1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teen Targeted In Portland Hate Attack Thanks Men Who Died Defending Her

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, May 29, 2017.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Destinee Mangum, one of the teenage girls at the center of a stabbing attack in Portland, Oregon, has shared an emotional message of gratitude for the men who died trying to stop a man who was harassing her.

Mangum, 16, was riding a MAX train Friday with a 17-year-old-friend who is Muslim and was wearing a hijab, according to The Oregonian, when a man later identified as Jeremy Joseph Christian, 35, allegedly began verbally abusing the two girls.

Two men, Ricky John Best, 53, and Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche, 23, intervened on the girls’ behalf and were fatally stabbed. A third man who confronted Christian, 21-year-old Micah David-Cole Fletcher, survived the attack.

In tears, Mangum told Fox affiliate KPTV this weekend that she wanted “to say thank you to the people who put their life on the line for me, because they didn’t even know me.”

“They lost their lives because of me and my friend and the way we looked,” Mangum continued. “I just want to say thank you to them and their family, and I appreciate them, because without them we probably would be dead right now.”

Teen Targeted In Portland Hate Attack Thanks Men Who Died Defending Her | HuffPost

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great post. Wait, did I really say that? Ya, I really did. Keep up the good work Crabtownboy!

Nice that the girl realizes what the men did, trust the other girl does also.

3. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice article about a thankful girl.

Too bad the article title didn't accurately portray the article content.

4. HawgWyld

HawgWyld Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like more proof that we have decent people in the United States. Hats off to the men who defended those girls.

I bet, however, some will turn this into yet another opportunity to point out that Americans allegedly love picking on Muslims...

• Agree Agree x 2