1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured the age of the earth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Jan 2, 2015.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Apparently Moses, during his years as an Egyptian prince, did not learn much from the Egyptians or the Aliens coming down and building all them pyramids!

Exodus 29:9-11
    9. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    11. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

3. OldRegular

Very worthwhile reading!

4. OldRegular

It does take a vivid imagination to derive the age of the earth as 4.6 billion years from the Biblical data. And notice the accuracy of the number; not 4+ billion or about 5 billion but 4,600,000,000 years!:thumbs::thumbs:

quantum does a little better. The mathematician in him I suppose!

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Don't think "time" really matters to God...do you? :)

#25 quantumfaith, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  6. OldRegular

A good reason not to assign time to His creative activity other than that revealed in Scripture!

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on!!!!

8. quantumfaith

Are you saying that scientific investigation and hence progress is an unworthy pursuit......or rather just the science that you do not like, agree with or find problematic? (BTW I think I know your answer...)

9. OldRegular

Scientific investigation is wonderful. However, engineering is better. Without engineers the scientists would have no tools to work with. Who made the first wheel and the first lever? And it wasn't the cave man either though some scientist might say he has indelible proof!

#29 OldRegular, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  10. quantumfaith

I appreciate your humor. There is no evidence that Neanderthal or even Cro-Magnon had any thoughts of the wheel but they were both tool makers. Cro-Magnon quite a bit more sophisticated.

Without mathematicians, neither the scientists nor the engineers would have the tools to ply their trade. :)

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes a difference. It effects the gospel, it effects what other scripture says. It makes a big difference.

12. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have really allowed evolution to define your world view and are seriously misled. Have you ever read anything Christian about Neanderthals or Cro-Magnons? And if so, what? I mean like Anything from the ICR or Answers in Genesis?

Thanks in advance

Romans 5:1

Also, at the risk of becoming divisive, I find it interesting that the Mods are willing to accept your view, given what I know about fundamentalism (I am not one), but to not allow civil discussions about human sexuality and its abuses. Sorry, but I just do not understand why human sexuality is not discussed on a supposed Christian website-but I am ok with it. I would think that it would be very Christian to discuss human sexuality in a biblical context here

Grace again

#32 Marooncat79, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  13. OldRegular

Keep patting yourself on your back and see what happens.

As for Neanderthal or even Cro-Magnon they exist only in the imagination of someone who likes to dig in the dirt!

14. OldRegular

I disagree strongly with quantumfaith on the issue of the age, not only the earth, but the age of the universe and his views on evolution. I believe the Bible teaches not only a young earth but a young universe. That being said as far as I can tell the Bible nowhere condemns those who hold the views of QF. I believe it gives instruction but not condemnation.

However, the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, strongly condemns deviant sexual behavior including fornication and adultery so there is really no room for discussion. Similarly the Bible condemns atheism and there is no reason to have an atheist posting on this Baptist Board. Is there?

15. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, strongly condemns deviant sexual behavior including fornication and adultery so there is really no room for discussion. Similarly the Bible condemns atheism and there is no reason to have an atheist posting on this Baptist Board. Is there?

Your point is well stated and made, but I think that the church should be willing to address these issues upfront. I am not meaning to bash the board for their stance here--just wondering why it is not allowed at all.

We should all be in agreement here I would think

16. quantumfaith

Why would you respond with such...."keep patting yourself on the back"

Do I misread your congeniality?

17. quantumfaith

Maroon. I wish to call you out. Are you claiming that I am a an atheist? Say so if that is what you think.

18. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that you have a VERY UNBIBLICAL view of God, the creation ordinance, the creation of man, and the Bible in general if you truly believe what I think that you believe.

I may be misunderstanding you though?

19. quantumfaith

Yes I disagree with your views on YEC etc. But I am as much a theist and believer redeemed by Christ as you yourself. I REALLY think you should backtrack on the naming me as an atheist.

20. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked back and do not see where I called you an atheist, but you have definitely come under the influence of a false system of belief

I mean really, believers from the beginning have always understood the earth to be about 6000 yrs .old or so. The "age of enlightenment" changed all of that and I am afraid that you have come under its influence.

Grace and peace

Romans 6:23