1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Black Widow of eating

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Sep 5, 2010.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

How would you like to be married to this woman and have to feed her? :eek:

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Black Widow of eating contests has gobbled up nearly 181 chicken wings in 12 minutes, devouring the national championship record in Buffalo.
    The National Buffalo Wing Festival says the wings originated in the city.
    Sonya Thomas ate 4.86 pounds of chicken wings to win the festival's contest on Sunday, besting world eating marvel Joey Chestnut. Thomas calls herself the Black Widow because she often beats male competitors in eating contests. The previous record was her 174 wings in 2005.
    Chestnut came in second after eating 169 chicken wings. That's 4.55 pounds.
    Thomas says she's "so happy" because Chestnut had been favored to win. She says her technique of using her hands more than her mouth helped her.
    The 43-year-old from Alexandria, Va., says she was still hungry after the contest — so she ate 20 hot wings.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/7188127.html

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

"The 43-year-old from Alexandria, Va., says she was still hungry after the contest — so she ate 20 hot wings."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This woman is just over 100 lbs and THIN!

She has entered and won other eating contests.

HankD

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eating like that is gluttony, I don't care if she's 100 pounds or 400 pounds. If she were overweight, you'd better believe she'd face all kinds of condemnation and disgust. I guess it's okay since she's "thin."

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Professional eating contests are full of people who condition themselves to eat huge amounts of food and stay (relatively) thin. Kobaishi (spelled his name wrong but using my iPhone right now) was a pretty lean guy.

They train like athletes (which I don't consider them) to eat huge amounts of food and then pass most of it out. Its all about how you ramp up your metabolism.

I do think eating contests like this a prime example of American's (western first world countries) obsession with overindulgence and extreme forms of entertainment. When most of the world's population is starving and/or mired in hopeless poverty we champion these kinds of things. Its just a really messed up set of priorities imho.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I wasn't putting my stamp of approval on her practice of over eating.
    Just stating what to me is an incredible fact that a person can eat so much and be thin.

I will leave the judgment of her as a person to God as I myself am very well flawed.

HankD

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

abcgrad94 you are correct. This kind of thing is gluttony and her size has nothing to do with it. It is just another sign that men are sinfull to the core. We have made a sport out of sin. :eek:

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone who is thin does not overeat. Simple physics.

But, the abuse of food is indeed a vice.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I go in phases with being repulsed and fascinated with competitive cooking shows.
    Watching judges sit there and criticize or be disgusted because something didn't have some weird thing I've never heard of added properly just makes me cringe and feel horrible about humans. Or the one time the one show...they took all the time and expense to fly in some weird type of shellfish I'd never even heard of from some weird coastal line of some other country just for the show.

Christian, Satanist, or in between, I can't imagine human beings not being disturbed by that.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know you weren't condoning her actions. I was just stating my opinion that our society is hypocritical to make this lady a "champion" while others with similar behavior are chastized because of size. It's a double standard.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed it is.

I guess it's not a proper Christian attitude, but I would like to have her metabolism.

HankD