1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The 10 Best Evidences from Science that Confirm a Young Earth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Dec 4, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

That's basically my point. We know God didn't create Adam as a baby. So there was some apparent age. It's not a stretch to think He did it in other areas.

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen brother!:wavey: That said think of this....Isaiah 40:22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He "stretches" out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

#23 Jedi Knight, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 KJV

Is the devil a created being? Created when? Are the works of the devil, time dependent? From when?

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5
    Acts 26:18 KJV To open their eyes, to turn, from darkness to light, and the power of Satan (the death) unto God, (who is light) that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Genesis 1:2-5 NKJV The earth was without form, and void; and darkness on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the (good) light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

How long had the power of darkness (Acts 26:18) been operating on the face of the deep of Gen 1:2 ?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that many Christians accept as "truth" the lie of Evolution and really old Age Universe/earth, and neither of that can be reconciled with the Biblical account in Genesis, assuming tyhat you take it in a literal fashion!

It does NOT define salvation, as one can by mistake hold to those things, but would be holding them against what the bible actually teaches!

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

#26 OldRegular, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  7. OldRegular

There was no such thing as "the power of darkness" in or during creation! Yes Satan is a created being!

8. quantumfaith

Actually, I like to describe physics as math on steroids....or perhaps "meth" ( in the case of quantum physics)

#28 quantumfaith, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  9. OldRegular

Einstein supposedly did not like quantum physics either. He is reported to have said: "God doesn't roll dice"!

10. quantumfaith

That is true, he also was once an adherent to the steady-state universe theory, but he later changed his views on both. (in the face of mounting evidence)

11. OldRegular

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Was Adam created for the purpose of the Son of God being manifested? Was Adam created in order for the Word to be made flesh and dwell among them which were created?

What were the works of the devil, that required Adam to be created so that Jesus Anointed could come in Adam's figure? Flesh and blood.

According to Hebrews 2:14, why flesh and blood? Why did the sinless Son of God partake of flesh and blood that the children inherited from their father Adam?

Why did God call the light good and divide the good light from the darkness that was present on the earth in verse 2 of Genesis 1?

In the Word of God, is Satan represented by darkness, and God represented by light as in Acts 26:18? How about John 11:9,10 day and night as in Genesis 1:5? What is the day and night in verse 5? Is it relative to the sun?
    Is it relative to good light and darkness of this world?

13. quantumfaith

u

OR, that is a great article, and from my perspective and position much of it is spot on.. In fact, I routinely every semester challenge my students to "think" about numbers and mathematics in this philosophical manner. Unfortunately, most are not intellectually ready for such considerations.

The author, I think, takes some steps that I would not be confident that he has unquestionably established:

Laws of mathematics are discovered by people and written down by people. But they were not created by people. As discussed above, laws of mathematics do not change with time. Therefore, they existed before people existed. So they obviously cannot be a creation of man. The equation 2+3=5 was true long before any human being thought about it, realized it, or wrote it

"I think" it is much more accurate to say that mathematics is a language creation of human kind to express quantities and abstract concepts in an efficient and concise manner. The desire to measure and name these metrics may be the more philosophical aspect.

I disagree that mathematics does not "evolve". Our knowledge, experience application and problem solving required we humans to develop newer and different mathematics to describe the created natural world. Quantum physics and mathematics is a great example of this.

Speculating that mathematics has always existed and is an inherent property of God is quite interesting but I think we would both agree that in a way God has no need for mathematics since He has demonstrated the ability to create ex nihlio.

14. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know folks here are not actually interested in the scientific evidence but these 10 Best Evidences are old recycled arguments that have been debunked.

I have no problems with fellow Christians believing in a young earth based on their interpretation of Genesis and it very well may be the correct interpretation. But I can't support bad "science" made to mislead unsuspecting people from the truth of God's general revelation.

If this list is the 10 best, I'm really not interested in seeing the rest of the evidence presented by Answers in Genesis. ( rebuttals to many Creationist arguments)

Link The thickness of sediment in the oceans varies, and it is consistent with the age of the ocean floor. The thickness is zero at the mid-Atlantic Ridge, where new ocean crust is forming, and there is about 150 million years' worth of sediment at the continental margins. The average age of the ocean floor is younger than the earth due to subduction at some plate margins and formation of new crust at others.

Link Rocks do fold without breaking when bent very slowly under pressure. Laboratory experiments demonstrate as much (e.g., Friedman et al. 1980). Increased temperature can also increase the flow rate.

Link The reports of the soft tissue, though remarkable, have been sensationalized further. The tissues were not soft and pliable originally. The tissues were rehydrated in the process of removing the surrounding mineral components of the bone (Schweitzer et al. 2005). Moreover, it is unknown whether the soft tissues are original tissues. Fossil flexible tissues and nucleated cells have been found before in which the original material was not preserved (Stokstad 2005).

Link The change in luminosity is not as drastic as it sounds. Much of the change would have occurred before the origin of life; the luminosity increase since the origin of life is about 25 percent. And this translates to a 7 percent increase in temperature when the earth's heat outflow is taken into account.

Link The earth's magnetic field is known to have varied in intensity (Gee et al. 2000) and reversed in polarity numerous times in the earth's history. This is entirely consistent with conventional models (Glatzmaier and Roberts 1995) and geophysical evidence (Song and Richards 1996) of the earth's interior. Measurements of magnetic field field direction and intensity show little or no change between 1590 and 1840; the variation in the magnetic field is relatively recent, probably indicating that the field's polarity is reversing again (Gubbins et al. 2006).

Link Subsurface pressure and temperature conditions affect how quickly the helium diffuses out of zircons. D. R. Humphreys et al. selected a rock core sample from the Fenton Hill site, which Los Alamos National Laboratory evaluated in the 1970s for geothermal energy production. The area is within a few kilometers of the Valles Caldera, which has gone through several periods of faulting and volcanism. The rocks of the Fenton Hill core have been fractured, brecciated, and intruded by hydrothermal veins. Excess helium is present in the rocks of the Valles Caldera (Goff and Gardner 1994). The helium may have contaminated the gneiss that Humphreys et al. studied. In short, the entire region has had a very complex thermal history. Based on oil industry experience, it is essentially impossible to make accurate statements about the helium-diffusion history of such a system.

Link Any tool will give bad results when misused. Radiocarbon dating has some known limitations. Any measurement that exceeds these limitations will probably be invalid. In particular, radiocarbon dating works to find ages as old as 50,000 years but not much older. Using it to date older items will give bad results. Samples can be contaminated with younger or older carbon, again invalidating the results. Because of excess 12C released into the atmosphere from the Industrial Revolution and excess 14C produced by atmospheric nuclear testing during the 1950s, materials less than 150 years old cannot be dated with radiocarbon (Faure 1998, 294).

Link The comets that entered the inner solar system a very long time ago indeed have evaporated. However, new comets enter the inner solar system from time to time. The Oort Cloud and Kuiper Belt hold many comets deep in space, beyond the orbit of Neptune, where they do not evaporate. Occasionally, gravitational perturbations from other comets bump one of them into a highly elliptical orbit, which causes it to near the sun.

Link As of June 2000, more than 250 objects in the Kuiper Belt have been observed directly (Buie 2000), and it alone can be the source of short-term comets.
    The Oort cloud has not been observed directly (although Sedna, a planetoid discovered in March 2004, might be in the Oort cloud), but its presence is well supported based on observations of long-period comets.

Link The numbers in the table are residence times, or the average time that a small amount of an element stays in the sea water before being removed. They are not times that it takes the element to accumulate, and individual atoms may stay much briefer or longer than those times. Elements in the ocean are in approximate equilibrium between sources adding them and mechanisms removing them.

A detailed analysis of sodium, for example, shows that, within measurement error, the amount of sodium added matches the amount removed.

Link Answers in Genesis deal with this one in its own article. It was likely a contaminant.

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being, from before the foundation of the world, it was foreknown by God, the coming need for redemption; Was the first man, Adam created for the purpose of, The Word, to be made flesh?

What would, the man to be created, need to be redeemed from?

What about, the man to be created, would need redemption?

Was there something and or someone that existed before the man was created that would cause the man to need to be redeemed? Who had the power of what, that the man, to be created, would need redemption from?

Was it the darkness that was upon the face of the deep that God was going to deal with, when God said, "Let there be Light" and begin to lay the foundation of the world?

The world (Kosmos) being a system of order upon the earth, which was without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep thereof?

How old was the earth when God laid the foundation of the world?

In Genesis 1:5 it is stated there was a day consisted of an evening and a morning. This before the Son, moon and stars were established to: V14 the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And to: V15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

What was that day of Genesis 1:5? How long was it? I say it was the same, evening and morning, of night and day, spoken of in John 11:9,10 consisting of twelve hours of each, yet had nothing to do with the sun.

Why according to Genesis does, man created, for the Son of Man, the Son of God, to come in the flesh need to be the same age as the earth, to rectify the death that would come to the man?

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hope he doesn't drive a car, use indoor plumbing, medicine, technology, telephones, breathe or anything like that. It's all science!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The biggest driving force for me to believe in creation rather than evolution is this:

Evolution: sin is God's fault

Creation: sin is man's fault

In evolution, sin is God's fault because He created death and we know that scripture tells us that death entered through sin. If creatures were dying before man was on the earth, then God created death and sin.

In creation, we see just how death and sin entered the world - through one man.

Additionally, we know that death entered through one man and life has entered through one man as well. If the first is not true, what does that say about Jesus redeeming us?

18. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What does Heb 2:14 mean when it states that the devil has the power of,
    the death.

Where did the power of the death come from that the devil has? How did an angel, that we will be like, when we can not die anymore, Luke 20:28 "Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels;" acquire that power?

Was the devil a sinner before the first man Adam was created subject to the death that the devil had the power there of?

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

Was the first man, Adam created flesh and blood, carnal, sold under sin, that brings the death, the power of the devil, so that, that power and thus it's source the devil could be destroyed, redeeming that which had been sold?

And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

After that, in bold, takes place will the man be, flesh and blood, carnal?

Will he be subject to sin and the death anymore?

Who came into existence first? The devil, Satan or man? Who sinned first ? The devil, Satan or man? The devil had the power of the death yet could not die. What about the man created? Was he created subject to the death?

To believe in an old earth does not mean to believe in evolution. It means one believes, the devil, the original sinner had brought death to some kind of life form whether plant or animal or both to an old earth and God at the foundation of the world Gen 1:3 fol., goes about rectifying that destruction brought about by the devil who had the power of death.

I believe Adam and his children, the partakers of flesh and blood, have been around about six thousand years or a little more.

I believe Jesus the Son of the living God came in the flesh and blood, of Adam, to rectify the works of the devil done before and after Adam was created.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. Gen 1:2 That is a dead earth, because of the darkness, Satan who had brought death to it. See my other post concerning darkness and light, day and night.

I do not have this chiseled in stone but show me where I am wrong for I believe it to be according to the word of God.

And please let's discuss this and not be dogmatic. That is my understanding of scripture especially concerning redemption.

Consider: But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. ----
    How? Because all are carnal, sold under sin. ----- It is how the creator, God, created, the creation, including man. ---Romans 8:20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope;

It was done so to destroy the devil who had the power of death, therefore destroying death. Leaving the promise of God, the hope of eternal life, bodily. Rom 8:20,23 Titus 3:2 ect.

19. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sigh.

We have bought a lie straight from the devil that you cannot accept both true science and the Bible.

I'm oilfield born, raised, and all my life. Now I live in an energy area of gas and coal.

Time was we used the science of geology, which energy workers really have a handle on, to lead them to accept the truth of the Bible and then from there to come to faith in Christ.

Now we tell them to park their brains at the door, and if they cannot accept the idea of tossing all the science they know they just cannot be saved?

Hogwash! While I personally am gap theory and recommend studying it through the Old Scofield, Old Pilgrim Edition, and the much newer Nelson's NKJV study Bible, I also tell them some hold to the day age theory and some believe young earth created with the manifestations of old earth. They know enough science to be able to accept that, leave it there, and focus on what really counts--salvation in Jesus. I don't hand them Ken Ham, but rather Hugh Ross.

What follows is my opinion: God would never put such a stumbling block in front of people making it impossible for them to come to faith. By cherry picking verses we could prove all three theories. By cherry picking science we could prove all three theories.

But by focusing on this minutia we fail to keep the main thing the main thing--the evangelizing of the lost. And Satan dances in glee, I believe, when we spend our time debating the age of the earth, the length of women's hair (and men's), skirts vs pants for women, how the second coming will play out, etc.

We keep tightening the circle of who WE accept as "in" or "out", and don't see that we are just like the Pharisees, making it harder for anyone to enter into salvation.

May God help us.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No we don't. People can chew gum and walk at the same time.