1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The American Patriot Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by preachinjesus, Jun 1, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, maybe you're not familiar with this little text but there is a growing thunderhead of controversy surrounding it. Here is what its description is from Thomas Nelson:

THE ONE BIBLE THAT SHOWS HOW 'A LIGHT FROM ABOVE' SHAPED OUR NATION. Never has a version of the Bible targeted the spiritual needs of those who love our country more than The American Patriot's Bible. This extremely unique Bible shows how the history of the United States connects the people and events of the Bible to our lives in a modern world. The story of the United States is wonderfully woven into the teachings of the Bible and includes a beautiful full-color family record section, memorable images from our nation's history and hundreds of enlightening articles which complement the New King James Version Bible text.

Check it out here: http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=1418541532

It is a study Bible that is edited by Dr. Richard Lee, pastor of First Redeemer Church outside of Atlanta.

A video is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB44hazSQQU
    Also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjHaNCre6do&feature=related

The controversy is growing and you can read some critiques from the following links:
    http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2009/05/book_review_the.html
    http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2009/05/book_review_the_1.html
    http://rdtwot.wordpress.com/2009/05/30/the-american-patriots-bible-review/
    http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/05/the-american-patriots-bible.html

A response from Dr. Lee is here:
    http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2009/05/the_publisher_p.html

I hope that is enough reading for ya :saint:

So my question to the assembly at BB:
    What say ye about this study Bible? What do you think?

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is the perfect bible for those that place country first and God second :)

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First I believe we should realize that T. Nelson is a publishing company and as a company profit is the driving motive, not truth.

I found the following paragraph from the review in Christianity Today interesting:

I bet the commentators do not mention:

.Slavery
    .The Cherokee Trail of Tears
    .Putting almost all American Japanese in detention camps in WW II
    .The broken treaties between the American government and the Native Americans

.Sweat shops in the Industrial Revolution
    .The bombing of strikers by the US government at the Battle Blair Mountain
    .The Battle of Wounded Knee
    .Chief Joseph and the Nez Percé

The US is a great country and has done many good and great things. But also there is some very dark issues in our history that have basically been swept under the rug.

#3 Crabtownboy, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

crabtown, very true.
    Basically, we have one of the best imperfect countries in history, run by depraved sinners.
    God's hand of restraint has certainly be on our country more than many other yet but it is just wrong to white wash all of the problems in that way.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The publishers should be embarrassed, but that ship has sailed since they already published it. Anyone who buys this bible thinking they are getting the full story needs to stop and ask forgiveness for idolatry.

6. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Interesting that this thread hasn't picked up as much steam as I imagined it would. Nevertheless, I agree with all the above posters and will add some.

I think this is not only an absolutely idolatrous text but is such an abomination it should be quickly removed from stores and bookshelves.

The whole thing is so ridiculous. It really has caused me to look around at the abundance of study Bibles we have produced and see how much we have "added" the the biblical text that I am pretty much moving away from advocating study Bibles for growing believers. I recommend a good study book with the Bible so that there is an intentional break between the page and the Scripture.

If you get a chance I recommend you at least look through the American Patriot's Bible if for no other reason than you can see and taste the silliness first hand.

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I think the Patriot's Bible misses the whole point. The Bible is about God and redemption, not nationalism.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Isn't this more of a novelty item and not a true study Bible?

9. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

It probably should be treated as a novelty but to my knowledge the editor and TN is pretty intent on saying this is a true study Bible.

10. Thermodynamics

I believe the United States in 2009 is a nation that would make Babylon, Rome or even Sodom blush. It cheapens God's Word to publish an edition like this and I would not even consider buying it.

The first books of the Bible were written c. 1440 BC, during those 3449 years nations have risen and fallen, if Jesus does not return soon the United States will fall as well. However, in every generation God's Word has stood, I place my faith in God not the United States.

On my last trip to the Christian book store I noticed some very silly editions of the Bible like:

-Sportsman's Bible (for hunters and fishermen)
    -Military Bible
    -Nurse's Bible

So I have some Bible ideas for the publishers:

-The Simpson's Study Bible
    -The Detroit Lion Fan's Bible (with the Book of Lamentations first)
    -The Smoker's Bible (with pocket for cigarette pack and lighter)
    -The EnviroBible (that biodegrades after you read it)

11. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I thought your fictions were very funny! (I just hope that the publishers don't actually use them.)

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

That Detroit thing! What a crack up. I'm laughing so hard I might pass out.

13. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

-The Detroit Lion Fan's Bible (with the Book of Lamentations first)

As a born and raised, eternally hopefully yet forever disappointed Detroit Lions fan.....I would buy this Bible, hoping for some kind of Divine message that the Lions were actually going to put together a semblance of a winning team. I thought this suggestion was great!

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I heard the Green Bay Packers have their own study Bible out now...

Vince Lombardi is used for Jesus Christ
    Reggie White is Paul
    Brett Favre is the anti-Christ

oh, and all references to Armageddon have been replaced with Monday October 5 in Minneapolis, MN when they will encounter the Vikings led by their former beloved hero...