1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tebow Cancels First Baptist of Dallas Appearance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I am not sure what comments to which you refer. The ones in my post, or the ones by Jeffress in your previous post? If you are talking about gays in the military, etc, then he is allowed to have an opinion on that like everyone else, but I agree opinions should not be preached from the pulpit. Just stick with what is biblical, and that is that the bible does condemn homosexualism. Jesus did not just preach the gospel. He dealt with the society he had, and the problems therein. Did he simply preach the gospel to the women caught in adultery? No, he told her he did not condemn her, but to go and sin no more, meaning He did condemn her sin. Love the sinner but hate the sin, the same thing we do with homosexualism.

#61 Bronconagurski, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Genuine Christian = Shedrach, Meshach and Abednego.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Bronco I was referring to the ones in my previous post.

And I agree. He is allowed to have an opinion. But I also agree it doesn't need to be coming out of the pulpit. Such statements make it difficult for all Christendom to minister. Those who make such statements inevitably become the face of the SBC or Christianity whether or not they intend. And we just don't need to have folks thinking that what they have chosen to do in order to deal with their brokenness is any more heinous than the things we all choose to deal with our own brokenness.

Jesus witnessed Himself. That's what the Bible does. It witnesses Christ thereby giving the Gospel through the ENTIRETY of the truth presented therein.

If Jeffress made the comments mentioned, then I fully understand why Tebow would back out. But again, no one has said why he backed out.

4. Bronconagurski

You are right, no one will say specifically what it was other than the pastor is controversial. Reading between the lines, though, we can see that Tebow's advisors were instrumental in getting Tebow to cancel. They were told by the media it would be a big mistake (translation: we will come after Tebow) for Tebow to go to the event. This imho.

5. DFG

DFG New Member

Two things. Tebow needs to man up and not dance around the question. If he truly believes his reasoning is based on Christianity beliefs be the defender of it and simply tell the truth. Silence is not helping Tebows cause but a to the point answer would at least let the clear reasoning be known. His reasoning could be perfectly legit but guess we will never know. Second Dr. James Dobson is speaking there. He is a very upstanding Godly person that would have no part of speaking somewhere that wasn't based on strong biblical principles.

6. Bronconagurski

David Jeremiah will be there also, I understand.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

But Dr. Dobson and David Jeremiah are considerably older and probably lack the platform to reach and minister to the people that Tebow can and wants to.

Tebow is a good looking kid and knows that there are a lot of girls and guys he has the door open to minister to just based on a level of attractiveness to them.

If Jeffress made the comments that have been attributed to him, I can fully see why Tebow would choose not to associate himself with it.

He has an opportunity to show compassion to a group that Baptists often denigrate. And in so doing, he has perhaps a better opportunity to reach them for Christ than would Dobson or Jeremiah who a couple of generations wouldn't even listen to.

8. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I Just Gotta Say This....

Zaac...Tebow has something the majority of us will never have the opportunity to have or do.....what is called a "bully pulpit"(at least for the moment). Just because of who he is and the celebrity status he has attained he has the opportunity to speak and be heard in the vast public arena. In our generation that can be short-lived and one can be relegated to relative obscurity if the mainstream media chooses to cut you off. (If Tim REALLY stands and declares the "whole counsel" of God they'd cut him off like a faucett...probably) Just look what they do to the few decent politicians that have tried to take the right stand in recent years. The microphones are quickly withdrawn everytime!
    That said, Bro.Tim should always follow the Biblical example EVEN IF THAT IS THE RESULT. God will ultimately honor and reward those who are faithful to Him and those rewards may or may not be seen or discerned IN THIS WORLD. I think this perceived need to be concerned with WHO or HOW MANY we can "reach" is waaaaay over-rated. That is God's business and He knows how to "promote" or bless and multiply our efforts to His glory and honor. We should not be concerned with nor engaged in self-promotion in any form. It sounds to me that Dr. Jeffress has done nothing more that proclaim the truth about the prevalent sins of our time and the very "exclusive" nature of the truth that Christ is God and that He is the ONLY way TO Heaven and away from Hell. That is not a popular, "politically-correct message in our day....but it is the right one. Thank God that Dr. Jeffress doesn't seem to follow after the Joel Osteens and Robert Schullers of our day. I don't think the Lord Jesus was too concerned with "who and how many" He could "reach" when He overturned the money-changers tables in the Temple or called the over-pious religious rulers He confronted a "generation of vipers" (modern english...bunch of snakes!). People like the Apostle Paul continued that example in Romans 1:18 and following and in Titus 1:10-16 (to name a few).....and many other examples in the Word of God. While I applaud Bro.Tebow's boldness and his desire to reach as many people as his "status" as an NFL QB would allow him to, my advice to him...if I ever had the opportunity to give it would still be..."don't walk in the counsel of unsaved and ungodly advisors and speak the truth (in love) whether the media or the world "at large" like it or not. Be true ONLY to God and His Word and let God promote you." That will always be the advise I would offer if asked.....the opinions of the world at large and the media notwithstanding. For the record....Homosexuality is NOT a "lifestyle" option....it is an abominable SIN, Islam is NOT a religion of "peace" and "Allah" is NOT another name for God...Allah is a false God and "Islam" is a potentially and often violent false religion......modern and historic Judaism( and I DO love the Jews) is also a false religion of "works" that results in it's adherents going to Hell because they trust their works to save them...not the Lord Jesus Christ. They were and still are (as a nation) God's chosen people and they will be restored in the Millenium (sorry all you kingdom builders, and preterists...we ain't there yet). They are still walking in blindness in our day but I believe there are signs that the veil is about to be lifted...PRAISE GOD. Either way...today's Jews are just like today's gentiles...they need to be saved by faith in Christ or they will die and go to Hell. If THAT kind of belief is where Dr.Jeffress and 1st Baptist Dallas stand...then I stand with them....I believe Tim Tebow should too because that is the truth. Peace ya'll!:flower:

Bro.Greg:saint:

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Amen

And again...AMEN! Let's also add Daniel and Stephen and so many others to that list. I look forward to meeting them in Heaven. Thank you for bringing these great men of our faith to the attention of all.:thumbs:

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So has Tebow NOT been declaring he whole counsel of God?

I didn't mean numbers. I specifically meant he's looking out for his ability to speak to different groups and he doesn't want to close the door on that by looking like somebody else's opinions are his also.

I was speaking to the comments that had been attributed to Dr. Jeffress. If they are indeed his comments, they have nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But everything to do with how Baptist have long looked at a segment of the population that Tebow obviously doesn't want to isolate if thse comments are his reason for backing out.

Would you also say the same thing to Dr. Jeffress because again, if the comments that I posted are his and they are the reason for Tebow backing out, the comments have nothing to do with preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ in love.

As I said, what Dr. Jeffress said in the 10 minute video was dead on. But he didn't address the comments that I mentioned. If he said THOSE, then he should have used his time to add an apology.

I'm in complete agreement with what you say here because it is in agreement with God's word.:thumbs:

That is indeed where they stand. But I say again, if the comments I posted are HIS, that's where I take issue. Use the pulpit to preach the Gospel , not to spread your opinion.

If those are his comments, he did nothing but further perpetuate what homosexuals think about Christians and that is that we all hate them and think they've all got AIDS, that they're all pedophiles after little boys, and are all going to hell because they choose to use a sexual orientation to deal with their brokenness.

There was nothing in those comments that would be used by Jesus to share His love.

We've got to learn how to not preach our opinions as though they are the Gospel, and thereby giving people the impression that it's God's truth and what Christians are supposed to believe.

11. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

This is somewhat off topic, but have the Jets decided what they'll do with Tebow?

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And now, Jeffress is plain-and-simple baiting Tebow for his own promotion and self-congratulation, which doesn’t strike one as a terribly Christ-like way to behave. -Darin Gantt, from the article

It sure appears to be the case.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

It IS Tempting....

People are taking the name "Baptist" off their signs these days because, in my opinion, they think it is more important to try and be POPULAR, or "cool" or culturally and politically correct than to be honest and be identified as "different" or "peculiar". This headlong rush to be RELEVANT regardless of the cost is NOT BIBLICAL and I personally want no part in it. I don't believe being a "Baptist" will save anybody for even one second but that said, I am a Baptist because I believe baptistic people are closer to the truth, Biblically-speaking, than any other group in the world today. If I didn't believe that then I wouldn't be one....and if they ever quit being "Biblical" then I would be among the first to officially depart in favor of whichever "assembly of NT believers IS more "Biblical". I am thankful and happy and completely unashamed (regardless of the excesses and "hijinks" of some of our "brethren")to wear the "label" Baptist at this time. Where we came to the place where we think we have to nearly sneak up on people with the Gospel in order to get the truth across is a mystery to me. Personally...I would never go to a church which deliberately removed the word Baptist from their sign.

As far as Dr. Jeffress "milking this "thing" by using some "classic fundamentalist tactic".....well....as respectfully as I know how....baloney!
    The matter is currently under discussion in the "public eye" so he has every right and MUCH good reason to articulate his position until the naysayers tuck their tails back between their legs and run back into the shadows from whence they came. He is "crying out" and "sparing not" from the position of Biblical truth as far as I can tell. If he is wrong them whoever thinks so needs to give SOUND BIBLICAL REASONS WHY....or be respectfully silent.

That is just my (as humble as I know how to be) opinion.

#75 Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely think you should take the title off yours.

17. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Jeffress also believes in creation....6 days stuff! :eek: Guess you can call me a religious nut too! I love listening to him regularly on One Place :thumbs:

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, that's fine. I pray that's what all Christians would believe. But the extra-Biblical opinion stuff is unneeded if you're supposed to be reaching the community.

19. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You mean like when Jesus would reiterate "Have you not read"? Do you even listen to Jeffress regularly to know? Bet ya don't.

#79 Jedi Knight, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I haven't spoken to what Jeffress does regularly. I spoke to the supposed comments that he may have made.

And what does Jesus reiterating "have you not read" have to do with the opinion comments attributed to Jeffress?