1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The 4th Commandment Sabbath WAS change but not in the Bible

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jul 16, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The "underlined portion" was taken directly from Exodus 31. Israel was to keep the Sabbath. If they didn't they would be stoned. It had nothing to do with the Kingdom. It was a sign of the covenant between Jehovah and Israel and their generations forever. It has nothing to do with us.

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
    14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    And what has that got to do with the Sabbath?
    That is not what that verse says.
    It says that the "Sabbath is for mankind."
    In Psalms 8 it also says that all of creation "is for mankind."
    Man is to have dominion over creation.
    But that doesn't have anything to do with worship. Neither does Mark. 2:27, obviously. Jesus was teaching that man is not a slave to the sabbath; rather that the sabbath was made FOR mankind just like creation was made FOR mankind, that is, for his enjoyment.
    We aren't the nation of Israel. The sabbath was given to the nation of Israel, and that was part of their civil law. Those dwelling within the walls of the nation of Israel had to keep the Sabbath as well.
    Those visiting America must keep American law as well.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Obviously that is a civil penalty and is applicable only under a theocracy.

We see this spelled out for us in the case of Christ and the woman caught in adultery. Israel in captivity to the Romans could not enforce their own civil laws - but that did not mean that adultery "was just fine" since the civil laws of that theocracy could not be executed.

I thought we all got that point - easily.

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind" it was not "made just for Jews" nor does the text say "only Jews are mankind" nor "mankind only consists of Jews".

Indeed all of the "no - I really mean - just Jews" language is not there at all.

Even in Isaiah 66 from Sabbath to Sabbath "shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" -- nothing there about "and by mankind I mean - just Jews".

here again I think we can all see this point.

The Sabbath "was MADE" in Gen 2:3 "FOR mankind" - it is a blessing for mankind that comes from Genesis 2 - just as Marriage is a blessing for mankind - that comes from Genesis 2.

Even so - adultery is wrong and Sabbath breaking is wrong.

Here again - I think is simple obvious point that all can grasp.

It is no wonder then that so many - non-SDA groups, documents, sources DO grasp this obvious point found in the Bible as listed in the texts above. But SDAs cannot take all the credit for this - after all it is the Seventh-day Baptists that first brought this to our attention.

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But getting back to the OP - a number of even non-SDA documents and groups claim there was a change attempted for the Sabbath commandment after the cross.

SDAs reject that change in the Law of God on the basis of Christ's statement in Mark 7:6-13 that man-made traditions cannot overrule/edit/downsize/modify "The Commandment of God".

I think Seventh-day Baptists also agree with us in that regard. Admitting to the fact that the attempt was made to change that commandment - but rejecting the idea that God's own Law is up "for edit" by man.

On the other hand - a number of the source documents, and groups, and well known Christian leaders mentioned on page 1 of this thread - do claim that the change was valid - that God's Law is now bent to point to "Week day 1" instead of the "seventh-day of the week".

How sad.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham kept the Torah, Hukotai, Mitsvah
    (Law, Statutes, Commandments)
    Gen 26:5

Change of Day of Worship was done by
    Idol Worshippers, not by Apostles.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gen 2:3 alone provides the moral authority and binding nature for THE seventh day Sabbath as we see in very language of Ex 20:11 and Gen 2:1-3.

There was see that day- MADE holy, sanctified, blessed.

In Mark 2:27 the day is "MADE for mankind" when MADE - in Gen 2:3.

Ex 20
    11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

Gen 2:3
    Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

No wonder the lights come on at that point for Seventh-day Baptists, Seventh-day Adventists, and even well known historic documents such as the Westminster Confession of Faith, the "Baptist Confession of Faith", the Catechism and those who study them - such as Moody, Spurgeon, Sproul, Stanley and others.

But here is the clincher - instead of God saying to Adam in Gen 1 or 2 "hey you were just created yesterday - now work for 5 more days then keep the 7th day as a Sabbath" we have the very NEXT day as Sabbath.

That blows away the "just a 7th day after 6 days of work" water-down that is attempted. Rather it is the very NEXT day after they are created that is Sabbath. Not 7 days later. For Adam this is the SECOND day of the week. But for Creation on earth it is the SEVENTH day.

God's command is to keep the CREATION Sabbath - not "man's Sabbath" by man's counting or tradition.

in Christ,

Bob

#46 BobRyan, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Preach it! - :godisgood:

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

State you foolishness all you won't; it won't change the facts.
    Every time the Sabbath is mentioned it is directed to the Jews. Even in Mark, Jesus was surrounded by Jews. Also in Mark there is no command to keep it. There is a principle being taught: Man is not a slave to the sabbath (as the Pharisees taught) but rather the sabbath was FOR man, that is for man to enjoy, not for man to be a slave to.
    Yea, just like EGW's comment that the sign of the "mark of the beast" is for all mankind (non-SDA of course).
    No, Isaiah 66 refers only to the Millennial Kingdom after Christ has set up his kingdom and is ruling from the throne of David. Then all mankind will come and worship him, and only then. That does not happen now, does it? We all see that.
    Which point do you think all can see?
    There is no command to keep the sabbath in Genesis 2:3. The word sabbath is not even mentioned. The only principle one can exegete from that passage is that mankind should rest one day out of seven, just as the Lord rested on the seventh day. There is no sabbath in the first two chapters of Genesis.
    Certainly it is wrong. But it was not commanded in Genesis two was it? One must wait until the command is given. You cannot squeeze everything into the first two chapters of Genesis. That is why we have 66 books in our Bible.

Why mention the Seventh Baptists. They are considered a sect, perhaps even a cult among Baptists. They number 50,000 worldwide, hardly significant considering that the number of Baptists worldwide are 150,000,000, and just in the SBC alone there are 16,000,000. In the light of those numbers the 7th Day Baptists are not worth mentioning.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Day_Baptist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptists

Therefore, in reality those who worship on Saturday are rather a very insignificant bunch compared to the rest of the world if you want true comparisons. The rest of the Christian world wide and history itself gives a resounding NO to their theology as does the Bible.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by DHK [​IMG]
    It says that the "Sabbath is for mankind."
    In Psalms 8 it also says that all of creation "is for mankind."
    Man is to have dominion over creation.

[/quote]

Apparently all those groups listed above - include the "Baptist Confession of Faith", R.C. Sproul, D.L Moody, Seventh-day Baptists DO accept the Gen 2:3 and Mark 2:27 fact of the Sabbath "made for MANKIND".

Even you had a hard time directly contradicting the text in your quote above at the top of this post.

We both know that you cannot blame what all those non-SDA groups see IN the Bible IN the texts that even you were not able to bend away from their reference to "MANKIND" -- on Ellen White.

I think we can all see that by now.

Comes in handy when someone wants to try and spin the Gen 2:3, Ex 20:11, Mark 2:27, Isaiah 66:23 points about "ALL MANKIND" back to the idea that only those who read Ellen White would notice.

Is this some sort of "name calling will solve my problem here" solution?

If so - I am not buying it.

Didn't you say earlier that IFB's will not share communion with SBCs?

In that case what matter does it make what names IFB's call other Baptists - including Seventh-day Baptists?

By that standard - the Seventh-day Adventist church is larger than all of the groups you listed combined. You will notice that we don't say of the other groups "they are not worth mentioning" just because both of them combined are smaller than we are.

How large is the IFB compared to SBC? Would you argue they are not worth mentioning if they do not reach some certain number?

Certainly the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox make the SBC, IBC and SDAs all dwarf into "insignificance" by your numbers game.

Surely this is not your intent.

I myself do not pay that game.

in Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The New Heavens and New Earth mentioned in Isaiah 66:23 is AFTER the Millennium according to Rev 21:1-4.

I think we both know that.

And that means you and I will be keeping Sabbath for all of eternity - despite your strong objections to it now. Expect an "I told you so" from me.

in Christ,

Bob

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I number one person in the world a Christian one of a kind all by myself. DHK, you, number one person in the world a Christian one of a kind all by yourself. Because no one else believes the same as I do. And no one else believes the same as you do, DHK.

It will be a sad, sad day that Christ saves or judges anyone by the standards or numbers of others. What 150 million or 50 thousand Baptists judge one another or others than they for, [edited--God does not curse] "GOD KNOWS WHO ARE HIS."

Just so, that 150 million or 50 thousand Baptists worship Sundays or Saturdays,
    [edited--God does not curse] But "GOD THUS CONCERNING THE SEVENTH DAY SPAKE ... BY THE SON ... AND GOD, THE DAY THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL, HIS, WORKS, RESTED. ... FOR IF JESUS GAVE THEM REST … THEREFORE REMAINS FOR GOD'S PEOPLE OBSERVANCE OF SABBATH DAYS-REST."

For God except for what IS WRITTEN
    [edited--God does not curse] for the traditions and “bondage and slavery of the weak and beggarly first principles-no-gods OF THE WORLD the superstitious veneration of days", "CHIEF" AND "QUEEN of [which] days, is the lord Sun's-day."

Sunday worshipping is idolatry. That is what the Bible says.

And true Sabbath's Feast of Christ Assemblies, is no longer the Jews' Sabbath Day or the Sabbath or the Sabbath Day, of the Fourth Commandment, but Sabbath's Feast of Christ Assemblies is to "remember the Sabbath Day ... because GOD IN IT ... THROUGH JESUS CHRIST, RESTED ... FOR THE LORD HAVING RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY REVIVED."

Check it up in Matthew 28:1 if God lied.

Only beware not to read men's CLEVER LIES they instead invented in that text.

[Post in grace; avoid profanity; it is unacceptable on this board].

#51 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't argue that Bob. It is a different dispensation, much like the Tribulation is a different time period where you claim different things will be happening to us.
    Just before the Kingdom Christ comes FOR the Jews.
    At that time ALL Jews will be saved.
    He rules from Jerusalem. Essentially it will be a Jewish Kingdom where he will sit on David's Throne. It will be the Kingdom that He offered the Jews when he came the first time, but they rejected it. He is coming as their Messiah. All mankind will keep the Sabbath--THEN, but not now. However it still remains a Jewish sign of their covenant.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

What is wrong with my eyes that they only can read in Exodus 31:17 that GOD, RESTING, REVIVED" and "REVIVING, RESTED" ---"THE LORD" to be precise. In other words, none other than JESUS CHRIST AND GOD THE FATHER THROUGH JESUS CHRIST "in full fellowship of the TRINITY" and therefore "the Son of God with POWER according to the SPIRIT OF HOLINESS by the RESURRECTION from the dead”?!

“… by the RESURRECTION from the dead declared / revealed / made known / announced… THE SON OF GOD … THE GLORY OF THE INCORRUPTIBLE GOD.”
    “For the invisible things of God are from the creation of the world clearly seen [in the SON] being understood by the things that are made, even His [the Son’s] Eternal Power and Godhead.”

If you haven’t seen Jesus Christ in Genesis 1 to 3 yet, you have yet seen nothing in it.
    If not Jesus is the Blessing to the Sabbath;
    if not He already then was that which the Sabbath was “sanctified” / “set apart” for;
    if not Christ and Christ in his Resurrection from the dead on the Sabbath Day were God’s “FINISHING on the Sabbath Day as well as the LORD’S “REST on the Sabbath Day”, there in the beginning was no Sabbath Day nor Seventh Day on which God “finished ALL, HIS, WORKS IN THAT GOD RESTED”.

But DHK keeps on saying
    >>Israel was to keep the Sabbath.<<
    GOD kept it! Never mind man! What Israel!!

But DHK keeps on saying
    >>If they didn't they would be stoned.<<
    But if not GOD was to keep the Sabbath we men would be lost!

But DHK keeps on saying
    >>It had nothing to do with the Kingdom.<<
    While it had to do with nothing else than the Kingdom!

But DHK keeps on saying
    >>It was a sign of the covenant between Jehovah and Israel and their generations forever. It has nothing to do with us.<<
    Then speak for yourself DHK, and count me out of your ‘us’! For the Sabbath Day of the LORD GOD as it has to do with its LORD GOD Maker and Keeper, was covenanted with His Kingdom and its subjects.

I claim myself a subject of the Kingdom of God, DHK. You can’t do a thing about it!

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

DHK, since when does your 'eschatology' date?

It certainly was completely unknown to the Reformers!

It was completely unknown before the Reformation!

It was completely unknown back until to Christ Himself and before Him.

No, it's just unacceptable in these last days. The Son of Man never spoke such maths. Never.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You reference Exodus 31:17. And then you say it speaks of God "resting, revived, and revived, rested."
    First, where does it indicate that the all-powerful almighty God need to be rested and revived, and then revived and rested?
    Are you sure you have the right God?

Secondly, are you sure you have the right reference?
    Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
    --Note: It is a sign between Jehovah and the children of Israel forever.
    What tribe are you from?
    Are you a Jew? The Sabbath is not for you; it is for the nation of Israel, just as it says in the very verse that you referenced.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't give account to you or to man.
    I give account to God.
    I believe God accepts my eschatology, and that is all that counts.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It does not say in Isaiah 66 all men will come to worship before God on the Sabbath. It says "all FLESH" ---that is, all SURVIVORS at the return of Jesus ONCE FOR ALL AND EVER.

The survivors will be the saved or saints ---all living, "flesh".

Why and how, will they come "on the Sabbath"?

Because the resurrection will be on the Sabbath : JUST LIKE JESUS' OWN!

And the resurrection will happen by the POWER of Christ's appearance, just like the "angel of the Lord with the brightness of his appearing struck down the guards like dead and cast the stone from the grave". Of course, "Christ was raised by the GLORY OF THE FATHER" and not by the angel of the Lord. That's why he sat on the stone and did nothing more than wait on his Lord's further orders so to speak.

Point is, Christ rose from the dead "In the Sabbath's-Day" which is all the reason and the only reason why the general resurrection will also be on the Sabbath's-Day "God thus concerning spake, and God the day The Seventh Day from all his works rested."

So Christ comes on the Sabbath Day and the dead rise from the grave on the Sabbath Day. By the glory of his appearance the wicked are struck - this time - really, DEAD!
    While by the glory of Christ's appearance like lightning from the east to the west all the 'sleeping' saints RISE from the dead and "after [per precedent set] his [Jesus'] resurrection come out of their graves" Matthew 27:53 "and they shall go forth and look on the carcases of the men that transgressed."

THEN ONLY "... from one Sabbath to another ..." Sabbath-keeping by the SAVED will keep on forever on the New Earth.

THIS earth AFTER Christ's Return, FOREVERMORE.

"NOT TO DEAL WITH SIN AGAIN..." says Hebrews somewhere....

"God shall not again speak of another day after these things [wherein] JESUS GAVE THEM REST / SALVATION." Hebrews 4:8b.

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I told you before, I am of the tribe of Jesus of the tribe of Judah.

So by the way, Who is "your God"?!

Yes, like this you and I will be going on until the day of his Coming overfalls us. (...my English?) In any case until that Sabbath Day of his Coming shall overfall us. The Sabbath Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD YOUR GOD" IT SHALL BE. Hah, not a nice thought for DHK I guess.

But the Sabbath Day it will be.

First, because Christ rose from the dead "In the Sabbath Day";
    Next, because Isaiah 66 agrees;
    Third, because Jesus said He will come on the "last day" which there is only one of, "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD".
    Fourth, because the day of his Coming will be a day of judgment ---which there is only one day that is a day of judgment: the day which God gave as a sign to judge by, A, if the LORD is LORD or not of one; and B, if one is of the LORD’S or not. The sign will be sign. The Sabbath is the sign. The Sabbath is judgment day. Is it already; has always been; will be more than ever before in future. Wait and see. Only problem is, one day may be too late.

The LORD, what will He do? What will He say? His Word says, “The LORD shall LAUGH”!

And while he laughs, God is going to EXTERMINATE SUNDAY AND SUNDAY WORSHIP. I do NOT say God is going to exterminate the poor Christians who were deceived with it. “God knows who are His!”
    But just as surely God knows what or who does not belong to Him!

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you have documentation that you can trace your ancestry back to at least David, as Mary and Joseph did?
    He arose the first day of the week, which is not the sabbath.
    This scripture has nothing to do with us at this time. It is irrelevant.
    Jesus said he will come as "a thief in the night" when we least expect him to come.
    He also said: No man knows the day or the hour thereof.
    By saying he will come on the Sabbath you contradict the words of Christ himself.
    It is a sign of a covenant made between Jehovah and Israel and her generations forever.
    You are not included in that sign. It was not for you.
    The only judgment is that described in Exodus 31, and it is given to the Jews. If they would not keep the sabbath they would be taken out and stoned.
    That has nothing to do with the sabbath.
    What you write is not in Scripture. You don't have a single verse to back up this imaginary story of yours. Dream on.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus said the Sabbath was "MADE for mankind" Mark 2:27 not "just Jews".

And you admit that Is 66:23 predicts an eternity where from Sabbath to Sabbath "ALL MANKIND comes before Me to worship" in the New Earth of Isaiah 66:23 and Rev 21.

And Isaiah 56 speaks specifically of gentiles who were keeping the Sabbath in Isaiah's day - (As we also see in the NT in Acts 13, Acts 17, Acts 18...).

In addition the Sabbath is also given as a sign to God's people - whether they be the gentiles of Isaiah 66 or the Jews of Exodus 20.

Your insistence that the Bible never applies the Sabbath to gentiles is in spite of these texts - not because of them.

The four points of the Sabbath doctrine.

1. Made for mankind in Gen 2:1-3, According to Mark 2:27 and Exodus 20:11.
    2. Applicable to all mankind even for eternity in the future - Is 66:23.
    3. Kept by gentiles in both OT (Isaiah 56) and NT (Acts 13, 17, 18)
    4. Still binding on the saints today (James 2 - Heb 4 there remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God)
    5. Cannot be "bent" to point to "week-day-1" by the traditions of man - Mark 7:6-13.

DHK you object to the first 4 but may well accept point 5.

The many other non-SDA sources, groups, documents I have listed here accept the first 4 and reject point 5.

I accept all 5 - as do the Seventh-day Baptists and others.

This is irrefutable.

in Christ,

Bob

#60 BobRyan, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013