1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Texas Governor Calling For Convention Of The States To Rein In Washington

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I get it, too, TC! Do I get honorable mentions?

On a serious note, I can see your concern. It's a very real possibility that it would open the proverbial can of worms.

On the other hand, if that's the only way to get some things done ... drastic times?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Honorable Mention, coming up! honorable mention.jpg

Yes. That is why a full constitutional convention bothers me.

True. If that were the only way, I would say go for it. But there is another way which is less dangerous as the state legislatures would sideline any nonsense coming out of Washington (we would hope). If that fails we might have to resort to a convention.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the likelihood, given the polarization (politically and geographically) of this nation that 34 states would agree to create such a convention, given the possibility for mischief (as mentioned above) that would entail?

Can a convention, once called, be limited to only the specific purpose specified by the states? So far, 28 states have called for a convention to impose a balanced budget. Since a convention has never been called before, it is impossible to say what authority it would have once established. And by what vote would the amendments be recommended to the states? Article V is silent, but it requires that two-thirds of both the House and Senate vote to submit amendments to the states. So would the convention submit amendments to the states by a simple majority or by two-thirds majority?

And even if that were hashed out, what are the chances that 38 state legislatures or conventions would ratify the amendments?

I think it's an interesting "what if?" to contemplate, but it seems fraught with too many difficulties, ambiguities and even contradictions to be a serious project. But it sure works people up.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, let's just leave it all to Congress. That's a much better idea.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You obviously didn't read my response with any amount of understanding. :rolleyes:

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep telling people on BB that they lack reading comprehension, or they're fools, that you're smart, they're dumb. You constantly say "show me where I said that", etc. Have you ever considered that maybe the fault is not with the reader? Maybe your writing isn't clear and concise?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Tom and I are in agreement. It's not the basic idea of a state called convention we oppose. Our opposition is based on what we believe to be a well founded fear of a convention gone wild. IOW, the fruit of such a convention not reflecting the conservative ideas posited above, but it would reflect the ideas of liberals of our nation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the reluctance to authorize a convention that might turn into a runaway nightmare. I used to think that way.

But again, given the polarization of our nation and the demographics, I doubt that anything much would happen except to further inflame the extremes, creating lurid headlines and sound bites and raising money for the political action organizations that thrive in such an environment.

I wonder: The original Constitutional Convention was conducted in complete secrecy. (We are indebted largely to Madison to explain the inner workings of the convention.) There is no way such a thing could be pulled off today. There would be a constant stream of tweets and Facebook posts if it tried to keep the proceedings secret, and a fully open convention would probably keep anything from happening at all, except constant repetition of talking points with an eye toward political advantage in the next election.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It takes three-quarters of the states to approve an amendment. I'm guessing up to two-thirds of the states are red states, either have Republican controlled legislatures and/or Republican governors. I don't see how liberals could get an amendment passed in today's political climate at the state's level. Forty years ago when more states were under Democratic control they couldn't get the ERA passed. How could they get something done nowadays?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you insist: "show me where I said that."

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice try, but I'm not playing. The search function for BB can do that work for you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't back up your false accusation? I thought not. :D:D:D

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scalia said it is very unlikely that could happen.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Republican Party has ceased to exist IMO.

Their only hope is a double scenario,
    First, Hillary is fully revealed and personally rejected for her clandestine and criminal activity during her 1st term.
    Second, A true conservative emerges from the GOP heap and turns the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to the fathers.

HankD

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I greatly respect the late Mr. Scalia, I need to ask why he believes it is very unlikely. And what if he is proved wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Search: comprehension, fool, fools - search all forums - Results. No Results Found.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go back and read the link I provided

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A supposed statement made 37 years ago quoted by a man who is so biased he can't seem to get his tinfoil hat on straight most of the time. :D:D:D

Not to mention shilling his book. :rolleyes:

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist