1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

That's the spirit: Belief in ghosts high

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Oct 26, 2007.

1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Those things that go bump in the night? About one-third of people believe they could be ghosts.
    And nearly one out of four, 23 percent, say they've actually seen a ghost or felt its presence, finds a pre-Halloween poll by The Associated Press and Ipsos.
    One is Misty Conrad, who says she fled her rented home in Syracuse, Ind., after her daughter began talking to an unseen girl named Nicole and neighbors said children had been murdered in the house. That was after the TV and lights began flicking on at night.
    "It kind of creeped you out," Conrad, 40, of Hampton, Va., recalled this week. "I needed to get us out."
    About one out of five people, 19 percent, say they accept the existence of spells or witchcraft. Nearly half, 48 percent, believe in extrasensory perception, or ESP.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071026...l&printer=1;_ylt=AsUNVnjg1mJmNlZoXb5N499H2ocA

Do you believe in Ghosts?

2. SouthernBelle

SouthernBelle New Member

My son is fascinated by the TV show Ghost Hunters. If you haven't ever seen it, the guys basically debunk fears of ghost through science and engineering. My son asked me one day if there really were ghosts. My explaination is that if someone experince something it is probably a demon NOT a dead person who cannot enter into heaven or hell. The Bible states to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Bible says nothing about human souls remaining on earth, in or out of another dimension. Absent from the body is present with the Lord, or awaiting judgement in hades.

If people are experiencing this, and they are of sound mind, it must be demonic mimicing human souls. With as wide spread as it appears to be, you would think someone in 55 years would have seen something or known someone who has.

Happy Halloween!!
    [​IMG]

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I was terrified of ghosts when I was little. Even now I still have nightmares involving ghosts. But I've never believed in them. Demons, on the other hand, are a whole different story.

I saw a very recent TV show (Is It Real, I think) showing how typical ghost sightings and poltergiests could be recreated scientifically. Apparently, it all has to do with the amount of electricy and electrical signals free floating in the air, especially in this day and age. In older houses, and building made of granite, electrical impulses are high. These electrical impulses affect the brain. In people who suffer from electrical toxicity (yes, there is such a thing-sort of like an allergy), one of the symptoms is seeing shadows and hearing voices. The "old hag" syndrome is also explained. It is a part of sleep paralysis, very common all over the world, although people from different cultures have different names and experiences based on their backgrounds. Even poltergeists are easy to explain. I watched as one scientist levitated objects, flung dishes across the room, slid things all over the place, all by using Tesla electrical techniques. He's not sure how yet, but there is some way electricity can travel without wires and use the human body to create these scenerios. It was pretty wild stuff!

love,

Sopranette

5. iq4truth

iq4truth New Member

There's nothing in the Bible about the spirits of some dead
    humans "staying behind" on earth. Spirits return to God (Eccl. 12:7). Eccl
    9:5 says that the dead don't know anything (of what is happening on earth);
    several passages in Psalms echo that teaching. Job says that, had he been
    stillborn, his spirit would be with all other spirits including those of
    kings, counselors, princes, prisoners, masters and servants; and there's no
    more earthly trouble in that place (Job 3:11-19). Whether it's a real-life
    account or a parable, Jesus' story of Lazarus and the Rich Man in Luke
    16:19-31 emphasizes that the dead aren't allowed to return to earth.

The only exception to this rule is found in I Sam. 28:3-20. Because God no
    longer answered wicked King Saul's prayers, Saul sought out a woman with a
    familiar spirit (in other words, demon-possessed). That wasn't easy, because
    when he was right with God he himself had gotten rid of such people in
    obedience to Ex. 22:18 and Deut. 18:9-12. But he found one. She didn't
    object or react when he asked her to bring up Samuel for him; but when
    Samuel actually DID come up, she cried out, and correctly guessed that her
    customer was Saul. Reading the fine print, it would seem that she (like any
    other medium) was going to bring forth a demon spirit who would imitate
    Samuel; and when she saw the REAL Samuel, she knew something was happening that was out of her control. Why God made this exception to His own rule is His business, not ours. The point is that it clearly IS an exception.

The magician and escape artist, Harry Houdini, visited so-called spirit
    mediums in every city where he toured, hoping to contact his deceased loved
    ones; but invariably he recognized that those "mediums" were using
    stage-magic, and he exposed them as frauds. We can safely assume that the
    same is true today; almost all such people are hucksters, a few might use
    demon power, but none are what they say they are. The only way to see your
    dead loved ones again is to meet them in the Kingdom of God.

For my whole report:
    http://fp.users.fast.net/infoquest/Ghosts.txt

http://www.ErichLukas.com

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Ghost Hunters is an interesting show because they use different techniques than most of the "ghost hunters" on tv. I watch the show when I can, and when I can remember to watch it, and it has affected my opinion of this issue. Before I started watching that show I attributed most reports of ghosts (etc) to demonic activity. However now that I have watched that show and got something of a first hand look at the real evidence, or serious lack thereof, I tend to believe that most reports of ghosts should be contributed to people's over active imagination. People hear noises (etc) they get scared and their imagination takes over from there. There is also the problem of people attributing various behaviors to ghosts/demons. For example a parent has a troubled teen that does bad things. Instead of just facing the emotional problems their child is suffering from they attribute everything to ghosts and demons (known as poltergiests). Now that does not mean that all reports of hauntings are the results of peoples imaginations (etc). I firmly believe that there are haunted people and locations and that we should take every case seriously. However the people/places that are actually haunted, by demons and not dead people, are the exception and not the rule.

#6 Martin, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Martin,
    Did you see the one program where a 2 x 4 in a basement flew across the room on its own?

8. iq4truth

iq4truth New Member

Christian Info on Occult/Apologetics

For information on ghosts/occult/apologetics, go to:
    http://fp.users.fast.net/infoquest/occult.htm

Videos, Books, Tracts, Web sites, and more.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." (John 8:32)

"For you were once in darkness, but now you are the light of the Lord.
    Walk as children of light (for the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness,
    and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no
    fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them."
    (Ephesians 5:8-11)

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Do you ever engage in dialog, or only shill your books and website? Why don't you buy an ad?

10. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For our Wednesday night progam one of our church members, an OT prof from Belmont, will discuss witches, ghosts, & other spooks in the Bible. I can't remember the exact title. I'm not sure I'll get there. I have to guard the homefront from rampaging ghosts.

Tim Reynolds

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, I did not see that one.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did it flap its wings?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yep, sure did, like some do their jaws.

14. iq4truth

iq4truth New Member

15. iq4truth

iq4truth New Member

Spells page directs to the truth

Since the Nov 5 post, 8 people have visited the new Spells page from search engine searches. It's a "sticky page" for people, mostly teens, who are into or are getting into the Occult, to lead them to the truth. The Spells page has only been picked up by Yahoo and AltaVista so far, just a few days ago. When Google picks it up, I expect dozens of hits/day. Currently, most visits are from people searching on "vampire spells" on Yahoo. Wicca is being marketed as "Christian" more and more. Just Google the terms "wicca" and "Christian" together, and you'll be floored. Include "teen" to see how kids are being indoctrinated. No joke!

Spells page:
    http://fp.users.fast.net/infoquest/spells.htm