1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Atonement of Christ: What did it REALLY Achieve ?4

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brightfame52, Jan 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So who decides if his interpretation of Scripture is correct or if yours is?

Once again, if you both are using the Scriptures to make your case, what does that say about the ability to resolve exegetical and doctrinal disagreements using Scripture alone?

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Campion,
    When there are multiple issues underlying different interpretations of the same texts. Someone on either side an argument needs identify the points of disagreement. Unfortunately this is not done.

3. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt there is any help at this stage for BF52 as far as changing his mind is concerned. However, Paul and the other apostles "contended" for the faith. Jude said it was needful to contend for it. Paul engaged in great contention in Acts 14. False teachers are to be marked and avoided. As long as false teachers are leading the simple astray in the name of truth there must needs be contention.

Hyper Calvinism is a powerful tool in the tool box of the adversary and it leads many astray. It matters what one teaches about God. His words must be believed and the context of those words must be honored. I am glad for men like Silverhair who knows this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JD731,
    When possible to help correct mistaken points of view. How best to deal with deal with disagreement.

5. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not interpretation, it is just reading what the text says. The real problem we run into is when people add in their own ideas to scripture.

6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    With patience, which I am lacking by times, and by pointing them back to scripture. It is only the word of God that will show a person the error in their thinking. We must remember that even those we disagree with are loved by God as His children.

7. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ's Healing Stripes ! 2

1 Pet 2:24-25

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Christ's stripes heals all those for whom He died, who took stripes in behalf of, with the healing results being their returning back to God, meaning their actual conversion to God in Faith and Repentance.

That's what Vs 25 tells us to be the effects of having Christ die for us. His stripes are responsible for our return to God. The word returned is the greek word verb epistrephó and means:

I turn (back) to (towards), (b) intrans: I turn (back) (to [towards]); I come to myself.

Its like the idea of the prodigal son when it reads of him Lk 15:17-18

17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18 I will arise and go[returning] to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

Also the word is used in the aroist indicative passive, which means e subject [person] is being returned or turned . Remember Jer 31:18

I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God.

That word turn and turned here is the Hebrew word shuwb and means:

to return, turn back

a) (Qal)

1) to turn back, return

a) to turn back

b) to return, come or go back

c) to return unto, go back, come back

d) of dying

e) of human relations (fig)

f) of spiritual relations (fig)

1) to turn back (from God), apostatise

2) to turn away (of God)

3) to turn back (to God), repent

4) turn back (from evil)

And that is what Christ's stripes/death effects for all whom He bare stripes in behalf of. It grants them conversion repentance to God. Each one of them during their life time will do as the prodigal did Lk 15:17-19

17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

You see the prodigal son had an application of healing upon him. This parable was to teach God's People the Love of the Father in bringing His gone astray children back to Himself by the Work of Christ on the Cross. The prodigal did not heal himself, neither do those Christ died for, they were healed by His Stripes, which is His Death.

8. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, A Saviour gives to His people He saves both repentance and forgiveness of sins. So people who never repent and who are never forgiven and die in their sins in unbelief, Christ was never their Saviour. He could not have died for them.

9. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you dont believe what Rom 5:18 says, because its not about an offer, its proclaiming the result of what Christ did, it effected Justification of life.

10. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    You fail to accept the testimony of the word that Christs death produced saving results.

11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep when they trust in Him He gives them repentance & forgiveness of sins or do you think that God saves those that do not trust in Him?

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still do not get it do you. The bible is not one liners as you seem to think. You, as a calvinist, take verses in isolation that you think will support your view. You do not see the offer of salvation in this verse? One man sinned, we die. One man was righteous and through Him we can live. So looks like an offer to me.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you actually read what I posted or do you just jump to conclusions as soon as you see the word condition. You really do have a struggle with scripture don't you.

14. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's clearly interpretation because you understand the passage to be something other than what the other poster's understanding is.

So again, if both of you are using the Scriptures to make your case, what does that say about the ability to resolve exegetical and doctrinal disagreements using Scripture alone?

15. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But if someone is reading the same text and has a completely (and sometimes direct opposite and contradictory) interpretation of another person, how do we know who is right and who is in error?

What does that say about the ability to resolve exegetical and doctrinal disagreements using Scripture alone?

16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an error to accept one as Christian who refuses the fundamentals of the faith whether it is to a greater or a lesser extent. Hyper Calvinists admits they do not believe the words of scripture as BF52 did in a post above when he stated there is no value in acknowledging ethnicity in the scriptures. Such an attitude can lead nowhere but to private interpretation.

The hyper Calvinists are wrong about why Our Lord Jesus came into the world and how sinners can be saved from the penalty of their sins, which is the second death in the lake of fire. The Hyper Calvinist teaching is that being born again is available to a certain class of sinners only and to ones who do not have the natural capacity to believe and choose. Their words express their unbelief every day.

Matthew 12:37
    For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. (See context)

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone puts a meaning onto a word that the word does not have it is not interpretation it is being disingenuous. Example
    Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

There is a certain group that insist that "world" really means "all the elect". They have to do this to fit their theology which is counter to the bible.

And again the exegetical and doctrinal disagreements would mostly disappear if we did not have some trying to add special understand to words and phrases in the bible. So it comes back to just reading the text of the bible as the Holy Spirit wanted it to be written.

18. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have to say that from my point of view all are children of God those that are saved I call the sons and daughters of God. While I strongly disagree with calvinism as I see it as an abuse of scripture, at the same time I can look at the calvinist and see that for the most part they truly want to know God.

Since none of us has a prefect understanding of God I think that we will all find that we were wrong on some points.

19. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again A Saviour gives repentance and forgiveness of sins, that is why He is a Saviour from sin!

20. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 5:18 is not a offer. Was condemnation a offer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.