1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Texas Baptist Church to Allow Ministers to Perform Same Sex Marriages

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, May 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, just wow! That it has to be said even

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why the surprise? Such statements are nothing new:

ARBCA • 1689 London Baptist Confession

"Marriage is to be between one man and one woman"

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you saying? To be clear, I’m a New Testament Christian ie no women pastors, no homosexual promiscuity, and a foot washing ordinance :Wink

4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw this coming. Churches who provide for divorce and remarriage (adultery) have no logical reason not to provide SSM. Both sins carried equal weight under the OT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the point... they stop being Christian churches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see the N.T. being any different.

7. MRoss

MRoss New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IN THE NAME OF GOD!

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church cuts ties with liberal group:

May 31 • Waco's University Baptist Church voluntarily cuts ties wth Baptist General Convention of Texas

"'We have been grateful for our partnership with the BGCT, but decided that since UBC developed a position that differs from that of the convention, it was in both parties’ best interest to end the formal relationship peacefully,' [Pastor Josh] Carney wrote in a May 30 email."

"'I know God will continue to do great things through BGCT, and UBC will celebrate that work. Dr. (David) Hardage (the BGCT executive director) has been gracious through this process, and I look forward to our continued friendship.'"

"Joshua Minatrea, BGCT communications director, confirmed in a May 31 email the BGCT 'received and accepted a letter of voluntary withdrawal' from University Baptist. 'We appreciate the church’s historical relationship with the convention, and the nature of Pastor Carney’s respectful withdrawal,' Minatrea said."

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal group?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought there were two ordinances and marriage wasn't one of them.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what's your point?

12. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of anti-Biblical nonsense are they talking? That is heresy to allow that sin and bring the filth of it into the church. Devil blesses that kind of sin, God does not! Romans 1 talks about them.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A compromise advocated by the current chief ethicist of the Southern Baptist Convention, Russell Moore:

Southern Baptists, Gay Community Hold Conference

"What if you get invited to a same-sex wedding ceremony?" Russell Moore, president of the SBC's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, was asked on stage. "In that case, I would not attend the wedding. I would attend the reception," he responded. In that way, he said, a Baptist could say, "I love you and I'm here with you. I disagree with you, but I love you."

#33 Jerome, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonathan Leeman (SWBTS Trustee) warns against condemnatory dogmatism regarding those who reach different conclusions on such matters. He explains that while he personally would not attend a gay wedding ceremony, he would not condemn those who do:

Elder Jonathan Leeman • Cheverly Baptist Church • Don’t Be a 9Marxist!

"I want...you to feel nervous about binding people’s consciences when you’re out on the tree branch of a logical extension from Scripture. Let me give an illustration (and the important thing here is not that you agree with my posture on the illustration itself): Suppose a church member asks me, “Can I attend the wedding ceremony of my gay son?

I personally would not attend, since it seems to give approval to the sinful relationship. In fact, the assembly’s affirmation of a marriage is part of what makes the wedding a covenant-making ceremony.

That said, I have to combine a couple of logical steps to reach this conclusion. So I would warn the inquiring church member about the very real possibility of sin in attending this wedding, but there’s just enough reserve in me because we’re dealing in the realm of logical implication or application...I would not move to excommunicate the parent who arrives at a different conclusion than me. Not only that, I’m also not going to informally separate myself from those parents, say, by adopting a scornful, condemning posture toward them.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fully disagree! Many conservative pastor/churches will allowed a divorced person to be married a second time - but would NEVER allow a SSM!

Dave - what do you base your opinion on?

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    = respect of persons. Divorce and remarriage = adultery. Both sins were equal in the OT and carried the death penalty.

17. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Divorce was not punishable by the death penalty. And God make a concession for divorce. So, divorce is not a sin, since God would never make a concession for any sin. Not all divorce and remarriage was adultery.

You need to read your Bible.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adultery was punishable by death. Divorce and remarriage = adultery. The New Covenant does not provide for divorce = any divorced and remarried for any reason commit adultery.

19. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about biblical illiteracy

Again, you need to read your Bible. Jesus allows for divorce in the event of marital infidelity in Matt. 5 and Matt. 19. And the Bible does not forbid remarriage. It only forbids remarriage in the case of invalid divorce. Since divorce for infidelity is not a sin and is permitted, remarriage in that case is permitted and is not adultery.

You need to read your Bible.

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the Old Covenant. Divorce is not an option in the New Covenant although pagans think differently.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.