1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The CorporaState that Ate America

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is the cost of production in terms of hte bottom line. A company cannot do business without taxes. That has to be built into the cost.

I doubt it very seriousliy. If they did, they would be in debt or out of business. You can't sell things at a loss without being debt ridden or bankrupt.

These things are economics 101. It's not rocket science.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Wrong. Companies pay taxes on profits not on the cost of goods sold.

2) I've spent 29 years + 3 summers in the oil industry and my dad worked for about 33 years in the oil industry. I imagine I have forgotten more about the oil industry than you know about the oil industry.

An integrated oil company, such as the one I work for, has profit centers at the wellhead, the refinery gate, and at the retail pump. The only consistent profit maker is at the wellhead. The refinery business and the retail business both make and lose money at various points in time - usually within even the same calendar year.

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know many of you believe big business is bad. The leftists have been conditioning you to believe that for many years now. The facts are that businesses in the US have helped give this world the greatest standard of living in history. The leftists cannot stand success and are busy tearing it down. They desire failure so they can effect control. Look what's happened to health care, and medications. The government has created a climate in HC, through litigious legislations, so a provider has so many hoops to jump through, and a myriad of tests to perform, just to cover their backs, that costs have skyrocketed. And we still can't get Canadian or Mexican prescriptions at vast discounts.

If you want to try blaming some worthy ones start with the unions that have demanded from the big 3 automakers, so much in wages and benefits, that it's easy for the automakers throughout the world to compete. Japanese auto workers labor cost are less than half ours, even factoring in govt. retirement. Yet we compete.

Of course there are bad people in all walks of life, that do some wrong headed and even illegal things, but they've employed millions of workers, that raise millions of families, with a very high standard of living.

This systematic attack on big business is wrong, but will continue.

4. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I will agree with you that Unions are a part of the problem in th auto industry in America they are just as guilty fo greed as the big coorperate guys.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact is that American workers built this nation's economy and helped give this world the greatest standard of living in history.

6. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Very, Very true KenH.
    My father was a pipeline welder for most of his life. those pipelines would not have been laid had it not been for these hard working guys.

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

That's right. Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy corporations have resulted in literally millions of jobs for those in India, China, South America, and dozens of other places where American jobs have been outsourced to other countries because the labor is cheap.

The fact of the matter is that corporations pay dividends to share holders, generally the 12% of Americans wealthy enough to own shares of corporations in large quantities, who reside in tax brackets with breaks that most of us could only dream of belonging to. Reinvestment in infrastructure and increased wages for workers are the last things to be taken out of the profits. :tonofbricks:

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, unfortunately, Rocko 9, nowadays it's the hard workers who are not being properly rewarded.

The middle class is being destroyed in this country. Before long I am afraid that it will be the top 1% living in luxury and the other 99% of us just scraping by. But we know from Luke chapter 16 how that will eventually play itself out.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our nation's business leaders have fallen a long, long way from the time when Henry Ford realized that he needed to pay his workers well enough so that they could afford to buy one of the cars they were producing.

10. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Wow. Christians advocating for big business. Ever read the book of Acts? Guess not.

11. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

What on earth else would they do with profits? Oh, I know, take it for themselves. Doing so would be foolish. Squandering past opportunities? What do you mean by that? Are you privy to investment strategies of these companies? If you are, please tell me so I can invest accordingly.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, by and large that is what big business does by paying enormous bonuses to upper management, buying back stock, and raising dividends.

Yes, they do reinvest a portion of the profits back into their business but they could do so much more to improve their products, lower their prices, and give a larger share of the profits to their workers.

13. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Word on the street says Enron would be a good buy.:thumbs:

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The Carlyle Group and Blackwater would be safe investments, or any other company that has "partnered up" with government for that matter as long as people fear their own shadows and the unitary decider can keep wars going the profits will keep rolling in.

15. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

The enormous bonuses, don't amount to a hill of beans in the overall scheme of things.

How do you know what they "could" do to improve their products? How do they lower their prices, while giving workers more?

Why lower prices below the level of profitability they are comfortable with now?

Why on earth "give" workers more of their profits than they now collectively demand?

You need some learnin'.

16. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/25/news/economy/ceo_bonuses/?cnn=yesl
    CEOs at the nation's top corporations saw their bonuses soar by nearly half to more than $1 million last year, according to a published report.

Pretty good sizable hill of beans

Constant improvement on quality is always the goal of any business

Why wouldn't it make good business sense to lower prices on goods and make it up in quantity

The trick is to screen for good reliable workers who would be more than mere robot zombies. Cheap labor produces cheap products and lots of waste. Pay workers to produce good products and reward them. workers shouldn't have to demand if they are treated fairly by their employers.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you apparently need some Bible learnin'.

James 5:5 (ESV)
    [5] You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.