1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Danger of Open Theism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PastorFaulk, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Only in your mind

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

So Allen, are you saying that a Southern Baptist Pastor who believes in Open Theism is not a liberal?

3. PastorFaulk

PastorFaulk New Member

I would agree that we as baptist are getting a bit of a liberal black eye. It is why we must take steps to protect the true faith of Christianity. Open Theism is just apart of a downward spiral to denying the existance of God... First chip away at God's attributes, then he will be a weak idol that isn't worthy of worship. Any pastor who teaches such should dealt with biblically, by personall confrentation, and they slowly widen the circle of influence until he either calls open theism what it is, heresy, or the church must move to find a shepherd who wont deny God.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Pastor Faulk, welcome to the board.
    I am new to the idea of open theism but it is a natural end of free will theology.
    I first heard of the open theism theology listening to a series called "Of God's Decree" by a reformed Baptist Pastor from California.
    It was excellent.
    I am glad you have taken the time to expose this heresy.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Funny, my pastor went to Howard Payne.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is not the natural end of free will theology. Is fatalism the natural end of your theology?

7. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

webdog: let us join where we can and agree when we can. i will give you an amen and agree with your point wholeheartedly.

Open theism is a rejection of easily understood passages.

The free will/Calvinist debate is not so easy to make a Biblical decision on, that is my humble opinion. It is much like the OSAS argument and anti-argument, each side having varying verses and sometimes the same verses to prove their side. I have not seen credible examples of scripture to back up open theism in the least.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Pastor Faulk, didn't you play Columbo? I loved that show.

9. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

:laugh: Random... but funny. Methinks you need to go to sleep.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Here's the issue as I see it...

Free will is "dead" if there is not a point in eternity past that God didn't know whether I would believe or not. His knowing makes it His decision.

Now what He can do and does do is foresee that I will choose Him -- something He didn't know the instant before He knew/learned it. Furthermore, He "learned" all this "before the foundation of the world" as He knew everything else before He set creation in motion.

But God could hardly be the self-existent cause if He knew everything already. To know everyting already is for everything to be as eternal as He is -- and without previous cause as He is.

Put another way, God knows the "effect" He intends to have in creation and for inanimate objects, He can dictate the effect. But with any being that is created in His image with free will, the effect (salvation) can be foreseen but it cannot be fore-assured (predestined) until it is foreseen or foreknown, as Paul puts it in Rom 8:29.

skypair

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Using that logic, then God chose to cause Adam to fall, and chooses to cause all to sin also.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who said there's no open theists on BB?

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yup. I put this on par with SP's statement that God tries to save everyone but fails. We need to put a few more limits on God beyond that - He's not quite as feeble as man yet.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I continue to be stunned by those who are willing to diminish God and put him in their own theological box because they cannot allow him to be truly Sovereign.

2. Lost and wicked mean do not like the Sovereignty of God in all things. They just don't.

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're confusing God's desires with His intentions...

God desires that all come to be in right relationship with Him.
    He intends, at least for a time, to uphold a situation where humankind is free to reject Him.

The free will position maintains that God does not dictate all the actions of humanity, but instead enables us a to have shocking amount of freedom to do good or evil.

Humankind is free to exercise our will within the bounds/context of His permissive will.

God is sovereign is that He has designated the bounds/context of His permissive will and will one day end that indulgence toward those who persist in sin and call everyone to an account on the day of judgment.

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

That's RIGHT -- but it's SO WRONG!!

Do you see the insanity now?

skypair

#36 skypair, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  17. skypair

skypair Active Member

Npeterely, J.D., John Calvin --- If God IS our mind such that He never wonders what we will do, then indeed, we are not sovereign over our own lives. Truly then, fate is EVERYTHING and you are a "trophy wife!" :laugh: Go boast on the 1000 karat "ring" you THINK you have, but I think Satan is gonna want it back!

skypair

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thank you, BaptistBeliever -- wisdom is SO scarce aroung here! :thumbs:

skypair

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In the words of Scripture, "Salvation is of the Lord."

2. We are willing to let God be God. Apparently you are not.

3. That which God has begun in us He will complete it at the coming of Christ (Phil.1:6), for it is Him who works in us both to will and to do according to His good pleasure.

4. We are simply putting God where He belongs, while others are willing to dethrone Him.

5. You continue to show your lack of understanding for the Sovereignty of God in all things when you continue to use that word "FATE."

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

We? Are you SURE YOU are one of the saved? Let's see -- is God TOTALLY sovereign in YOUR life 24/7/365?? Are you ALWAYS doing His "good pleasure?" How sovereign is He in YOUR life? If you are "putting God where He belongs," no doubt these questions will be too trivial to answer, right?

skypair

#40 skypair, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007