1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible as science

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 18, 2010.

?
  1. Extremely important.

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Somewhat important.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Not important at all.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I am not sure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting liberal interpretation Tiny, one that would make a very good line in a sermon and would slip by most people as being liberal ... as it really is.

No, I am not disagreeing with you

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Since God compares 6 days in Exodus, which were 24 hour days, to the 6 days of creation, it follows that the 6 days in creation were the same amount of time.

NET Bible footnote

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If metaphor or hyperbole are used, one can usually discern that from the context. The context of Gen. 1 does not give indication for that.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Right, which only affirms the Gen 1 account as being 6 literal 24 hour days if one translates it the way NET Bible editors say is an option:

5. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where do we get our year from? The Earth circling the Sun. Where do we get the month from? The moon circiling the Earth. Where do we get 24 hours from? The Earth's rotation. Where do we get the week from? Genesis is the answer.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying that before the flood that the days were the same length as today after the flood?

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I voted extremely important. If pressed I fall on the side of six literal 24 hour days. But I am not completely dogmatic about the first three days.

Gen 1:14 Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;

It seems clear that from that point forward each day has been a 24 hour day. I don't know if it is quite as clear that prior to that point is was so.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question I posted in the OP was not limited just to Genesis ... but to all the Bible wherever it makes a statement that is scientific.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I believe every word of the bible to be the true word of God. It doesn't matter, scientific,historic or whatever the statement, I believe every word.

10. Thermodynamics

To me it is critical that the Bible be accurate on matters of science (and history among other things). If the Bible teaches that the earth is flat for example, we know that is not the case. So in a case like that how or why would we trust the Bible to be accurate on spiritual matters?

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm saying, God knew what He was talking about, but we let 'science' tell us God's word isn't good enough for us.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

:applause:

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

God created the world and all the scientific laws by which it operates. So His word is not going to contradict science, thought it might be that some people make mistaken interpretations about science and think there is conflict.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

At this point one must be forced to shift to rely on their personal experience to give them faith. They must rely on how they feel about parts of scripture and whether they can know it is of God. Contrary to scripture of course.

15. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I believe they were days as we know them. Just because the Bible tells us that 1,000 years is the same to God as one day doesn't mean that those "days" were each 1,000 years long. Those who can't seem to accept that God was perfectly capable of creating EVERYTHING in just six 24 hour days believe it was a LOT longer than that.

After each day's creation, we read, "And the morning and the evening---." I don't believe God needed to take six days to create everything; He just chose to take six days. He also didn't need to "rest" after the creation. Does God get tired? It simply means He stopped creating--at least at that time. Personally, I believe He is still creating great sights for His pleasure that mankind will never see while we're in this limited body.

16. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe it is nothing less than heresy to say God didn't mean 6-24 hour days leterally! Unbelief gets fired up when you compromise the truth.

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How in the world did this turn into a creation thread?

that's a head scratcher...

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question is much broader than creation. Let me try to widen it and hope the discussion remain narrow dwelling on Genesis 1 and 2.

The Bible says:

Insects have six legs, not four.

#58 Crabtownboy, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Crabby, what you are doing is called quibbling.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am trying to make the focus of the discussion broader.

Are these two mistakes in scripture important. To me they are not. Are they to you? I hope not.