1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Crux of Keeping the Sabbath Day Contention

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hark, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pharisees were bringing an accusation to Jesus about His disciples for gathering on the sabbath day as profaning the sabbath day.

Jesus did not say by any exception in the law of the sabbath day how His disciples were guiltless.

Instead, Jesus responded by giving them two examples of how O.T. saints had profaned the sabbath while in the temple, but were blameless.

He gave those two examples to show why His disciples were guiltless because something greater than the temple was in this place where Jesus and the Pharisees were at as to why His disciples were guiltless.

Ask Jesus at that throne of grace on what He meant by that.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I keep the Sabbath. There have been approximately 2973 since I was born, and since I haven't lost any of them, I've kept them.

3. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how do you keep the sabbath day?

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By not losing it.

5. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you consider any answers to the questions in the OP?

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

7. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Just asking. Not many sabbath day keepers has answer for those questions in the OP.

Thank you for sharing.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You're about 60 years old and you are a Wednesday crucifixionist.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Confession of Faith
    I believe in God, the Almighty, Father, Creator
    of heavens and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ his only-begotten Son, our Lord,
    conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary,
    who under Pontius Pilate suffered and was crucified,
    who descended into hell, died and was buried
    and on the third day according to the Scriptures rose
    from the dead,
    who ascended to heaven and sits on the right hand of
    the power of God,
    hence He shall come to judge the living and the dead,
    I believe in the Holy Spirit;
    I believe one Christian Church of the elect,
    the holy communion of believers,
    the forgiveness of sin, the everlasting life and the resurrection,
    in the glorified body of flesh.

I believe the Scriptures, the true, only and closed canon
    of authority for and in the faith, doctrine and living.
    God speaks in the Scriptures
    through his Spirit in the Congregation
    of the Son in Whom we have life.

The Election of God :
    The reconciliation and justification in Jesus Christ of those
    according to God’s Eternal Predestination and Purpose
    in Covenant of Grace elected and
    in the Baptism of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit
    sealed and attested in regeneration and sanctification
    of repentance and conversion, of redemption from sin, and
    of growth and perseverance in faith.

The Lord’s Supper of bread, wine and the washing of feet,
    as through faith partaking
    of Jesus Christ, of his body and of his blood,
    his Salvation proclaiming and Return expecting.

The Lord’s Day
    the Sabbath of the Lord thy God,
    for God concerning the Seventh Day thus spoke,
    and God on the Seventh Day from all his works rested
    according to the working of the exceeding greatness
    of his mighty power which He wrought in Christ
    when He raised Him from the dead
    and finished all his works He had made
    to reign, the King, for ever and ever.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ Home Assemblies Reformed Protestant Faith

To joy in the Fellowship of Christians persuaded by God of the sanctity of the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD your God for to be the Lord Jesus’ Day of Worship-Rest.

The urgency of Sabbaths’ celebration for the Christian Faith and Church, springs from the knowledge of the energy of God’s operation in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Ephesians 1:17-23.

The Sabbath, its engagement and enjoyment, are grounded in Divine Election and Predestination and realised in the “Gospel of God concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord”, whom God the Father “Declared the Son of God with Power according to the Spirit of Holiness by resurrection from the dead:— by Whom we have received Grace for the obedience of the Faith for His Name among all nations, among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ, to the end ye may be established and comforted by the mutual faith in the Gospel of His Son.” Romans 1:1...12.

Therefore we remember and celebrate “The Lord’s Day”, Sabbaths’ Eating and Drinking of the Lord’s Feast, holding to the Head nourishment being ministered, growing with the growth of God, proclaiming Jesus Christ Raised from the dead. (Col2:12-19)

“Where two or three are gathered together
    in My Name, there I am in the midst of them.”

We are not a ‘Church’ – new, or, another!
    We do not take money or favours!
    We don’t have nor desire an ‘earthly tabernacle’ to worship!
    We do not want ‘growth’ in numbers!
    We do not ‘count the nation’ or record attendance!
    We do not baptise!
    We do not convert!
    We are few, and will stay few.
    We believe because God had given us faith first.
    We love because God first loved us.
    We love the Fellowship of Christ, and in Christ.
    We love the Name of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    We love the fear of God and His Word Proclaimed.
    We love the pure Gospel of God’s free Grace.
    We love the knowledge and increase in the knowledge of Christ.
    We are not ashamed of, nor let ourselves be judged with regard to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (Ro1:16, Col2:16)
    Therefore we remember and celebrate “The Lord’s Day” Sabbaths’ Eating and Drinking of the Lord’s Feast, holding to the Head nourishment being ministered, growing with the growth of God, proclaiming Jesus Christ Raised from the dead. (Col2:12-19)
    “For this cause we do not cease to pray that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.” (Col1:9)
    ‘Singing in our heart to the Lord’, we ‘sing with the spirit and with understanding’, ‘speaking to ourselves in Psalms’. (Col3:16, 1Cor14:15, Eph5:9,19)
    We abhor self-righteousness or ‘legalism’.
    We abhor self-satisfaction or complacency.
    We abhor boasting or distinction of men.

Join in Sabbath’s Celebration and Fellowship through the study and proclamation of the Word ‘according to the Scriptures’...

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sola fides
    Sola gratia
    Solus Christos
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Sola Scriptura
    … TULIP …
    … OSAS …

“O that I may know HIM, and, the POWER OF HIS RESURRECTION” ---THEN I shall be a believer of the Sabbath, “the day the Seventh Day Sabbath-of-the-LORD GOD”. O Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner!

We lament and reject the (sectarian) disregard and denial of the historical Christian Church as The One Catholic Holy Communion of Believers and Body of Christ's Own of all times and all peoples.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Dear Hark, as my daughter's school's headmaster always told the pupils, Will you please go through that exit and that exit. I am asking you friendly and civilly . . . I am asking you now, What did Jesus mean by what? By abrogating the Sabbath, or, by abrogating the disciples 'sins'?! Jesus absolved his disciples' transgressions---all their iniquities. You are o so right!!! Please my man, tell me who differed with you and I will personally go give that man an afranseling he'll never forget!

Now as a matter of incidental fact, I'm not saying Jesus didn't cancel out annul the Sabbath AND its so called Fourth Commandment. He did! Don't say it with the tongue in the cheek, believe it and believe it with all your heart!!!

Jesus abrogated the Sabbath and the Law of the Sabbath --- his OWN Sabbath Day and his OWN Law concerning it. You are right, o so right these modern day Pharisees' clever sidestepping the real issues with hypocritical all too holy better than thou attitude judgmentalism know exactly what's really the issue with their Sabbatarianism but will never! never let the finger follow the words in the lines of the Scriptures where Jesus cursed the Pharisees the seas can't wash his insults off. You vipers of Sabbatharian Pharisees and Sadusees, Jesus today would have said just like He said to the Jews way back then. But Jesus would say something else today. He also would say, You vipers Firstdayers sacerdotal spirituals!

And you will notice Jesus not once would say, the cursed Seventh Day Sabbath! No, He wouldn't say the cursed holy Sunday either. But He wouldn't say it of Sunday and Sundayists because He had never had anything in common with Sunday and Sunday holiness and Sunday saints, while the day The Seventh Day Sabbath has never been something else than what is was and will be---the Sabbath OF THE LORD FOR THE PEOPLE OF THE LORD. Therefore there has never been anything in Sunday and everything in connection with it to Jesus Christ. Not before; not today . . . except that the vogue Sundayisms is of the same odour to Him as the burning tyres' smoke in his nostrils as the hypocrisy and self-righteousness from the pit of wickedness of every man's heart.

But despite the Sabbath has always been the only and exclusive Day-of-Worship-Rest of His People and of the "LORD, YOUR" the People's,"GOD", Jesus "took it out of the way". And He took it out of the way ... HOW?! As you said, Hark, BY HIS PRESENCE!

No no no no no not that ~Jesus became our Sabbath~ as the Sunday hypocrites claim, but that Jesus became our REST of the Sabbath and hopefully on the Sabbath as well.

Is that not what the Christ was or should have been for the People-of-God in Old Testament times as well? Exactly! But that exactly was what God's People lacked in OT times no different than God's People in NT times has always lacked it. Hebrews 3 and 4 no doubt! It is not accompanied by Faith says the writer.

Always again "God finds fault with "THEM", the People. Never with it, the Sabbath or the covenant or whatever ... NEVER!

Meanwhile all is dead silent about Sunday and all its holinesses and all too holinesses. Not God the Father or God the Son or God the Holy Spirit wants to say something about man's First Day of the week Sabbathism also called Sundaydarianism or Sunday worship or Sunday sacredness.

Fact remains, Jesus annulled the Sabbath Commandment and the Sabbath at once. But He did not do it on occasion of his disputes with the Jews whenever. Because, WHO ARE the Jews? They didn’t “make the Sabbath”; God in Jesus Christ, “made the Sabbath” God in Jesus Christ through Jesus Christ for the sake of Jesus Christ the Son of Man “made the Sabbath” ---“for man” for the sake of God’s salvation of man and mankind. It has always been so. God annulled the creation Sabbath and replaced it with his, Redemption from Egypt, Sabbath. And “in these last days . . . God---again as in times past through the prophets, THUS, CONCERNING THE SABBATH SPAKE : BY THE SON!”

I must finish my story in a hurry . . . or go on with it at a later time . . . to see HOW and WHEN God through Jesus Christ abolished the Sabbath of the OT : which was also the New Sabbath of the New Testament. So I shall only remind you of how Jesus died for our sins and for our righteous, and ROSE FROM THE DEAD for our justification and righteousness : “THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS” : “on the Sabbath” and “made the Sabbath for man” and for mankind THROUGH THE SON.

Good night . . . or Good morning!

13. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Gerhard,

How long have the christian churches been worshipping on Sunday?

Do you think christian churches know that they are supposed to worship on the sabbath if they have been raised to believe otherwise?

If it was changed way back whenever by some diabolical professing believers in Christ and as time went on, it just became traditional, do you really think it is fair to apply the current day Sunday worshipers as diabolical or deceptive?

Do you think that Jesus's saying, "Father.. forgive them for they know not what they do" applies?

As it is, brother Gerhard, I do not believe it is wrong to worship on Sunday or any day or not worship on the sabbath day, because Jesus is in me and He is able to make me stand by His righteousness alone apart from the law.

It is not our righteousness by the law that glorifies Him in heaven. It is His righteousness apart from the law that justifies every one that believes in Him as He alone is able to present us faultless in Heaven.

I think it is wrong to judge others for worshiping on a Sunday because that would be like saying that Jesus could not justify them by His righteousness alone.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

That is why we are free now to worship Him on the sabbath day, Sunday, or any day of the week because we are no longer keeping the sabbath day to become His people; for because of Him in us, we are His people.

You have Jesus Christ in you. He is the One that justifies you for believing in Him and it is His righteousness that is bringing you Home; it is not by keeping the sabbath day as if His righteousness is not enough.

That way, you do not have to worry about how well you keep the sabbath day, because you know His righteousness is bringing you Home.

Read what believing in Jesus Christ does for you in how He will present you holy, unblameable, and unreproveable in Heaven.

Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

I just do not see keeping the sabbath day in all of that promise from God.

I do not attend church on Sunday. I used to attend church on Sunday, but I am free to worship Him any day of the week, including the sabbath day.

I hope you understand why I do not believe I have to keep the sabbath day because of my faith in Him, but I am free to honor Him on the sabbath day or any day of the week, including Sunday.

Even if you still disagree, thanks for listening, brother Gerhard.

I just believe that you can please God by honoring Him on the sabbath day as long as you know it is His righteousness alone that is bringing you Home, but judging other believers for not keeping the sabbath day does not come across as believing Him that His righteousness alone is able to bring you Home.

A music video for you, Brother Gerhard

#33 Hark, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's with this telling me what I am? especially when it ain't true?

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just thought I'd throw a stone where the mighty lion lies sleeping. Very sorry I ever did!

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A grade 9 or 10 pupil in our age knows 10 times more than the most learned professors of a few hundred years ago, how much more than the illiterate masses of the first Christian centuries. No comparison is possible. In the dark ages whole populations were like cattle herded together and baptised . . . or they had to loose their heads.

That was one reason the apostles received direct Divine authenticity and authority. Again, there is no comparison to be made between the authority of the first Christians and any others after them. If we are to follow the apologists and colleagues from mid second century, today, Christianity would have looked very different if it still would have existed.

The Christian Faith rests on NOTHING than the Scriptures and the invisible, unobtrusive, silent, irresistible moving of God’s Holy Spirit among humans to discover Christ IN THE PAGES OF THE SCRIPTURES.

Protestantism rejects the church and its traditions from their inception. And all people today at all interested in the Faith of Jesus through the working of the Spirit of Christ ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES, are informed people . . . very well informed. But the gross of people who in our age got interested but not through the Scriptures or in the Scriptures, got interested under the influence and impressions put at their disposal by the church—the false church, and their own, false spirit. Christianity today is the most corrupt society on the globe; itself, is the great awaited anti-Christ. It rules and dictates world-events like it rules and tyrannises men’s conscience and thought-processes. Christianity had bridled free-will, sovereignty, freedom, independence to enslave the world its masses and its every individual citizen.

May God protect us not to land under the ruins of the presently crumbling tumbling falling Babylon of the Apocalypse. How many innocent might be the victims, God knows who are his. But how many ignorant are its victims is obvious—NONE! Every one of them find themselves walking after the false prophet (who is not Mohammed) like zombies by their own choice . . . their choice in defiance of the Old Book and Archaic Faith of its content.

I myself is min gespin; I don’t care! Let everyone give reason—and account—, for his cock-suredness and scoffing at the Bible. The Bible! There’s the only issue! Who takes the Bible seriously today?

The interesting thing—the thing that baffles me—is the pinpoint point where the buss stops and EVERYBODY gets off the Scriptures, or up the Scriptures. That buss stop is where we, have been stopping right now. Whether you like it, or not, “the day The Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD GOD” is the “sign” over their heads which scarcely any passenger has as much as become aware of, what has read it or paid attention to it IN THE SCRIPTURES.

#36 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry, I have so long thrown all my music apparatus literally 'over the wall'. I might soon follow but for God's grace.

18. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem here is that scripture in the N.T. does validate the church practices of collection on Sunday and even the disciples breaking of bread on that day too.

It was on the sabbath day was when the disciples were out to the Jewish synagogues in reaching out to the Jews in the book of Acts. That was the prime time for outward ministry to the Jews. They were not worshiping on the sabbath morning in those Jewish synagogues.

Just try holding a christian service in a Jewish synagogue today and you would get kicked out, brother. So in no way were the disciples holding christian services in those Jewish synagogues.

They were reaching out to the Jews subtlety by way of reading the scripture that ties in with the Good News in Christ.

An example of this can be seen by how a non-christian Jew named Apollos was reading the scripture in those Jewish synagogues until Aquila & Priscilla expounded to him the word of God more perfectly and then Apollos became a believer in Jesus Christ to be received by the disciples.

Acts 18: 24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. 26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly. 27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

The scripture also explains why the fourth commandment is not included in the New Covenant as the Old Covenant vanishes away.

Hebrews 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

So how did the fourth commandment vanished away with the Old Covenant under the New Covenant?

Matthew 12:1-8 has Jesus giving two examples of why O.T. saints that had profaned the sabbath day were blameless because of them being in the temple.

Remember how in the O.T. under the Old Covenant, God's presence was in the Temple? That was why the O.T. saints were blameless because they were in God's Presence in that Temple.

And Jesus said one greater than the temple was in that place where He and the Pharisees were at, meaning Jesus Christ Himself.

His disciples were guiltless because Jesus was with them on that sabbath day. Jesus Christ being God and with His disciples on that sabbath day was why His disciples were guiltless that sabbath day.

Just as you are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day because Jesus Christ is in you and thus with you always.

Therefore the sabbath day is not longer "lord" over you. Jesus is.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure you're forgiven, even by some lion that's lyin' in his sleep.

20. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.