1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Big A" is back!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Johnv, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Tis story is a few weeks old, but is interesting...
    [​IMG]
    Angel Stadium (then known as Anaheim Stadium) as it looked in 1967.

[​IMG]
    Angel Stadium (then known as Edison Field) as it looked during the 2002 World Series).

[​IMG]
    The "Big A", which was moved when the stadium was retrofitted for football, as it appeared prior to the 2002 season. It has since been painted red to match the new team colors. A local landmark, the halo is lit (and it twinkles) whenever the Angels win a game (home or away). The halo can be clearly seen from passenger aircraft flying into John Wayne Airport. After the 2002 World Series win, the halo remained lit for a week straight.

[ March 31, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people criticize naming stadia, etc. after corporate sponsors, but WHAT HARM DOES IT DO? What's wrong with having the NOKIA sugar Bowl when each school playing in it gets big bucks from Nokia?

Wonder if Anaheim will opt for another corporate sponsor to buy naming rights for the Big A? Long as that big symbol, which represents West Coast baseball to us Easterners is left intact, I see no harm.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm sure they eventually will, but they're in no hurry to. Frankly, the additional income provided by higher attendance figures at Angels games more than makes up for the loss in sponsorship revenue. Angels management dun't seem too concerned. And at a mere $12 for upper view seats ($6 for us Auto Club members), I've got several game tickets I'm already looking forward to.

I was having lunch with a few coworkers who suggested that Disney consider such a sponsorship (Disney's Angel Stadium of Anaheim has a nice ring to it). Who knows? Anything's possible. But I doubt we'll see another name on the marguee for a few years yet.