1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The battle for souls

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bunyon, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I'm watching a discovery times show called "The Battle for Souls". The subtitle reads "The growth of conservative christianity and violent religious clashes". Sounds a little accusatory and biased to me, is anyone watching it? Check it out let me know what you think.

[ December 05, 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Bunyon ]

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll catch the rerun, probably.

3. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Great, If you can RSR, I would love to hear your take on it. I only caught a part of it and
    it was dealing alot with the growing christian movement in Africa and South America. It delt alot with the Africans who are sending missionaries around the world and even into muslim places they would not reveal for security's sake, and ironically, they are sending missionaries here also.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wasn't aware that conservative christianity was free from flaw.

Discovery has some great stuff. I probably won't be able to catch this, but hopefully can on a rerun.

5. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Where have you been Johnv? It seems like you have been missing for a while.

I am not aware of any flaws. LOL.

Of course it is not flowless, but the title does not sound like one that would head of an objective and fair report does it?

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I do have a life outside the board, ya know [​IMG] . Seriously though, I've been here, but due to time constraints, I must pick & choose what conversations to engage in.
    I didn't get that at all. The multifaceted Christian movement in the US is an interesting animal, and the clashes therein are interesting to observe. As far as fair & objective, it's the Discovery Channel, not the nightly news. TDC programming is documentarian in nature, not press. I admittedly didn't see the program, but I'm a frequent viewer of TDC, Hist, NatGeo, and TLC. When my wife isn't in the room, I put on HGTV, but let's keep that our little secret [​IMG]

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I didn't get that at all. The multifaceted Christian movement in the US is an interesting animal, and the clashes therein are interesting to observe. As far as fair & objective, it's the Discovery Channel, not the nightly news. TDC programming is documentarian in nature, not press. I admittedly didn't see the program, but I'm a frequent viewer of TDC, Hist, NatGeo, and TLC. When my wife isn't in the room, I put on HGTV, but let's keep that our little secret "-----------------------------------------------------

Well just as an aside, what do you think about the PBN programing. Do you have any concerns about it?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What's PBN? If you're referring to PBS, I typically enjoy PBS, and have been a subscriber. In fact, I believe they're showing a program this weekend called "America's Houses of Worship" or something like that, that looks at some of the architecture of churches in America, from our founding to present. I think it's on this saturday, and since I won't be home, I'm going to have to tape it.

9. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

S... I was thinking N for network. But really, overall, do you have any concerns about pbs programming.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not overtly, no. Some programming I don't particularly like, but most I do. I typically enjoy Nova and This Old House. I used to watch the occaisional Masterpiece Theater. I loved Sesame Street and Mr Rogers as a kid.

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I have notice an unblanced approach with lots of progay and left wing programs. Given that it is tax payor funded, I have a problem with that.

12. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Even Sesame street has a left wing bent now a days.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Check out what is happening among some Christians in certain parts of the US at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would hope Christians would be as narrow minded as God. There is no such thing as balance when it come to disobedience to God's word.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As far as I know, they only have one progay show, called "In the Life" which is on late night on the weekends, and fully funded privately (it's an insexpensive show to produce). In fact, most PBS stations have cancelled the show because of low ratings. One could argue, however, that public television is supposed to be a place where freedom of expression can flourish. In fact, that's what gay activists claim when they complain about PBS programming catering mostly to conservatives.
    It is hardly taxpayer funded. Tax dollars actually go to the CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting), which gets its funding from private donors, state and local entities, and federal agencies. PBS stations get less than 14% of their funding from the CPB (the CPB also funds NPR radio stations. The rest comes from from corporate donations and viewer donors like myself.
    I'm not a big watcher, but having nephews and nieces, I do watch it from time to time, and have never found any "left bent", or even a "right bent" for that matter.

16. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

GB, what is your point in the Wycopedia article? The folks it is describing, like the ones who want to form a theocracy are, in my opinion and experience, a minoirity fringe group. I think this would describe only a very small fraction of evangelical Bush voters.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

From yoru lips to God's ears. I hope and pray they're only a small minority. I suspect, though, that there is a much bigger percentage "in the closet", so to speak. Even in minority, the noise those squeaky wheels make is sufficient enough to get greased, and casting a bad light on mainline religious people (Christians and nonchristians alike) in the US. IMO, we must take a stand against this before it becomes an epidemic. But most Christians who attempt this are simply labeled "liberals" and dismissed by such.

18. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"But most Christians who attempt this are simply labeled "liberals" and dismissed by such. "-----------------------------------------------------

Just as Christians who want to protect our heritage and our constitution and history are accused of wanting a Theocracy.

19. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

JohnV said. "(it's an insexpensive show to produce)."

INSEXPENSIVE to describe a gay oriented show. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahheehehhehhehhheeeeeeh

Hahahahahahahheheheeeeheeehhheehaaaaaheeeeehaaa

*******takes a deep gasp for air*****

Haahahahhahahhhahhaaaaahaaaahaaaaheheheeeeeheeeee

Haaahaaahaaahhhaahhaaaaaaahehehehehheeeeeeeeeeeee

*****Passes out from lack of oxygen********

20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dateline is the best news documentary program on TV. (CNN comes close sometimes, but not as regularly.)