1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Taxonomy of Fundamentalism (IFB)

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by fmcsimmons, May 14, 2013.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I have frequented GARBC churches for the last several decades - I started out IFB.

Back in the 60's, I did volunteer work for Perry Rockwood (The People's Gospel Hour) helping to copy and distribute tapes. He has gone on to glory.

I'm not ashamed to be called a fundamentalist but I don't believe we can ever return to the days of JoJ's list.

HankD

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is the GARBC not a kind of IFB?

I remember him. I heard him preach at BJU.

What would be different now from my list?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GARBC - Well to be forthright I like the moderate view of most GARBC churches of personal practices.

When I began my walk with the Lord I attended a very strict church (no cards, no movies, no tv, no slacks for women, no "bobbed" hair for women, etc...). Of course that was almost 50 years ago.

Different from your list. - Even with the tight rules there was an "atmosphere" about my circle of independent churches that I enjoyed that seems to have dimished (when I vist) over the years - maybe its just me.

HankD

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dad pastored a GARB church when I was in HS, but that was a long time ago. I enjoy the fellowship of the BMM missionaries here when I can, but other than that I've not had much contact with the GARBC in recent years.

I was told on furlough last year that there was some dissension in MI between more conservative churches and the others. Heard anything about that?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I have the email of your fiance? I need to warn her against being unequally yoked with you. You are both in for a world of hurt if you marry and aren't agreed in matters of conscience, but you insist on trampling hers.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the membership of the church I attend is only minimally aware that they are a GARB church. About the only time it surfaces is when the budget is passed with the line item for the fee.

But I do remember from many years ago a phase of paranoia (or so it seemed to me) when there was the cloud of suspicion hovering over even the most conservative of churches concerning their possibility of succumbing to "neo-evangelicalism".

I believe Harold Ockenga of Park Street Church in Boston was one of the first to receive that dubious title and heard a few fiery sermons about like-minded churches dropping like flies into the neo-evangelical pit (although I must admit in those days I was a fan of those fiery sermons).

Today, I'm afraid I would be numbered among them, though I privately/personally support separatism and contending for the faith (but not verbally beating up my brother (unless of course, he deserves it)).

:)

HankD

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really! That's interesting.

Actually, Ockenga claimed to invent the term. (See his intro to Harold Lindsell's Battle for the Bible.) It's a common mistake nowadays to attribute the term to fundamentalists, but the NE movement was a conscious effort by evangelicals to distance themselves from fundamentalists.
    Too much tearing down nowadays--among fundamentalists and everyone else!

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, I like my present church which contends for the faith without being contentious.

Yes I remember Ockenga, the church he pastored was just down the street from the church where my wife and I were baptised together-
    Tremont Temple Baptist Church.

A friend of mine and I would do street preaching (it was allowed then) and tract distribution in the Boston Common. Park Street Church was right across the street from the corner of the common.

HankD

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you have lots of good old memories!

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a couple of scary ones.

HankD