1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Chalcedonian Creed: Fact, Fiction, or Something Between?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was never able to physical die if he was just God, so had to be also a man, and he had to have the human nature, as one cannot be human with being found human natured!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God die a physical death on the cross?

(And to be fair, @Martin Marprelate mentioned calming the seas. Not you).

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus physically died, and he was God!

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God experienced death for us.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, let's do it! Where are your Scriptures?

6. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confusing the Chalcedon Creed with Nestorianism. Chalcedon makes it clear that Christ is only one Person. Yet He was God as if He were not man, and man as if He were not God. Christ suffered; Christ calmed the seas. But when we see Him become tired and needing to sleep, which is not something that God needs to do (Isaiah 40:28), we know that it is because He is a man, man as if He were not God. And when we see Him calm the wind and waves with a word, we know that this is something only God can do. Christ is God, God as if He were not man. But Christ does not do one thing 'in His human nature' and another thing 'in His divine nature.' That is Nestorianism which the creed was composed, in part, to oppose. He is not two people in one body-- the man Jesus and the divine Son as Nestorius taught. Christ is one hypostasis in two physeis. A single Person with two natures.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ... And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

1. I believe that the passage is speaking of Christ. Jesus is the λόγος (the Logos, the Word).

2. The Word (again, I believe this is Jesus Christ - the Son) became flesh.

I believe this means that the Word (which I identify as the Son) became flesh (became man).

Here we have Jesus NOT losing his divinity but becoming man.

In John 5:8 Jesus makes Himself equal with God.

In John 10 Jesus says that He and the Father are One.

In Col. 2:9 Paul says that in Him all the fulness of Deity dwells in bodily form.

In Phil. 2 Paul describes Christ as existing in the form of God but not regarding equality with God a thing to be grasped. He emptied Himself and took the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of man submitted even to death on a cross.

These verses PROVES that Jesus is God and Man.

There are no verses that prove Jesus is less God than God or more man than man.

These verses show He is very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are seeing a separation of natures that do not exist in the Chalecedon Creed (literally) Not man "as if he were not God" or God "as if he were not man" but God-man. That is the Chalecedon Creed. And THAT is the orthodox position of Christianity.

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I can agree with all that, save perhaps the penultimate line. Jesus is not less than God, but God is more than Jesus; He is also Father and Holy Spirit. But what is your objection to Chalcedon and what Scriptures do you use to substantiate your disagreement?

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't object to the Chalcedon Creed. I disagreed with one interpretation (the change from "inseparable" to "separate and distinct"). And I objected to the creed being an authority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the "persons" aspect. But how does Jesus being not all God (or God being more than an Jesus) work with Paul's words that "all the fullness of God dwelt in him"?

And does this mean that God is the sum of the Persons (Father + Son + Spirit)?

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And from what Scripture do you support such thinking?

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again your lack of Scripture to support this is alarming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, perhaps you need to tell the coroner or mortician this.

Desecration of the dead is a crime.

One can not argue that the human ceases to be just because what you term as “nature” is missing.

That actually seems Darwinian influenced, in which a human is not human unless certain criteria is met.

• Like Like x 1
  15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

“Physeis” was first used by the Greeks to mean the “physical” not the study of relationships of the body to stimulation and input.

For you to extend “physeis” to incorporate such as temperament, intellect, ... is beyond the original use.

For the reader, we derive physical and physics from “physeis”. Both having to do with the structure and force of material and matter.

Therefore, it is debatable as to why the Chalcedonian Creed would use “natura” when the best word would have been “physeis” as it relates to the full human (being found as a man) and was historically how the ancients considered the body of Christ.

Therefore, the creed may certainly be taken as accurate, but not if one supposes fleshly personality attributes (temperament, intellect, ...) were part of the mix.

Christ was 100% physically human and 100% fully God, inseparable, in complete harmony, with a single will, singleness of thought, singleness of desire, and singleness in return (no spiritual return while leaving the body with the father - same in the grave. He was at all times eternally linked to the Father and took upon Himself flesh.

At no place does the Scripture state he took upon Himself human personality traits of which modern science portrays as “nature.”

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry if you find my expression confusing; as I have written elsewhere, it is not original to me but it seems to sum up Chalcedon rather well.
    '.....One and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures; inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved, and concurring in one Person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons.....' The two natures are not blended or confused. Christ is real God and real man. Man as if He were not God; God as if He were not man. It seems rather clear to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I've said, Jesus is fully God; I have no problem with Colossians 1:19 or 2:9. His Deity was not hamstrung by His humanity when He stilled the storm or raised Lazarus from the dead. But although Jesus is God, God is not Jesus. God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    No. All the fullness of God dwells in Father, Son and Spirit.

So what is your understanding?

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Confused Where exactly have I done that? I absolutely do not believe that Christ had two temperaments or two wills. He had a human nature and a divine nature, but He did not have two wills. He could be hungry and thirsty, tired and weary; He could be tempted, which are things that apply to man and not God. He knew the thoughts and desires of all men (John 2:24-25) and had power of the elements and over death, and was without sin, which are things that apply to God and not man. As man, He prayed to the Father; the Father did not pray to Him. After His baptism, 'the Spirit immediately drove Him out into the wilderness' (Mark 1:12). He did not drive or send the Spirit anywhere until after His ascension.
    I do not do so.
    Yes.
    No. The Father sent the Son. That implies separation. The Son could be hungry (Matthew 4:2). The Father does not feel hunger.
    Yes.
    Christ could be tempted (Hebrews 4:15). At Gethsemane, He shrank from what He was about to face. "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me.....'
    Yes, for the glory of God. '......nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will' (Matthew 26:39). See also John 12:27.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here. You'll have to explain further.
    No. That sounds like Sabellianism.
    See above.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is that all the fullness of God dwells in Christ and it is only through him we can know God (he is given to man as God's self-revelation). Also, all the fullness of God dwells in the Father. And in the Spirit.

So in my understanding when we behold the Son we behold God (fully, not partly). When we consider the Father and Spirit we consider God (fully, not partly).

I believe God in three Persons (not as a sum..i.e. divided into three Persons).

Does that help clarify my view?

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creeds are man-made; Scripture is God-given. Let's go forward with that in mind.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.