1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thankful Moments in Raising a Child

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll share a feel good moment. Would like to hear yours.

A text I got from my daughter today.

Daughter: Hey Dad.I've been spending a lot of time reading the Bible and it's crazy how much scripture is in my heart and mind because of how much you quoted it to me when I was growing up. Just thought you might like to know it stuck. hehe

Dad: Thank you sweetie. Well, I found it was my instruction book for life and I passed in on as well as could for your knowledge and understanding and wisdom. Romans 12:2 is about all I had going for me, so I did. I guess it proves the truth in the promise that, raise your child in the way they should go and when they get old they will not depart from it, which was something I banked on and so another promise fulfilled. haha

Daughter: LOL, yes well it's certainly stuck with me. I will come across something and I think of a scripture that is engraved in my brain. I don't know where to find it but I know what it says lol

Dad: I miss the days you would sit on the floor in the office and we talked about the Bible and how it related to things going on at school, your friends or our Christian values in general.

Daughter: Did you enjoy that? That's good lol I liked it too. We talked about a lot of stuff

Dad: Yep, I felt like we really got on a roll sometimes. The Holy Spirit was at work guiding the way showing truth, explaining values, defining love, giving wisdom and speaking of promises all while answering my prayers about how a miserable wretch like me was going to raise his children right. Haha

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool... you must be proud!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, often think it's hard to believe these kids came from me... Confused

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True that! I’ve had feedback from teachers over the years who would say ‘I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it’, but the biggie was when my 92 year old father said of my son, ‘If there’s a better person in this world, I haven’t met him yet’. Thank you Lord, for the blessings you have brought us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Pastor DanL

Pastor DanL New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When my son was twelve years old he had to have surgery on his leg to correct a growth defect. Three days later it was Sunday and he cried because he didn't want to miss Church but was suppose to stay in bed for a week. He normally did not cry over anything so it was very apparent how much it hurt. He had only been born again for about eight months. Now at age forty he is a Baptist Pastor in Springfield Mo.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes sense that the love of God, both give and take, flows down to the children. What a delight to see one's children share in that love!

I think the most prominent example of this I've heard of this is from our member John of Japan. His grandfather, John Rice, had like 5 daughters, they all married pastors, grandchildren became pastors, and their (John's Son) became a pastor - or at least got his PHD in theology.

• Like Like x 2
  7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very kind of you to post this.

I often thank God for my Christian heritage and the love of God I saw in my Christian grandparents and parents. It all started when Texas cowboy Will Rice got saved at a tent meeting. He then had three sons, all evangelists, and a number of daughters who served Christ. My Dad married daughter #2, and then with her backing he preached the Gospel for 60 years!

In the third generation of the John R. Rice clan, many of us are serving Christ. There are any number of pastors and pastors wives, cousin Mark is a missionary in Latvia, and my wife and I served God for 33 years in Japan. Yep, our only child got his Ph.D. in NT from Southeastern, and we now teach together at a Bible college here in Wisconsin.

Just a few minutes ago we had one of the moments mentioned above. He and I and our linguist (Miss B) have kicked off a new M.A. in our seminary in Bible translation. I mentioned to my son that I had a list of possible books for our library on translation. He gave me some input, and now I've sent the list to him for his additions. But before that, we worked on our Japanese translation of the NT together, then threw a baseball for awhile. What an incredible privilege to serve Christ with loved ones, passing down the love of God!

#7 John of Japan, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter went off to college and found a church where she began to lead and still leads the music department and does the singing. It is a large church and now that she graduated the pastor of that church put her up in his home and so she didn't come back to our home. I kind of feel like he's stolen my daughter and I miss her but I try to be thankful that she is so involved and seems happy there surrounded with her friends.

• Like Like x 2