1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible wars.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wish KJVO would read the preface in the 1611 Kjv, as the translators themselves would have nothing to do with views of Kjvo, neither did their patron saint to them, Dean Burgeon!

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in other words, because such variants exist there can be no knowable inerrant word of God.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Translation and chosen text are two seperate issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A different visable God or the same God made visable?

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in other words, we no longer have God's inerrant word.

6. Anon1379

Anon1379 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The variants do not take away from God's truth. What he has wanted to give to us has been given to us. Variants don't change that. I don't know how you think today it's such a big deal when people for a thousand years read Bibles such as the Septuagint and the Vulgate that differ so much more than anything we have today. Why is it suddenly a big deal now and not when people read the Vulgate and the Septuagint. You keep spouting off about how we don't have an errant Bible in the way you want. Why do you demand it today when God hasn't worked that way for thousands of years.

#126 Anon1379, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  7. Anon1379

Anon1379 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you have an issue with John 1:1? John 1:1 states the same. In John 1:1, the word which is God is with God. In John 1:18 the only begotten is with God. The words "only begotten" tell you.

I guarantee if all manuscripts said God nobody would bat an eye or think twice about this verse. In the same way nobody who does proper exegesis of "I and my Father are one." If you wanted to pretend this verse teaches heresy, then you certainly can. Anyone can take scripture and butcher it to mean something it doesn't and make issues out something that is not an issue. You want to pretend only begotten God is an issue. It's not. If I wanted to pretend "I and my Father are" is an issue, I certainly can and could even make a viable argument for it. But at the end of the day just because a verse can mean something else if you twist does not mean it's wrong.

#127 Anon1379, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same Jesus, who is God!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have the Infallible witness to the doctrines of God to us!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of one starts off the TR or the CT ot the Bzt, still end up in English with word of the lord to us now!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has there been any changes in doctrines and theology from the Kjv to the modern translations?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious as to what is there in that verse that can be used to support wrong understandings>

13. Anon1379

Anon1379 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. The old testament of let's say the nasb (or any modern Bible kjv included) is so much closer to the Hebrew old testament than the Septuagint ever was, and yet the Septuagint was used by the church for much longer. The new testament of the nasb (or any modern Bible kjv included) is so much closer the Greek new testament than the Vulgate ever was, and yet the Vulgate was used much much longer. For a literal thousand years. Today we are soooooo blessed to have the TR and the UBS. And yet people still find a way to complain. Just be happy that we have a plethora of manuscripts and are closer to the originals than anyone else in history. The textual variants between the UBS and the TR are nothing compared to the textual variants between the Septuagint and the masoretic text, or the Vulgate and whichever Greek text you choose.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

14. Anon1379

Anon1379 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people take I and my Father are one to mean that they are same person as in there is no Father and son, as in They are the same person and not distinct. The son is just a manifestation of the father on earth, but is still the father.

So in other words instead of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all God. The three are all the son, the father, and the spirit at the same time. Basically they are not three and one, just one

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that would be used by those supporting Oneness doctrine as relating to the person of God?
    I have read how JW and others have used it to man that they are one in purpose, but not one ae in both being God!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am much more concerned with the philosophy behind the translation, as in formal or dynamic, then in which Greek sources used...

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, so you believe all the variants are caused by God Himself.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will bed closed sometime after 6:10 PM Pacific.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you say so.

20. Anon1379

Anon1379 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what I said.... I'm simply saying that just because there are variants, God's truth is not diminished. I still have yet to see you answer why you care about the variants today but not those of the Vulgate or Septuagint. Why do you make it a big deal about it now and not question why God allowed Bibles with tons more variants to be used for good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.