1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Beatles are the greatest rock n' roll band of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Travelsong, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Need I repeat myself?

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Please Don't

No need to repeat yourelf DHK, you've done a great job convincing yourelf that you are right.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Thanks DHK. Your reposting that points out the humor and parody of my post using your same logic.:laugh:

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I only point out that you cannot intelligently refute what I have posted. You complain about it, insult it, laugh about it, but you can't refute it, can you? You have offered no intelligent interpretation of the song "Help." You just sit back and claim that mine is wrong. What kind of debate is that. Quite frankly you are the one that looks very foolish for not willing to engage in any meaningful debate.
    DHK

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You have to understand that it's hard to take you seriously when you say some of the things you do.

First of all, to say that "Help" isn't about a whore. It's simply about a young man going from being cynical to realizing his place in a relationship.

Likewise, to say that "Her Majesty" is a bad song because only Jesus should be called Majesty isn't so bright.

First, the Bible never calls Jesus "Majesty".

Second, majesty, as a descriptive word, isn't exclusive to God. It refers to any royalty.

It's hard to "intelligently refute" something that no one takes seriously to begin with.

Now Playing: Jimmy Buffett - "Take the Weather With You"

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I retracted the part about being a "whore" stating that that may be a term too strong for many of you. Nevertheless the context of the song seems to give credence to a young man (Lennon) crying out for help to a young woman, someone in his house to come in the bedroom, as the door is open. I posted other information about Lennon that would lead also to such conclusions. If we stick to this one song, no one has bothered to refute what I have said. I don't think they can. It certainly is not a cry for "help" from God, as was first suggested. That is ludicrous.
    DHK

7. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

A Beatles song

Here is another song the Lennon sang, lets see if we can properly interpret this one,
    Lennon/McCartney)
    I'm a loser
    I'm a loser
    And I'm not what I appear to be
    Of all the love I have won or have lost
    there is one love I should never have crossed
    She was a girl in a million, my friend
    I should have known she would win in the end
    I'm a loser
    And I lost someone who's near to me
    I'm a loser
    Although I laugh and I act like a clown
    Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown
    My tears are falling like rain from the sky
    Is it for her or myself that I cry
    I'm a loser
    I'm a loser
    What have I done to deserve such a fate
    I realize I have left it too late
    And so it's true, pride comes before a fall
    I'm telling you so that you won't lose all
    I'm a loser
    I'm a loser

See Lennon realizes that he is a jerk with women and no matter how much he pretends the reality is that he is a loser.
    So what does Lennon do, he goes to the Bible and finds the answer to his question "What have I done to deserve such a fate?" and then he sees it there staring him in the face in Proverbs 16:18.
    He knows his real problem is his pride and even though he knows that he will always be predestined to be a loser he wants the youth to be encouraged to read the Bible and turn off that rotten dirty Beatles music.

Seriously DHK . if you want to find some Beatles music tha does talk about sex and other immoral acts you can find it in the Beatles White Alblum. It was just that you were simply off base with your interpretations of the songs that you listed
    P.S. I am only kidding about my interpretation of the "I'm A Loser" song.:smilewinkgrin:

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No one said Lennon was dumb. He was a smart man. Prov.16:18 is a well known proverb among the unsaved as much as it is among the saved. Just because he referred to "pride goeth before the fall" does not in any way mean that he went to the Bible. He didn't. He could probably rattle off a dozen or so of the proverbs of Confucius as well. Maybe some of Buddha's says too. No one said that he was lacking in intelligence. He was a Christ-hater by his own testimony. He said some of the most filthy blasphemous things about Christ ever recorded in history. He didn't go to the Bible. Because he quoted part of a well-known proverb is no evidence at all. He didn't even believe in God. It is a farce to even think that he believed in the God of the Bible. He studied under Maharishi, eastern mysticism.
    Seriously you need to study about the man that you are trying to exalt. He was as evil in music as Hitler was in politics.
    DHK

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Lennon denounced the Maharishi when he found out that he was getting to familiar with one of the ladies in the group he was with when they visited him( refer to "Dear Prudence" from the White Alblum. Lennon wrote a song about the incident) Lennon also stated that he didn't believe in Jesus or Buddha or any other dieties but he only believed in himself and Yoko. And as I stated about the song "I'm A Loser" that it was not meant to be a serious interpretation and I was only kidding about my interpretation.
    DHK, I may actually know more about the Beatles than I really care to know. In the long run they are not that important.
    As far as exhalting Lennon, I have not done so. Can you prove that I did? Show me a quote where I said any such nonsense.

#209 Petra-O IX, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2006
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Good to hear. I know more about them than I care to know also. I agree that in the long run they are not important. So why in a Christian forum, dedicated to Christian music has this thread gone 21 pages, just praising either the music or the band of such an ungodly group of people? It is beyond me.
    Here is a partial quote:

"He knows his real problem is his pride and even though he knows that he will always be predestined to be a loser he wants the youth to be encouraged to read the Bible."

Perhaps you were being sarcastic. But I haven't seen you say much against Lennon either.
    DHK

11. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

This is exhalting???????

Yes I was being sarcastic, that particular post was meant to be sarcastic so as to point out how easy it is to twist and make out a simple song such as "Help" to mean anything you want, you still have not proved your point on that one DHK.
    As far as exhalting Lennon,:rolleyes: you still haven't proved that one either.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What haven't I demonstrated? I quoted the words to "Help."
    I gave a fair and reasonable interpretation along with other information to support it. Except for the word "whore" which offended some, no one has offered any explanation why it is unreasonable. Like yourself you sit back and say "you still have not proved your point." Tell me how I have not proved my point.
    I have been waiting for this answer for I don't know how many pages now.
    DHK

13. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Here is what you did DHK

What you did DHK, was to take portions of Lennons personal life and inject all the bad things he ever did into the song "Help" which was not a biographical song at all. The song is what it is ,DHK, but you added more to it and in doing that you diminished the truth and when you do not speak the truth,DHK, how does that glorify God.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One interprets a song, (or even Scripture), by the information that he has.
    In Scripture for example, often Catholics will interpret the Bible by the information they don't have--the perpetual virginity of Mary. The information we do have (Mat.13:55) tells us that Mary had other children.
    We look at the song. What information does it give us?
    Then we look at Lennon's life? What information does it give us?
    Then we draw our conclusions.

This is true with any piece of literature. Context, the writer, the historical era, the people being written to, the purpose of the piece of literature, all have a part in the interpretation.
    I just don't blindly look at the title "help" and say: "Oh look, Lennon's song is a cry to God." It isn't.
    DHK

15. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I am not Catholic

I'm not Catholic so I wouldn't understand their ways.
    Stienbeck wrote his fair piece of fiction but he didn't necessarily live it, same thing goes for Lennon he wrote a song and knew folks would buy it but the song was pure fiction written for a movie that was pure fiction.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most songs come from the heart. They reveal the heart. They may be fiction, per se. But they do have meaning. As one interpreted it as a cry to God, that wasn't the correct interpretation. When you say it was fiction, even fiction has meaning. Some say that the "parable" of the rich man Lazarus is pure fiction. Though that is a debate in itself, suppose it is. It still has meaning. It still teaches something. All the parables of Jesus do--fictional or not. The Psalms are poetry. They have meaning that we can learn from. Some of them are hard to understand. "Ephraim is a silly dove." What does that mean? Fictional or not, Lennon wrote for a reason. What was his intent, and what message was he trying to get across?
    DHK

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You're joking, right?

I mean, you're not really so dense that you don't know that the "door" is metaphorical, refering to his willingness to make himself vulnerable to another person, where he was not before, right?

I used to pass a homeless man every day who believed he was Field Marhall Montgomery. Nobody refuted him, either.

Yes, that is a little silly, but certainly no more silly than claiming that it's about a whore.

Now Playing: Ricky Skaggs – "Sweet Temptation"

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

:applause: EXACTLY! :thumbsup:

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No need for name calling.
    At least your starting to discuss the song; I'll give you that much credit.
    So the door is metaphorical. It represents his wiliingless to make himself vulnerable to another person where he was not before. OK, I'll won't disagree with that possibility, still insisting that the other person is a woman. So your interpretation is still not that far from mine--just a bit more figurative, but you come out with the same basic meaning.
    Why harp on the word "whore" when I have already stated that I retracted the use of it.
    DHK

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I didn't call you anything.

Hello. I'm the guy who was trying to get you to talk about the songs three pages ago.

...and?

Speak for yourself. I didn't come up with anything even remotely resembling this disjointed fairytale of yours.

You're the one who's spinning tales of salacious intrigue with whores. I just said it was a nice song about a guy in love with a girl.

But the fact that you used it in the first place shows that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Now Playing: Babs Gonzales – "Weird Lullabye"