1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The American Religious Identification Survey 2008,

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know you're asking Rev Mitchell, but Barna co-wrote a book called Pagan Christianity, (Jan 2008) which assails the practices of churches, and another book Revolution (Jan 2009). He sets forth his views in these books.

Review on Amazon of the first book mentioned above:
    There have been both praises and criticisms of this book.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think it's worse than putting their head in the sand. I think it's a softening of doctrine and sometimes hostility toward the idea of right doctrine.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Give verifiable documentation which suports the idea that shows Barna supports the house church movement.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you read his books. See post 21

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What you provided is just an opinionated review. It is no better than gossip. If you have ever done any research then you would know that proper documentation would suffice.

I have read a number of his books until the last few years and lived a few miles from he lives and never once heard such things as you suggest from anyone in the area.

The documentation you provided is much like someone commenting on the Bible and calling it the Bible.

Again provide some documentation not just the opinion of a second hand source.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes I am familiar with gossip.The kind you repeat which originates on Wade Burleson's blog. And what you may or may not have heard is not relevant nor is it evidence of any truth. How ever unless you have read something recent of his, specifically the ungodly condemnation of things like biblical church leadership, the preaching of the word of God, etc then you do not know one way or the other. Once you have done that come back. As has been noted you seem to make a habit of using anecdotes as evidence. Maybe you should try using some documentation once in a while your self.

#26 Revmitchell, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I gave you the opportunity to provide some documentation to support your "facts" and yet you have provided zero. Why? Is it too much to ask for the truth?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have a reading comprehension problem. It would do you well to actually read his books.

#28 Revmitchell, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could give provide documentation for your assertion about Barna?

It sounds like you have read all of Barna's books. However, I find it amazing that you make such claims about him and his position and are totally unable to provide any documentation to support your "facts". If you have read one of Barna's books that claims what you say he stands for then you could very easily quote from the book.

The fact is that you live clear across the U.S. from Barna and until recently I lived a few miles from him. You claim to be an expert on him and I have never heard such things you suggest from anyone or any church in the area.

Again I ask what evidence to you have to provide us that proves your suggestion about him?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While that is possible could provide the post number where you quoted from any of Barna's books to prove your point about his position?