1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Commandments

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Iamodd4God, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Our "WHOLE" duty is to fear God, and obey His commandments. The reason people don't obey God's commandments is because they do not fear God.

PEOPLE say that it is "IMPOSSIBLE" to obey the commandments; just because people say it is impossible doesn't mean that it is. First of all, why on earth would God make our duty something that is impossible for us to do, and then punish us for not doing it? That makes no sense whatsoever. Second of all, look at the list of commandments; which ones are "IMPOSSIBLE" to obey?

1. not other gods
    2. no idolatry
    3. not "TAKING" the name of God in vain
    4. keep the sabbath day holy
    5. honor your mother and father
    6. no killing
    7. no adultery
    8. no stealing
    9. no lying
    10. no coveting

Disobedience to these commandments are by people's choice NOT God's design. If you disobey the commandments it isn't because it is "IMPOSSIBLE" for you to obey them, it is because you "CHOOSE" not to obey them. Many people will find this truth out at judgment day.

Psalms 111:7-8 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The commandments HAVE NOT been done away with as people say. The commandments will "STAND FAST" "FOREVER". Jesus Himself said that not one jot or tittle shall pass from the law till all be fulfilled, which is "AFTER" heaven and earth is destroyed. Has that happened yet? Nope, so therefore the commandments are still enforced.

Matthew 19:16-17 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Jesus Himself said that to "ENTER" into eternal life you MUST obey the commandments. Was this only for this one man? Was this only for those under the Old Testament? Not according to Scripture...

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Isn't this what Jesus said to the rich man in Matthew 19:16-17? Those that "DO" His commandments are the blessed who will have the RIGHT to the tree of life. Those who DO NOT do His commandments are NOT blessed and WILL NOT have the right to the tree of life.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The ONLY ones that will be going to heaven are those that "DO" the will of God. Those that DO NOT do the will of God WILL NOT be going to heaven. What is God's will for us?

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Once again, our "WHOLE" duty is to fear God, and OBEY His commandments. This is God's will. From the beginning this has been God's will, and it will be God's will forever, and ever.

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Being called the least in the kingdom of heaven IS NOT a good thing.

In the name of Jesus Christ,

Ken

2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

People or the Bible?...

Rom 3:10-11...
    as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands;
    no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”

To give us knowledge of sin...

Rom 3:20...
    For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

To increase the trespass...

Rom 5:20...
    Now the law came in to increase the trespass...

It is our tutor that leads us to Christ by showing our need for a Savior...

Gal 3:24...
    Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

And so, we are justified by faith, not the law...

Rom 3:28...
    or we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

It must be great to not have to suffer from the same problems that the great men of faith have always suffered.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Blessings,
    Joe

#4 Joe, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  5. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

If you read Romans 3:10-11 in its context you will see that the apostle Paul is speaking about those still under sin...

Romans 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

The apostle Paul doesn't stop about these people in verse 11; he continues on saying...

Romans 3:13 Their throat is an open sepulcher; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
    Romans 3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
    Romans 3:15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:
    Romans 3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:
    Romans 3:17 And the way of peace have they not known:
    Romans 3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

You have thrown Christians into this mix. Would you say that a Christians mouth is full of cursing and bitterness? That a Christians feet is swift to shed blood? Would you say that destruction and misery is in the Christians way? Would you say that the Christian has NOT known the way of peace? And that for the Christian there is no fear of God?

Perhaps that isn't enough to show you that there are people who are righteous. Well then what do you make of the following passage of Scripture?

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

If there is none righteous, then why would James say that the prayer of a RIGHTEOUS MAN avails much? If none is righteous James wouldn't have made this comment. If none is righteous, then our prayers don't avail much does it?

Absolutely TRUE, no body is justified by being obedient to the law, and never have I made such a claim. A person can begin to obey all the commandments and still go to the lake of fire, because they never became saved. There is ONLY one way that a person can be saved, and that is by the blood of Jesus Christ, which was shed for the forgiveness of sins by the mercy of God. All that said, are we then excused from obeying God?

Not really sure where you were going with this? To me Romans 5:20 is saying the same thing as Romans 3:20, and the same thing as Romans 7:7-13, which is pointing out how the law exposes what sin is. As we are told: "sin is violation of the law."

1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Yes, that is ABSOLUTELY true; we are not justified by the law, and never have I said that we are. But le me ask you a straight up question...

Two people robs a bank and dies as a result of a shootout with the police. One is a self professed Christian, while the other is not. According to OSAS the Christian will still go to heaven, where the unsaved man will go to hell. So here is my question: "Why would God condemn the one and not the other?"

Ken

6. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Absolutely 100% correct. But how does that have anything to do with obeying the commandments?

Ken

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

So are we getting into the realm of "mortal sins" and "venal sins?"

Also...Jesus took the commandments in the Sermon on the Mount and went a step further. Are you ready to go that far and say your heart and motives are entirely pure, as well as your outward actions?

Finally, James said...

I agree with you that we choose to disobey God. I agree with you that no one forces us to disobey any of His commandments.

But for any person to say, "I keep them all," well....I don't buy it. And I think 1 John would back me up.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

Hi Ken,

I don't agree we can keep all of the 10 commanments, as our sin nature doesn't allow it. Like rbell's bible verse stated, if you offend one point, you are breaking all of the commandments.

Here is an example- Thou shall not commit adultery.

Yet it states in the bible if one looks at a woman to lust after her then he has committed adultery in his/her heart. So thus, one has sinned.

So we need to be honest and admit that we do sin, and break the commandment(s) at times. Some believe the commandments don't apply to day. Either way, when these instructions aren't kept, it is sin.

Blessings,

Joe

#8 Joe, Aug 23, 2007
  9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Here's a portion of the article-

"Now the first sermon is in Exodus 19 and 20; by it God caused himself to be heard from heaven with great splendor and might. For the people of Israel heard the trumpets and the voice of God himself."
    Since it is heard by GOD himself with trumpets, I find it to be very important. I believe we need to strive to keep these commandments.

These commandments established order when it was needed. Moses called out to the Lord, and he responded with some guidelines (commandments) which I believe still apply today.

I am not totally convinced I am correct, and need more study on this issue. Until then, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Joe

#10 Joe, Aug 23, 2007
  11. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

This is what Jesus said about the heart:

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Matthew 15:18-20 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

If you don't have a pure heart you will not see the kingdom of God. Not obeying the commandments that are made up by men isn't what defiles a person; it is disobedience to the commandments of God that defiles a man.

What about thoughts? Are all thoughts sinful? No. An evil spirit can put a thought in your head, but that isn't sin; it's temptation, and temptation is not a sin. A thought is a sin is when you conjure up the thought yourself, a perfect example of this is what Jesus said in regards to adultery...

Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

According to Jesus if you look at a woman "to lust after her" then you have committed adultery with her; now get this: "IN YOUR HEART." To lust after a woman is to "THINK" sexual thoughts about her. Again, Jesus said by doing this you would have committed adultery with her already in your HEART. Re-read and see that adultery is one of the things that comes from the heart, and defiles people.

Ezekiel 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Cast away "ALL" your sins and make yourself a "NEW HEART". REPENT! Unless you are "BORN AGAIN" you CANNOT see the kingdom of God.

First, let's look at this passage of Scripture logically. If a person violates one point of the law is it possible that he is obeying the "WHOLE" law? The answer would be an absolute no.

Second, what James is showing here is that by breaking the law at any given point means that you are a law breaker. He even gives an illustration, which you left out...

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

We know for certain that James is speaking about the ten commandments, anybody who says he wasn't is clearly in opposition of the Scriptures. Now notice what he said: "if you commit no adultery, but you kill then you become a "TRANSGRESSOR OF THE LAW."

James 2:10-11 by no means is teaching how it is impossible to obey the commandments. You have to twist the passage of Scripture to make it say what you want.

You think 1John would back you up? Let's see...

1John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

1John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1John 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

I would have to disagree with you, I don't think 1John would back you up at all. Of course I know somebody will quote 1John 1:8 out of context to prove me wrong, so let me go ahead and quote 1John 1:8 for you "IN" context.

1John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

1John 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us.)

1John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

1John 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

1John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

1John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

1John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Were these people Christians? If so why would the apostle John say: "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us." If these people were Christian, then this message would not have had to been delivered to them, because they would have already known these things, and therefore would have already been in fellowship with the apostle John and the other Christians. So it is proven that these people were NOT Christians yet.

Now look at 1John 1:8, which says if we say we have no sin we lie and the truth is not in us. Is this directed to the Christians, or the non-Christians? Why I believe it is to the non-Christians is because of two reasons...

1) Putting this into context as to which it is written, it is directed to the non-Christians as shown in 1John 1:3.

2) The apostle John later states how those who abide in Jesus "DOES NOT" sin. (1John 3:6).

So I picture the apostle John standing before me and saying "Ken if you say you don't sin, you deceive yourself and the truth is not in you. But Ken if you abide in Jesus you don't sin." Then I scratch my head and say "Huh?". Well, then I realize that is NOT what the apostle John is saying at all. What he is is saying is that as a non believer if you say you have no sin you are deceiving yourself and the truth is not in you. As a believer you are abiding in Jesus Christ and you do not sin.

Whether you "buy it" or not is up to you. God is giving you the same opportunity to be obedient as He is giving everybody else. Why will the "MANY" not go to heaven? Because they do not do the will of God.

Ken

#11 Iamodd4God, Aug 23, 2007
  12. rbell

rbell Active Member

hmmm...you reckon it has anything to do with their relationship with Jesus Christ?

Ken, your entire post was well-written, and you use Scripture well.

But you still aren't gonna be able to prove that a Christian can be sinless. Not even Paul could make that leap.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Ken,

I think I read your post to mean you believe one can avoid the specific sin of breaking one or more of the 10 commandments after repentance. That one's heart is right with god after repentance so one has the ability not to break the commandments.

Not to get off track, but do you hold to the 7th day Sabbath?

Blessings,

Joe

P.S I appreciate your post, and all of the scripture you provided.

#13 Joe, Aug 23, 2007
  14. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Hi Joe,

You said you don't believe we can obey all 10 of the commandments because our sin nature will not allow it. Again, if we can't do this then why would God make it our "WHOLE" duty (Ecclesiastes 12:13)? Also, isn't our sin nature the "old man" that was put to death?

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

As for James 2:10, as I mentioned in a reply to rbell this is not saying that it is impossible to obey the commandments. Look at what it says...

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

As I asked in my reply to rbell; if a person offends in one point of the law is he keeping the whole law? The answer is no. If he offends at one point of the law he is guilty of the whole law, because he is a transgressor of the law, which is what James says in the passage of Scripture that follows James 2:10...

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

We can make the same statement today in regards to our laws. We can say that if a person obeys all the laws except for one of the laws, then he is a law breaker. If a person doesn't murder, but he speeds in his car, he is a law breaker.

Do you realize that in America at one time it was illegal for women to pose in provocative clothing? You wouldn't find magazine ads with women wearing bikinis or skimpy clothing. Today, it is everywhere? Why? Because the morals of our country is going down the toilet, and why? Because Satan, the prince of this world is doing his job.

What you quoted above about adultery is absolutely true, but if you are implying that it is impossible to keep yourself from lusting, then you are dead wrong. If you yourself cannot keep yourself from lusting that is you, not me.

Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

"SINNING IS LIVING" after the flesh. Sin is doing what you want to do, and not what God wants you to do. Not because your sin nature renders you incapable of obeying God, but because you choose not to obey God.

What we need to do is obey the commandments, as that is God's expectations (Ecclesiastes 12:13). As for some believing that the commandments don't apply to us today I have three things...

1) God's commandments stand fast FOREVER.

Psalms 111:7-8 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.

2) Not one jot or tittle will pass from the law.

Matthew 5:18-19 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

3) Those who obey the commandments will have the right to the tree of life.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Ken

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ken,
    Why does God chasten His children if they never sin?

Hbr 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
    Hbr 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
    Hbr 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
    Hbr 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected [us], and we gave [them] reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

16. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Hi Joe,

YES! I absolutely obey the fourth commandment. No, I'm not a seventh day adventist; I believe the lake of fire is eternal, and I don't believe any meat is unclean.

HOWEVER, I did used to mow my lawn on Saturdays thinking it was okay, because "labor" is for earning wages. OOOPS, I got corrected. Let's read about the sabbath day...

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
    Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

A lady told me she believes that ANY day is okay as long as we truly keep it as a sabbath day. I told her the problem with that belief is that God didn't declare A sabbath day, he declared "THE" sabbath day, which is the SEVENTH day of the week, NOT the first day of the week.

I've had people quote the following passage of Scripture to me in effort to prove the Sabbath day being held by the apostles on the first day of the week...

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

This tells us what they DID on the FIRST day of the week, but it doesn't tell us what they DID or DIDN'T do on the seventh day of the week. In other words, can anybody here without a doubt say that they did not honor the sabbath day on Saturday? Of course not, to say that you have to make it up. If you can do that, then I can say not only did they break bread together on the first day of the week, but on the second day they came together to break dance. As funny as that may sound that is exactly what people has done, by using this passage to "prove" the sabbath day has changed.

We can safely assume that the apostles of Jesus Christ kept the sabbath day as commanded by God. The fact that they met on the first day of the week to break bread together does not prove that they did not keep the sabbath day holy as instructed by God.

Is going to church on Sunday wrong? No, I'm sure God is pleased when we worship Him any time. However, not keeping the sabbath day holy is wrong, regardless if you go to church Sunday through Friday. Who will have the right to the tree of life? Revelation 22:14.

As argumentative as my posts may be I am NOT your enemy. People may not like what I say and disagree with what I believe, but I provide Scripture supporting myself. People have provided Scripture in effort to prove me wrong, but so far all the Scripture used has been Scripture taken out of context, which I expected as I created the post.

No, I did not come into this blindly thinking I would be rained on with an overwhelming replies of "AMEN". I knew I would be met with opposition. There is only one person who does not want you to know the truth, and that is Satan. God wants you to obey His commandments, Satan wants you to disobey His commandments.

Many people seem to be like this :godisgood: but they are really like this :sleeping_2:. It's truly sad, but no surprise. I too was sleeping thinking I was alive, when my spiritual blindness was taken away, YIKES! I gotta tell you, once you see the truth, it is hard to fathom how I did not see these things before, but Satan is so cunning that he easily has people deceived.

The majority of people are NOT following what God's Word says, the majority is following doctrines of devil's. Preachers read the Bible then give "their" interpretation of what it means either according to their belief or what they have been taught in seminary. My uncle for example: I would quote the Scripture, and he would say "accoding to John MacArthur..." Guess what? God isn't going to bust out John MacArthur's commentaries and judge according to his beliefs. Not Charles Stanley, not Benny Hinn, not Billy Graham, not the Pope, not your preacher. The ONLY word God will be judging us by is His Word.

Ken

17. Joe

Joe New Member

oops your answering my questions while I post. Thought you forgot them

Joe

18. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Amy, does a person who is saved immediately becomes obedient to God? No. Isn't the purpose of chastening someone to bring him under subjection? In God's case He chastens us to bring us to repentance of our sins. Have you read Ezekiel chapter 18 yet Amy? Repent means to turn away from sin; God wants us to turn away from sin, but if we fail to do so, then God chastens us in effort to make us obedient as a loving parent would.

There are two ways that a person can sin, that is intentionally, and un-intentionally. To sin intentionally you "KNOW" that what you are going to do is a sin "BEFORE" you do it. To sin un-intentionally, you sin, not knowing what you are doing is a sin. It's a sin nonetheless, but it is being committed without your intentions. God WILL bring it to your attention, then if you commit those sins it will be intentional.

As for the ten commandments; can you make a list of the commandments that are impossible to obey? Seriously? Don't just say all of them, actually list them and give a brief example of why they are impossible to obey. For example...

1) Thou shalt have no other gods.

This commandment is impossible to obey because...

2) Thou shalt not make any graven images, nor thou shalt bow thyself before them or serve them.

This commandments is impossible to obey because...

Could you do that for me it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Ken

19. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
    (Phi 3:12-14)

20. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

LOL it takes me awhile to get to them, but I do try to reply. The only time I will not reply is...

1) If the person starts using vain examples to prove their point. For example; a Catholic tried to prove me wrong about the Bible being the only book we need to know God's truth by using water as an example. He said: "Water is profitable for your health, but good luck in maintaining your health by only using water."

That was in regards to 2Timothy 3:16-17. The Catholics believe that you need a combination of the Chruch, the Scripture and Sacred Traditions to know the full truth.

2) I will have days I am online, and days I'm not online. So it can be days if ever get back to these threads. And if I do, there is usually too many posts to sift through to read. So I either start a new topic or I'll reply to another topic.

Other than that I do try to reply to all the posts.

Ken