of Steve Spielberg's and Whoopi Goldberg's wealth? If they could spend $50,000 for a plate at a fundraiser for Slick Willie, they've sure got it to redistribute.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to try to use an analogy to address Paul's silly "redistribution of wealth is a good thing" argument: remember in school when we pulled out some gum, and the teacher asked us if we had enough for everyone, and we said no, so she made us spit it out?

As for Convicted--I really, really encourage you to reseach some opposite viewpoints, if only to have some balance. Based only on what I've seen you post here, the economic history you've been presented is heavily slanted towards the left.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don,

Here is a better example of an analogy in school.

On the First day of class in his Economics class a professor asks his 50 students if they think that the govt should require income distribution. All but three raise their hands.
    At the end of the mid-semester here are the grades breakdown:

Actual grade - recorded grade
    3/ A +..............1/ A+
    5/ A -...............2/ A-
    6/ B+...............4/ B+
    9/ B-..............14/ B-
    10/C+.............16/C+
    5/C-.................2/ C-
    6/D..................1/ D
    4/F...................0/ F

average B-

The seven students who had their grades reduced complained that it was not fair, as they had worked for the high grade. The Professor simply stated that he was just grading the way they believed at the beginning of the semester. They should be glad to help the students who did not do that well. The professor went on to say, he was going to use the same procedure the second half of the semester.

Well guess, what, those seven who had their grade reduced, had even lower grades for the second half of the semester. The average dropped to a C+. By the end of the year, the average grade was a D.
    Do you wonder why?

Oh, the three who received an A were the ones who did not believe in income redistribution - You see, they understand economics

#43 Salty, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  4. billwald

billwald New Member

How about this grading system?

A= 90% and over

B= over 80-89

C= 70-79

F= 69 average and under

The person who gets a 99% grade had a recorded A and 9 points are credited to next semester's final grade average. and so on with B and C students.

The person with a 60 average grade gets a reported F and 9 points are subtracted from next semester's final average.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WAAAAAY back in 8th grade English, my teacher returned a one-page report to us; at the top of my page was a "99." I looked over the page, trying to figure out what I did wrong; there were no marks on the paper. I took it up to her, and asked what was wrong. She looked over the paper and said, "nothing." I asked, "So why didn't I get a 100?" She said, "no one gets a 100."

At that point, I figured, "then why am I trying?"

You can come to your own conclusions as to my gradepoint average after that.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really not understand what this would bring?

The kid who realizes "Joey over there is a sure 95; so that means I only have to make a 75, and I'll get an 80, which makes me a B instead of a C."

There is no "fair" way to redistribute wealth, that doesn't breed an attitude of "I'll only do as much as I need to, because I'll get the rest from someone else."

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, you just brought back memories! In my 8th grade English class I was getting A- grades. Like you, I was getting 98's, 99's, even 100's on assignments and tests. In the third quarter I asked the teacher, "How do you get an A in your class?"

Answer: "You have to do extra credit. No one gets an A without doing extra credit. Do a couple of extra book reports, for example."

Me: "So I could ace every test, every assignment and not get an A?"

Teacher: "Correct."

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>The kid who realizes "Joey over there is a sure 95; so that means I only have to make a 75, and I'll get an 80, which makes me a B instead of a C."

Joey gets an A and next semester has 5 points added to his final grade. You get a C and have 5 points carried over to the next year's final.

This is the same as carrying tax credits and your IRS bill into the next year.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This OP is not talking about carying over tax credits to the next year - its talking about you paying extra taxes, becaue the other guy is not carring his own weight - and I am talking about those who are able to pay their own way - but do not - either becuase they are too lazy or they have overextend themselves.

In the Light - I think you had an excellent teacher!!! :thumbsup:

10. billwald

billwald New Member

BUT the OP confuses the fictitious middle class with our owners. The well paid workers pay to much taxes and support the minimum wage owners. The rich people don't support the poor people. You have been conned!